Clerking for a Magistrate Judge Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Maj2017

New

Clerking for a Magistrate Judge

Post by Maj2017 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:31 pm

I worked in big law for a few years following law school and now plan to clerk for a federal magistrate judge for a one-year term. I loved litigation and many aspects of my job; however, as happens to a lot of young associates in big law, I suffered burnout. I hated that most of my personal life had somehow fallen by the wayside. Most of the other associates that started with me either left or were themselves pretty miserable. One of my former fellow associates went on to clerk full time for a magistrate and convinced me to give it a try.

I'm excited at the prospect of trying my hand at clerking, but most of the advice/publications I've found really only address district courts or COA positions. I would be thankful for any advice or perspective on what to expect, particularly with respect to work/life balance. I understand that a lot of it really depends upon the judge and jurisdiction, but general terms will suffice for now. Thanks in advance!

mjb447

Silver

Re: Clerking for a Magistrate Judge

Post by mjb447 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:36 pm

There's not much of an answer beyond it depends on the judge and district, though. I know several MJ clerks who regularly leave at 5, and I know several MJ clerks who are regularly at the office until 6:30 or 7. I don't think many are as bad as biglaw, but some probably are. Can you talk to any former clerks?

Maj2017

New

Re: Clerking for a Magistrate Judge

Post by Maj2017 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:59 pm

mjb447 wrote:There's not much of an answer beyond it depends on the judge and district, though. I know several MJ clerks who regularly leave at 5, and I know several MJ clerks who are regularly at the office until 6:30 or 7. I don't think many are as bad as biglaw, but some probably are. Can you talk to any former clerks?

I understand what you're saying but even that is encouraging. TBH, leaving at 6:30 or 7 will feel like a part time job.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”