DC Superior Court Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

DC Superior Court Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:13 pm

I heard it's not very prestigious because of the types of cases they do. Would it help getting into a mid to big sized firm doing commercial litigation? How do midlaw firms view it? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: DC Superior Court Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:49 pm

From what I understand, the state-level trial court clerkship itself would not help you get jobs you were not otherwise qualified for. Even though DC Superior Court is an excellent state-level court, DC is a competitive market. However, if your judge helps you network, that relationship may be quite valuable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:58 pm

So if my stats and experience prior to the clerkship wouldn't be sufficient to get an interview or job at a firm, this won't help change that?

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So if my stats and experience prior to the clerkship wouldn't be sufficient to get an interview or job at a firm, this won't help change that?
For biglaw most likely not. If your stats/experience were sufficient before, it won't make a difference. But if they weren't, it will not provide the bump necessary to be competitive. I don't really know enough about midlaw (or even what constitutes "midlaw" in a place like DC) to say for sure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:38 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So if my stats and experience prior to the clerkship wouldn't be sufficient to get an interview or job at a firm, this won't help change that?
For biglaw most likely not. If your stats/experience were sufficient before, it won't make a difference. But if they weren't, it will not provide the bump necessary to be competitive. I don't really know enough about midlaw (or even what constitutes "midlaw" in a place like DC) to say for sure.
Seconded. Do a clerkship for the experience, not the resume line. It will make you more competitive than someone else with similar credentials, but it won't replace an otherwise insufficient resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:39 pm

I'm a superior court clerk. I'm going to a non-immigration DOJ honors component. Its all what you make of it.

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mr. Blackacre wrote:
Seconded. Do a clerkship for the experience, not the resume line. It will make you more competitive than someone else with similar credentials, but it won't replace an otherwise insufficient resume.
For the record, I'd also like to say that D.C. Superior Court is the bomb and some judges there are truly amazing. So with realistic expectations, I would totally do it.

arglenbargle

New

Post by arglenbargle » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:44 pm

What if the associate judge specializes in family court matters? What post-clerk employment options would you have clerking for, essentially, a family court judge?

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:09 pm

arglenbargle wrote:What if the associate judge specializes in family court matters? What post-clerk employment options would you have clerking for, essentially, a family court judge?
Probably opportunities to work for family law firms, which are mostly solo / 2-5 sized firms. Don't know anything about the family law market in DC, but I'd have a long think about it before getting into that area of practice. Family law is probably the most contentious area of law, with the least reasonable clients. It can be soul-crushing to deal with the emotional drama in/out, and getting paid / having to respond to lots of bar complaints is a real pain.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From what I understand, the state-level trial court clerkship itself would not help you get jobs you were not otherwise qualified for.
Putting aside networking opps, this is probably true of A3 clerkships as well, FWIW.

JohnnyKarate_

New

Post by JohnnyKarate_ » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a superior court clerk. I'm going to a non-immigration DOJ honors component. Its all what you make of it.
If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats like? I'm considering a super court clerkship. I'm a tier 2, top 10%, law review-er. Also, what were the exit options like for other clerks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:49 pm

i could not find any information on this and i didnt go to a local law school (but from the dc area). how can i apply to a dc superior court clerkship? i only see information on the website for dc court of appeals judges. thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i could not find any information on this and i didnt go to a local law school (but from the dc area). how can i apply to a dc superior court clerkship? i only see information on the website for dc court of appeals judges. thanks!
Look up the list of all associate judges on superior court. Narrow it by the subject matter of the cases they hear. Now call the number listed for each judge in an area you’re interested in and ask them whether they’re still hiring for a specific term. If so, ask what you need to send and when.

My judge gets about three calls a day from folks doing exactly that. We’re used to it and happy to help.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”