Second Interview... What happens? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Second Interview... What happens?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:22 pm

So... errr... what happens during a second interview with a judge you have interviewed with only a couple of days ago? I was contacted one day after my first interview for a second one and was told to bring another writing sample as a hard copy and not to email a word file or .pdf.

In my experience interviewing before, for various internships (firms, public sector, and one law school judge clerkship), I typically had one interview and either received a job offer or a ding email within a week or so. I was just wondering what the second interview will entail and if I should expect a third or beyond. I am a bit nervous. Some people have told me that it is a good thing to have a second interview and to expect a job offer, but I wanted to come to a place to ask those who have been through the clerking interview process before.

Thanks.

nothingtosee

Silver

Re: Second Interview... What happens?

Post by nothingtosee » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:24 pm

Eat Beth is to find former clerks (preferably alums from your school) and ask them. This process sounds a bit idiosyncratic and former clerks will help you more than vague guesses by internet strangers.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:01 pm

Anecdata: I had a second clerkship interview and stressed for days about what we could possibly cover in it because I thought the first one had been pretty thorough. The interview lasted fifteen minutes, he asked me one or two questions (kind of overarching, big picture ones) and told me it was down to two people, and I got an offer a few days later. They really can be very straightforward. (Asking you to bring a second writing sample muddies the waters a bit. Make sure you know it backwards and forwards just in case.)

That said, nothingtosee is right - if the judge has done this in past cycles, Eat Beth best bet is to talk to former clerks if you can.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:05 am

OP here. Thanks for that. I suspect he is narrowing it down and wants a better look at my writing if he has it narrowed down to only a couple or a few. I'm not sure why I am so nervous. I am halfway expecting him to tear my writing sample apart in front of me.

I have contacted former clerks as of an hour ago and will see what their responses tell me. The longest one has stayed has been 4 years, so that raises an eyebrow.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”