Asking biglaw partner for clerkship rec Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Asking biglaw partner for clerkship rec

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:41 pm

Hi all, what's the view on asking a biglaw mentor partner to write a recommendation? I'm sort of a new hire so I'm worried it will piss him off or raise a red flag (that I'm a flight risk). Is there a good way to go about doing this?

There's actually mainly one clerkship I'm extremely interested in because its a perfect match for the line of work I do. In fact, I might only be applying to the one clerkship, so I'm a bit worried if I don't get it (likely) I would be wasting the partner's time. On the other hand, if I get it, the experience I'd get through this clerkship would be absolutely invaluable to the firm.

Any thoughts appreciated.

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Asking biglaw partner for clerkship rec

Post by rpupkin » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:01 pm

Has the big law partner worked with you a fair amount? Is he in a position to comment on the quality of your work and your character? If the answer to those questions is "no," then asking for a rec is probably a bad idea regardless. But if the partner knows you well enough to write a strong rec, then I'd check in with a senior associate you trust about how the firm views associates leaving to clerk. If the firm has been supportive in the past, then I'd ask the partner for a rec.

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Re: Asking biglaw partner for clerkship rec

Post by radio1nowhere » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:26 pm

Here's the strat: if the partner has clerked, ask them about their clerkship experience — they will very likely talk about how great it was. Then ask if they think clerking was good for their career. They will likely say yes again. Then later you can be like "so I really took to heart what you said about clerking and I'm starting to look into going the same route; would you consider recommending me?" :mrgreen:
rpupkin wrote:Has the big law partner worked with you a fair amount? Is he in a position to comment on the quality of your work and your character? If the answer to those questions is "no," then asking for a rec is probably a bad idea regardless.
Yeah this too, especially since you say you're a new hire. Make sure the partner has seen enough of your work to be comfortable recommending you + have substantive things to say.
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a bit worried if I don't get it (likely) I would be wasting the partner's time.
FWIW, my non-faculty recommender asked me to write a first draft of the rec letter to save her time. Dunno if this is common or not, but you could consider offering it maybe?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”