5 References? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

5 References?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:08 am

Looking at an OSCAR posting that wants multiple recommenders AND references. I don't know if I can come up with this many without really scraping the bottom of the barrel...someone advised me to just submit my recommenders as references. Tantamount to tanking app?

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Re: 5 References?

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:13 am

I would just list your recommenders as references. I did this and still got interviews.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:35 am

I'd probably do that if the other option is to submit "bottom of the barrel" refs/recs. A judge with that preference may or may not care that you've doubled up, but the quality of your refs/recs is almost always really important.

WinterComing

Silver

Post by WinterComing » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:27 pm

I think it's pretty normal to include your recommenders among your references, especially if you're listing five references. Otherwise you'd need eight total people backing you, and that seems pretty unreasonable.

Definitely anecdata, but I listed my recommenders as references and it did not seem to affect me negatively.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:46 pm

WinterComing wrote:I think it's pretty normal to include your recommenders among your references
It is normal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”