Seeking application advice Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Seeking application advice

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:07 am

Hi all, I am a recent graduate seeking advice on the relationship aspects of clerkship application. Specifically, whether a judge would take slight if I were to apply to other judges on his court.

Originally, I have a clerkship lined up for 2017-18 before another clerkship for 2018-19 in dc. However, things changed and I will no longer be clerking for the judge in the 17-18 cycle. Instead of clerking for his successor, I chose to join a firm first before starting my second clerkship. I still very much want to clerk for the judge from the unfulfilled 2017-18 clerkship. The judge told me that even though he could not guarantee anything, I should wait for him to get things under order. I respect the judge immensely, we come from the same area and have strong rapport. It would be a dream-come-true if I were to get an offer. However, given that there are no guarantees, I am debating whether to apply to other judges on his current court as well. The clerkship office advises all students applying to that court to apply to all the judges, but that is a very small number of people in close, frequent contact. I am worried that my judge will be take slight if he found out that I have applied to the other judges and that that will lower my chance of getting a clerkship with him.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Re: Seeking application advice

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:06 am

Why not talk to the judge about it and whether he'd be ok with it?

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all, I am a recent graduate seeking advice on the relationship aspects of clerkship application. Specifically, whether a judge would take slight if I were to apply to other judges on his court.

Originally, I have a clerkship lined up for 2017-18 before another clerkship for 2018-19 in dc. However, things changed and I will no longer be clerking for the judge in the 17-18 cycle. Instead of clerking for his successor, I chose to join a firm first before starting my second clerkship. I still very much want to clerk for the judge from the unfulfilled 2017-18 clerkship. The judge told me that even though he could not guarantee anything, I should wait for him to get things under order. I respect the judge immensely, we come from the same area and have strong rapport. It would be a dream-come-true if I were to get an offer. However, given that there are no guarantees, I am debating whether to apply to other judges on his current court as well. The clerkship office advises all students applying to that court to apply to all the judges, but that is a very small number of people in close, frequent contact. I am worried that my judge will be take slight if he found out that I have applied to the other judges and that that will lower my chance of getting a clerkship with him.
This whole story sounds very strange. You had two clerkships lined up and now you have none? Based on what you've said the Judge told you, I'd wait. If you respect this Judge and want to work for him specifically, it sounds like he is trying to make things work for you. Sit tight and be patient.

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:59 am

clerk1251 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi all, I am a recent graduate seeking advice on the relationship aspects of clerkship application. Specifically, whether a judge would take slight if I were to apply to other judges on his court.

This whole story sounds very strange. You had two clerkships lined up and now you have none? Based on what you've said the Judge told you, I'd wait. If you respect this Judge and want to work for him specifically, it sounds like he is trying to make things work for you. Sit tight and be patient.
Pretty sure you misread the post. I read that OP:
  1. 1. Lined up a job with Judge A for 2017-18 in City X
  • 2. Lined up a job with Judge B for 2018-19 in DC
  • 3. Judge A presumably retired or had a change in circumstances necessitating a retraction in the offer for 2017-18
  • 4. Accordingly, OP will be spending 2017-18 in a firm
  • 5. OP would still like to clerk with Judge A but has no guarantee and so wants to apply to other City X judges
  • 6. OP is worried these applications would get back to Judge A and make him angry
  • 7. Will still clerk for Judge B in 2018-19
To OP: in my opinion, you have nothing to worry about. I have never seen judges discuss candidates with one another, particularly at just the application stage (each judge receives HUNDREDS of apps). If you are really concerned, shoot the judge or his clerk and email and explain what is going on. I have no doubt the judge will be understanding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:11 pm

FWIW, it seems like OP had a clerkship lined up with Gorsuch. :?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FWIW, it seems like OP had a clerkship lined up with Gorsuch. :?
Good call.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:21 pm

Since it is pretty clear you are talking about Gorsuch and applying to SCOTUS: you should apply to all the justices. As you know, Gorsuch has given no guarantees to his 16-17 and future clerks that they can clerk with him SCOTUS (though they are welcome to apply), so it is highly unlikely that he would take any offense to you applying to the whole Court. Applying to all the justices is the advice usually given to HLS students anyway, though students from some other top schools don't always do this.

This is all assuming that your 18-19 clerkship is a D.C. Circuit clerkship. If not, you should get another COA clerkship first. (I imagine this would be easy given that already nabbed Gorsuch).

Happy to delete this if you are concerned about outing or if I'm totally off-base.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FWIW, it seems like OP had a clerkship lined up with Gorsuch. :?
What about Thapar?

Edit: Thapar seems more plausible to me in that Gorsuch>D.C. Cir. makes less sense than Thapar>D.C. Cir, insofar as Gorsuch was already a feeder and fed clerks directly to SCOTUS.

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Since it is pretty clear you are talking about Gorsuch and applying to SCOTUS: you should apply to all the justices. As you know, Gorsuch has given no guarantees to his 16-17 and future clerks that they can clerk with him SCOTUS (though they are welcome to apply), so it is highly unlikely that he would take any offense to you applying to the whole Court. Applying to all the justices is the advice usually given to HLS students anyway, though students from some other top schools don't always do this.

This is all assuming that your 18-19 clerkship is a D.C. Circuit clerkship. If not, you should get another COA clerkship first. (I imagine this would be easy given that already nabbed Gorsuch).

Happy to delete this if you are concerned about outing or if I'm totally off-base.
Lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:01 pm

BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
What about Thapar?

Edit: Thapar seems more plausible to me in that Gorsuch>D.C. Cir. makes less sense than Thapar>D.C. Cir, insofar as Gorsuch was already a feeder and fed clerks directly to SCOTUS.
People who had already locked down Gorsuch are actually now going to Thapar and then Gorsuch. From the one Gorsuch clerk I know, this is what Gorsuch set up for him.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:59 pm

My impression was that OP had a Thapar clerkship lined up at EDKY and then a DC Circuit clerkship, and is now considering applying to the entire 6th Circuit for 2019-20 or later and not just Thapar. If that's the case, I would certainly apply at least to Sutton, Kethledge, and (once she's confirmed) Larsen in addition to Thapar. If you aren't as concerned with SCOTUS and are planning on practicing in one of the CA6 states, applying to the rest of the court makes sense too. I doubt you would burn any bridges with Thapar that way--he certainly knows that there are no sure things in the world of clerkships.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:18 pm

clerk1251 wrote:
BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
What about Thapar?

People who had already locked down Gorsuch are actually now going to Thapar and then Gorsuch. From the one Gorsuch clerk I know, this is what Gorsuch set up for him.
Anon OP here! Thanks to all the great advice. The professor who was my main reference with the first judge advised waiting as well since there is no point to rush things given that one could always clerk later down the road.

To the poster above, can you elaborate on the situation? Someone originally clerking for Judge Gorsuch and then Judge Kavanaugh at my school was not reassigned to Judge Thapar and they certainly didn't receive a guarantee from Judge Gorsuch on SCOTUS clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:37 pm

OP:

I'd delete the initial post. Based on the initial post and the follow up posts, you've identified yourself; and this is a dumb question. Gorsuch will not be offended if you apply to other Justices. Trust your school's advisors. They'll know more about this process than most people on this forum.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:30 pm

what a dumb thread by a smart person

Barrred

Bronze

Post by Barrred » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:47 pm

Not a dumb question, OP is just not versed in TLS collective-wisdom. It is reasonable to want to get a second opinion about something impacting your career goals. That said, OP, SCOTUS is a totally different beast than COA/D.Ct. clerkships, and TLS is not very well suited to answer SCOUTS-specific questions because so few people have first hand experience with that process. This is a question that you should be discussing with the clerkship committee at your school, your recommenders, as well as any professors you know who clerked for SCOTUS.

Good luck.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”