New Judge Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

New Judge

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:21 am

Anyone have any tips for someone clerking for a newly confirmed judge at a federal district court? How can I make both of our lives easier? What are ways I can be proactive?

Anonymous User

Re: New Judge

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:19 am

Hmm... I would say organizational tools and "forms." For example, my chambers has a spreadsheet for each clerk with all of "their" cases on it. (Case number, party names, case type, status, next event, and notes). This helps you know what is coming and I find it easier than IBM notes calendar reminders. Of course, put all all hearings and actual events in the judge's calendar. Does the judge want to create a standing order to organize all cases? Talk about memo format. Talk to clerks in other chambers to see if they have checklists for hearings and trials. Same goes for scheduling orders and pretrial conference orders. New judges get all the "dog" cases so you will be unburying for potentially your whole clerkship. Also, I have heard this from a number of judges, including my own, always set the next deadline when you see the parties, whether that be a status conf/call or a briefing deadline.

Good luck!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”