Tell My Firm About Clerkship Interview? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Tell My Firm About Clerkship Interview?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:14 pm

Recently got an interview with a district court judge that I really really want to clerk for. I'm currently a second-year at a biglaw firm. Do I tell my firm about the interview? If so, how do I go about doing it? I'm leaning towards telling them so that I can ask certain partners to be references and possibly leverage connections that people at my firm might have to the judge.

lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Tell My Firm About Clerkship Interview?

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:52 pm

Assuming your firm doesn't look down upon clerkships, I'd tell them. However, I'm not sure how valuable connections will be once you get to the interview stage of it all (although, references can be valuable).

Barrred

Bronze

Post by Barrred » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:49 am

I wouldn't tell "the firm," because they might get annoyed that you want to leave and treat you different/stop giving you good work (even if you dont get the clerkship). That doesn't mean that you cant tell a few people at the firm that you trust (including partners), with the understanding that they will keep it to themselves.

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:41 pm

I just told everyone I was working remotely. No questions asked.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:00 pm

Barrred wrote:I wouldn't tell "the firm," because they might get annoyed that you want to leave and treat you different/stop giving you good work (even if you dont get the clerkship). That doesn't mean that you cant tell a few people at the firm that you trust (including partners), with the understanding that they will keep it to themselves.
This is CR, just make sure you're telling people you can trust.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”