Interview with clerks after judge Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Interview with clerks after judge

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:54 pm

I was told that, after my interview with the judge, I would have a second interview with all of the clerks for 30-40 minutes. Is this common, and is it generally an actual interview in the sense of the clerks asking you questions, or more of an opportunity to ask questions about the clerkship? If it's the latter, what type of questions would you ask the clerks that you wouldn't ask the judge?

Anonymous User

Re: Interview with clerks after judge

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:06 am

I've done three clerkship interviews, and every one started with a 30-45 minute interview with the clerks first. They asked typical interview questions.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:42 am

Common enough. Content varies - the clerks usually ask you some questions and you get to ask a few questions, often very much like your interview with the judge. Clerks are obviously in the best position to answer (tactfully phrased) questions about what it's like to work in chambers. (They're not likely to come right out and say that they're having a negative experience if that's the case, but you can see how enthusiastic they seem.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:26 am

Note also that some judges do a good cop/bad cop thing where the judge asks standard questions about your resume, law school experience, and life story while the clerks ask more substantive legal questions.

grand inquisitor

Gold

Post by grand inquisitor » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:34 am

perhaps overbroad, but i have generally taken it as a warning sign when judges don't give you access to their clerks during the interview. i think it says something about the judge that he/she trusts the clerks enough to involve them in the process. you also have to wonder if the judge is worried about what the clerks would say.

with all that said, in my experience the interview with the clerks tends to be more like the interview with young associates at a callback--it's supposed to be the time to get an understanding of what your role would really be and what life would really be like during the clerkship. i think being more relaxed and informal is normal, but be wary bc it's still an interview even if the clerks seem chill af. they will report back to their judge and their loyalty runs to the judge, not to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:12 am

When I interviewed my replacements, we made a point of making the interview was a bit more candid, so they felt comfortable asking certain questions. We met with the applicants after the judge, usually. But sometimes before, dependent 100% on his schedule.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:40 am

In both of my clerkships, the judge did not seek out our input at all on potential candidates. We were solely for the candidate's informational purposes. This is totally idiosyncratic.

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:25 am

My experience:

Judge 1: interviewed with judge and clerks all at the same time at a conference table. Was a mix of candid/friendly, legal hypotheticals, and general philosophy questions.

Judge 2: Interviewed with judge first, then clerks. Judge had some prepared questions in the legal/philosophical vein, but we also just waxed extemporaneously quite a bit. The clerks each had one or two prepared questions, with each having their own theme (one asked about writing approach, one about legal theory, etc), but most of this part was pretty comfortable chatting.

Judge 3: The most awkward interview for sure. Met the judge's JA who was basically a career clerk for all intents and purposes. One of the most awkward people I've ever met. Then interviewed with the judge alone. Very comfortable and casual interview, covered all sorts of topics. The judge had questions prepared and written on my application materials. Then, I interviewed with the clerks and the JA again. Once more, very very awkward.

So basically everyone did it differently.

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:28 am

Oh, and I always asked the clerks about the mix of cases (some judges only have term clerks work on civil stuff), what the judge's process is for writing stuff (do you write a complete version of your opinion and then consult, or do you brainstorm and then write? Piece by piece? Etc), and then also if there is anything that they were unprepared for once they started?

Also, some nice, casual questions about best places to eat/drink nearby and in the city (unless you are from there, of course).

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:02 pm

HillandHollow wrote:Oh, and I always asked the clerks about the mix of cases (some judges only have term clerks work on civil stuff), what the judge's process is for writing stuff (do you write a complete version of your opinion and then consult, or do you brainstorm and then write? Piece by piece? Etc), and then also if there is anything that they were unprepared for once they started?

Also, some nice, casual questions about best places to eat/drink nearby and in the city (unless you are from there, of course).
All the posts in this thread are good. OP, the most important thing is to be flexible; you should pay attention to the tone of your interviews. If the tone of the clerks is casual and friendly, then HillandHollow's suggestion in the bolded is fine. But if this is one of those judges who has his clerks grill the applicant, then don't try to turn the interview into a conversation about restaurants.

The general interview rule—don't be weird—definitely applies to your discussion with the clerks. Go with the flow. Don't force questions/answers you've practiced into the conversation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”