Chance me for COA judges Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
tomtom2

New

Chance me for COA judges

Post by tomtom2 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:56 pm

Stat Dump: Rising 3L at a T20, 4.01 gpa (probably top 5ish in my class), top grade awards in several clerky classes (Fed Courts, con law, etc.), Fed Soc board, flagship LR, externed for a COA judge my 1L summer, and am now summering at a V10 firm + I have a d.ct. clerkship lined up for immediately after graduation in a competitive district, but not with a "feeder" d.ct. judge (if thats even a thing--my judge doesn't seem all that "connected"). Not a URM. Worked for a year or two before law school and have some (relatively) interesting life experiences.

I also have a few professors who seem willing to go to bat for me and (i'm told) wrote me good recs.

Do I have a shot at judges 2/9/DC? (Anyone in particular?) Feeders? (I know its a total long shot from a T20, but I don't not have SCOTUS ambitions...)

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

lolwat

Silver

Re: Chance me for COA judges

Post by lolwat » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:14 pm

tomtom2 wrote:Stat Dump: Rising 3L at a T20, 4.01 gpa (probably top 5ish in my class), top grade awards in several clerky classes (Fed Courts, con law, etc.), Fed Soc board, flagship LR, externed for a COA judge my 1L summer, and am now summering at a V10 firm + I have a d.ct. clerkship lined up for immediately after graduation in a competitive district, but not with a "feeder" d.ct. judge (if thats even a thing--my judge doesn't seem all that "connected"). Not a URM. Worked for a year or two before law school and have some (relatively) interesting life experiences.

I also have a few professors who seem willing to go to bat for me and (i'm told) wrote me good recs.

Do I have a shot at judges 2/9/DC? (Anyone in particular?) Feeders? (I know its a total long shot from a T20, but I don't not have SCOTUS ambitions...)

I'd appreciate any thoughts.
I don't know about feeders or DC Circuit, but you should be fine otherwise. Although SCOTUS probably for #1 in your class only since you're just at a t20.
Doesn't mean you'll definitely get something, but you're certainly competitive.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:18 pm

tomtom2 wrote:
Is your law school in one of 2/9/DC? If so, you'll have a decent shot with COA judges in that particular circuit. As for feeders, you'll have a tough time, but that's a question you should pose to the profs who are willing to go to bat for you. You'll likely need at least one of them to have a relationship with a feeder.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:18 pm

Was the COA judge you interned for on 2/9/DC? If you built relationships with that judge's clerks, they may be able to put in good words for you with people that they know in other chambers. They may also know people from law school who are clerking in other circuits. If you feel comfortable reaching out, they could be a good resource

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:44 pm

I had slightly worse stats (summa at T25, d.ct. clerk, not a URM) and landed a relatively non-prestigious COA clerkship. I interviewed for one lower feeder (sent 2-3 clerks to SCOTUS in the past 10 years) judge on 2/9/DC, and got an interview with another lower feeder outside of 2/9/DC (in addition to a few other COA interviews, one of which I accepted). Got rejected by 2/9/DC judge and had to accept my COA judge before I could go to the interview with the second feeder.

I'd say you have a strong shot at landing a COA clerkship, and depending on connections (who helped me a ton) you can land 2/9/DC. Look up COA judges who have Fed Soc ties, as many of them prefer to hire conservative clerks (and there are fewer prospective clerks in Fed Soc than ACS). Your clerkship office should be falling over themselves to help you out, and can probably make some calls.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”