Location vs. reputation Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Location vs. reputation

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:37 pm

I have seen many people on tls refer to the special value of clerking for a judge on the 2nd, 9th or DC circuit.
Is it true that these clerkships are better regarded than other appellate clerkships?
How are they regarded in comparison to clerkships with feeders/semi-feeders elsewhere in the country?

Lavitz

Gold

Re: Location vs. reputation

Post by Lavitz » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:07 pm

This conversation happened last month if you want to read through it: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... #p10060135

FWIW, I agree with rpupkin and I'm not sure I'd have much to add.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:07 pm

I think that's partially because lots of TLSers want to work in NY/CA/DC afterward (a clerkship where you want to practice is almost always better than a comparable clerkship somewhere else) or because a clerkship in one of these circuits may give you experience in certain areas (e.g. fedgov stuff in DC; big commercial, financial, soft IP etc. matters from SDNY/EDNY/CD Cal/ND Cal) that some employers value. I don't think that there's much of an additional "prestige" bump just for clerking for a random judge on one of these circuits, particularly compared to a feeder elsewhere.

DougEvans789

New

Post by DougEvans789 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:31 am

A few years ago, there was a thread with a SCOTUS clerk, and he/she seemed to be of the view that there were "real" benefits to a CADC clerkship. I think that's basically correct. But apart from that one caveat, I think location doesn't really matter (unless you're looking to impress a handful of people on TLS).

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:37 am

In the vast majority of cases, I would say that it is most valuable to clerk where you want to practice. There are very few people in the profession who care who you clerked for, and in my experience, those people are mainly in the upper-echelon appellate practices or boutiques down in DC. That's not shocking, since those places are filled with people who cared greatly about their relative prestige of the judges they clerked for.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”