Bk Clerk->D.Ct. Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Bk Clerk->D.Ct.

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:43 am

Anybody know how D.Ct. judges view bankruptcy clerkships? Been told I have decent stats for a district court gig as an alum and am looking for ways to gain experience in the mean time. Bankruptcy (both personal and corporate) is relevant to my career interests but gunning for lit job generally. Basically, when judges say "prior clerkship experienced preferred" or want post-grad experience, would a bk clerkship check the box?

MrT

Bronze

Re: Bk Clerk->D.Ct.

Post by MrT » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody know how D.Ct. judges view bankruptcy clerkships? Been told I have decent stats for a district court gig as an alum and am looking for ways to gain experience in the mean time. Bankruptcy (both personal and corporate) is relevant to my career interests but gunning for lit job generally. Basically, when judges say "prior clerkship experienced preferred" or want post-grad experience, would a bk clerkship check the box?
Yes. I know several people that have gone this route. That being said, the BK market is getting hot right now, and if you look at the other post-clerkship thread, it's looking bleak right now for district court clerks.

umichman

Bronze

Post by umichman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:35 am

MrT wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody know how D.Ct. judges view bankruptcy clerkships? Been told I have decent stats for a district court gig as an alum and am looking for ways to gain experience in the mean time. Bankruptcy (both personal and corporate) is relevant to my career interests but gunning for lit job generally. Basically, when judges say "prior clerkship experienced preferred" or want post-grad experience, would a bk clerkship check the box?
Yes. I know several people that have gone this route. That being said, the BK market is getting hot right now, and if you look at the other post-clerkship thread, it's looking bleak right now for district court clerks.
if the BK market is hot right now, why would it be bleak for district court clerks?

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:41 am

umichman wrote:
MrT wrote:
if the BK market is hot right now, why would it be bleak for district court clerks?
What? I don't really understand what you mean.

Firms that want to hire for restructuring want someone that has at least glanced at the Code a few times. They are unlikely to hire some district court clerk that spent a year working random criminal and Title VII cases.

umichman

Bronze

Post by umichman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:05 am

MrT wrote:
umichman wrote:
MrT wrote:
What? I don't really understand what you mean.

Firms that want to hire for restructuring want someone that has at least glanced at the Code a few times. They are unlikely to hire some district court clerk that spent a year working random criminal and Title VII cases.
that makes sense. I wasnt saying you were wrong, just wondering the reasoning

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:25 pm

umichman wrote:
MrT wrote:
It's super-tailored (obviously) to BK positions. So if that's your interest it is much easier to get a BK position with a BK clerkship than anything else. I personally would find a new profession if I was stuck doing BK cases all day though, looks pretty miserable from what little I have seen in my time in private practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”