How bad is not promptly returning a message? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

How bad is not promptly returning a message?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:39 pm

I got a call to interview for a clerkship on Friday, but the message they left was inaudible, and it was from a number labeled unknown. I was camping without internet, so I just assumed it was spam and went on with my life. Today I remembered the message and googled the number, realized it was a chambers I'd sent a paper application to quite a while ago, called, apologized, and set up an interview ASAP.

I realize I was super-dumb, but am I already sunk?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Re: How bad is not promptly returning a message?

Post by kellyfrost » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:45 pm

Personally, I would be more put off and disinterested because you went somewhere without cell phone service or Internet access. Not a good look to start right out the gate being that guy who likes to go off the grid.

Just my two cents, so take it for what it's worth. My work cell phone is never more than an arms length away from me at any time.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:56 pm

kellyfrost wrote:Personally, I would be more put off and disinterested because you went somewhere without cell phone service or Internet access. Not a good look to start right out the gate being that guy who likes to go off the grid.

Just my two cents, so take it for what it's worth. My work cell phone is never more than an arms length away from me at any time.
Is it really unacceptable to go camping in a rural area in the summer?

FWIW, I don't think I provided the reason, just said that the message was silent, and I was sorry for not following up.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:Personally, I would be more put off and disinterested because you went somewhere without cell phone service or Internet access. Not a good look to start right out the gate being that guy who likes to go off the grid.

No, it's not, and the above is silly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:02 pm

Exact same thing recently happened to me. Chambers called and left an inaudible voicemail. I thought nothing of it until I got a follow-up email asking me to confirm that I was no longer interested in the clerkship. I immediately called back, explained, and scheduled an interview. Got an offer the day after.

Chances are the judge will never hear about the mix-up. You've still got an interview, and as good a shot as you had before. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

FWIW, I don't think I provided the reason, just said that the message was silent, and I was sorry for not following up.
As long as you don't provide the reason or give a vague reason then you should be fine.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:17 pm

It is perfectly fine to go somewhere out of cell phone range. Like probably all the worthwhile places to camp have terrible cell service.

I don't think the reason has to come up, but if it does, it doesn't matter.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:23 pm

I hope you do get the interview, I truly do. I just think it is a red flag or potentially a red flag that you are unreachable for extended periods of time like that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:47 pm

The above is ridiculous. A few days before replying, especially with a good reason, is totally fine.

- current COA clerk who has been involved in hiring successors.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:41 pm

You're fine, and they wouldn't bother setting up an interview with you if you were "already sunk."

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:49 pm

kellyfrost wrote:I hope you do get the interview, I truly do. I just think it is a red flag or potentially a red flag that you are unreachable for extended periods of time like that.
OP already got an interview. Also, this is insane. Should we also never get on airplanes in case someone calls?
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:39 am

Kelly Frist is well known for being either a troll or staggeringly unintelligent and misinformed. Disregard everything from that poster.

I agree the mix up probably won't even be on the judge's radar. Good luck with the interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:10 am

Yeah, in my chambers, it wouldn't be held against you as long as you call back and give a reason. But unlike the other chambers described in this thread, mine wouldn't send a reminder email after the voicemail.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, in my chambers, it wouldn't be held against you as long as you call back and give a reason. But unlike the other chambers described in this thread, mine wouldn't send a reminder email after the voicemail.
+1

silenttimer

Bronze

Post by silenttimer » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:25 am

kellyfrost wrote:I hope you do get the interview, I truly do. I just think it is a red flag or potentially a red flag that you are unreachable for extended periods of time like that.
I'm sure glad I don't work with people with your mentality--it would make for a very unpleasant work experience. BTW I'm a senior associate at V50.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Removed

Post by kellyfrost » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:37 am

Removed post...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”