New District Court Clerk—When Does It Get Easier? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

New District Court Clerk—When Does It Get Easier?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:22 am

One week down in my district court clerkship in flyover country. I'm feeling a little shell-shocked, and a bit like a chimpanzee with a machine gun.

When did people figure out what the hell was going on in their clerkships? The other clerk in chambers has been fairly helpful, but everyone keep asking if I have questions, and I don't even know what I'm supposed to be asking about. I've been working about 8 to 8 and I'm just barely keeping my head above water. I'm sure I'm inefficient as hell right now, but off the top of my head, I have 5 memos or opinions to be submitted by mid-week.

Also, the editing process with the judge is ... less than robust. There is very little back-and-forth unless there are major disagreements in the application of the law. My legal writing is fine, and I am at least decent at self-editing but its still pretty scary. I'm not sure there's much that can we done w/r/t this but it just adds to the stress.

Anonymous User

Re: New District Court Clerk—When Does It Get Easier?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:53 pm

Just finished my first week as well, and I can really relate to your experience. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing most of the time. And, as you said, I don't know what I should be asking.

I'm mostly fine when told "write a memo/opinion on X," although I'm still not really confident with it. But the day to day stuff I really am confused and feel way in over my head (when to issue orders and what orders, for example).

Sorry I don't have any advice to help you, but just letting you know you're not alone feeling lost.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One week down in my district court clerkship in flyover country. I'm feeling a little shell-shocked, and a bit like a chimpanzee with a machine gun.

When did people figure out what the hell was going on in their clerkships? The other clerk in chambers has been fairly helpful, but everyone keep asking if I have questions, and I don't even know what I'm supposed to be asking about. I've been working about 8 to 8 and I'm just barely keeping my head above water. I'm sure I'm inefficient as hell right now, but off the top of my head, I have 5 memos or opinions to be submitted by mid-week.

Also, the editing process with the judge is ... less than robust. There is very little back-and-forth unless there are major disagreements in the application of the law. My legal writing is fine, and I am at least decent at self-editing but its still pretty scary. I'm not sure there's much that can we done w/r/t this but it just adds to the stress.
The bolded is extremely common: lots of judges manage their clerks this way regardless of how experienced they are. Just a function of how much work there is to get done and what your role is. Like you said, there's not much to be done about it, but I understand why it's a little anxiety inducing.

Anecdotally, a lot of people I've talked to didn't really feel comfortable until several months in.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:14 pm

6-8 months

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:30 pm

When I started as a district court clerk in fIyover country, I overlapped with one of the smartest people I know. He told me he had no idea what he was doing when he started and that it took him four months to figure things out. I drew comfort from that comment in the months ahead. I don't remember when I started to feel on top of things but I think four months is about right.

All that to say, what you're feeling is normal. It's not you; it's the job. Work hard, try your best, ask questions, correct mistakes, and know that you'll come out the other side having experienced enormous growth. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”