Cover letter for post-clerkship hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Cover letter for post-clerkship hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 28, 2017 6:21 pm

I know that this has been debated time and time again for clerkship applications, but I was wondering what the general consensus is in terms of substance for post-clerkship cover letters. Would you recommend something very short and sweet (i.e. "I am writing for x job following x clerkship. Please find attached my application materials. Thank you for your consideration.") or something more substantial (i.e. why you want the job, want to work in that city/state, or what sets you apart)?

Jchance

Silver

Re: Cover letter for post-clerkship hiring

Post by Jchance » Sun May 28, 2017 9:00 pm

The latter. Why is this even a question?

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:07 pm

My opinion would be the former. Clearly there is debate though, so I'd say to do whatever you are most comfortable with.

The latter might give you a more competitive advantage, seeing as you are taking the time to custom tailor your cover letter more. I'm all about it being short, sweet, and to the point though. To each their own.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Tue May 30, 2017 12:40 pm

I would say it depends. If you're talking about some biglaw NYC firm, short and sweet is probably better. If you're trying to get to somewhere you have no ties (let's say, you've been on the east coast all your life and you're trying to get to CA) or some secondary market, tailoring your cover letter would be better than not. If you're applying to smaller firms where you know your application materials are being seen by a hiring/managing partner in the first instance and not some random HR person, then it makes even more sense to tailor your cover letter.

I don't see it as substantively different than applying for clerkships.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue May 30, 2017 2:23 pm

Jchance wrote:The latter. Why is this even a question?
Because long cover letters often come off as awkward and desperate. They're difficult to do well. Short and sweet is safer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”