Etiquette on putting future clerkships in LinkedIn Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Dipper

Bronze

Etiquette on putting future clerkships in LinkedIn

Post by Dipper » Sun May 28, 2017 1:51 pm

What's the etiquette on putting future clerkships on LinkedIn? I've seen it done in the biography section or tagline on people's profiles. Is the general consensus that this is excessive self-promotion or reasonable LinkedIn activity?

runinthefront

Gold

Re: Etiquette on putting future clerkships in LinkedIn

Post by runinthefront » Sun May 28, 2017 2:02 pm

I see no reason to put future clerkships/summer associate positions/law firm positions on LinkedIn. I think it's self-promotion, but I understand if other opinions differ from my own.

That being said, you should put them on your resume if/when you're applying for something else.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 28, 2017 2:43 pm

Similar question: should you put it on your work website bio page?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun May 28, 2017 2:46 pm

I'd say:

Resume: Yes.
Firm Bio: No.
Linkedin: Not sure, but lean no.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:01 pm

I agree with the emerging consensus. A resume gives you a lot of control over who knows about the clerkship, and you're listing it for the specific purpose of applying for another job, so I understand it more than having the clerkship listed on LinkedIn or a firm bio. (Note also that some courts have policies about what you're allowed to say about a clerkship on social networking sites like LinkedIn - usually not a lot if they've bothered to draft a policy. I think it's rare that someone actually gets into trouble for violating one of these policies, but why take the risk, at least until after the clerkship?)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jphiggo

Bronze

Post by jphiggo » Sun May 28, 2017 3:33 pm

I agree with the above that including it on a resume for prospective employers is okay, because those employers should be made aware of both your potential unavailability for a period of time, and your additional experience that you will also acquire. However, the clerkship hasn't happened. In addition to the possibility that something you post might run afoul of a policy you don't know of yet and reflect poorly on your judge or his/her opinion of you, there are potentially unforeseeable reasons why the clerkship won't ever happen. Until you start the clerkship I think you should leave it off any public bio, social media account, etc.

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:53 am

I agree with everything said, and I'd also add that even when you start your clerkship - you should not list who your clerkship is with on LinkedIn. Instead you should just list that you are a law clerk at the United States District Court/United States Court of Appeals.

CurvedSurface

New

Post by CurvedSurface » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:45 pm

clerk1251 wrote:I agree with everything said, and I'd also add that even when you start your clerkship - you should not list who your clerkship is with on LinkedIn. Instead you should just list that you are a law clerk at the United States District Court/United States Court of Appeals.
Why?

Barrred

Bronze

Post by Barrred » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:39 pm

CurvedSurface wrote:
clerk1251 wrote:I agree with everything said, and I'd also add that even when you start your clerkship - you should not list who your clerkship is with on LinkedIn. Instead you should just list that you are a law clerk at the United States District Court/United States Court of Appeals.
Why?
Its common practice not to list the judge you work for on LinkedIn until after your clerkship ends because (a) you don't want civil parties trying to research you/potentially approach you about cases that you might be working on/find out where you like to go to lunch with other clerks and follow you there in hopes you talk about their case, and (b) you definitely don't want criminal defendants knowing who might be working on their case (even if you don't work on criminal stuff for your judge, the defendant doesn't know that).

Both of those scenarios are probably very unlikely to occur, but I was told a story about a criminal defendant who went after a law clerk because he realized it was easier to find out where a clerk lives than the judge. Apparently the defendant approached the clerk on her way to work one day and tried to intimidate her.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:39 pm

Barrred wrote:
CurvedSurface wrote:
Why?
[. . .] you definitely don't want criminal defendants knowing who might be working on their case (even if you don't work on criminal stuff for your judge, the defendant doesn't know that).

Both of those scenarios are probably very unlikely to occur, but I was told a story about a criminal defendant who went after a law clerk because he realized it was easier to find out where a clerk lives than the judge. Apparently the defendant approached the clerk on her way to work one day and tried to intimidate her.
Never thought about this before. Does this mean that that a SSC clerk shouldn't even list the court on his/her LinkedIn profile? What if the court doesn't always sit en banc, so a criminal defendant couldn't infer that every judge will be presiding over his/her case?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:19 am

Barrred wrote:
CurvedSurface wrote:
Why?
Its common practice not to list the judge you work for on LinkedIn until after your clerkship ends because (a) you don't want civil parties trying to research you/potentially approach you about cases that you might be working on/find out where you like to go to lunch with other clerks and follow you there in hopes you talk about their case, and (b) you definitely don't want criminal defendants knowing who might be working on their case (even if you don't work on criminal stuff for your judge, the defendant doesn't know that).

I agree with all of this. I'd also say it's good to maintain a distance, for the sake of the court system's appearance of integrity, between one's personal online presence and one's job. Speaking as someone who's written on a lot of topics for a lot of outlets, it makes sense for me to keep mum about the judge/court I work for, just to maintain the appropriate norm of propriety.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Barrred wrote:
CurvedSurface wrote:
Why?
[. . .] you definitely don't want criminal defendants knowing who might be working on their case (even if you don't work on criminal stuff for your judge, the defendant doesn't know that).

Never thought about this before. Does this mean that that a SSC clerk shouldn't even list the court on his/her LinkedIn profile? What if the court doesn't always sit en banc, so a criminal defendant couldn't infer that every judge will be presiding over his/her case?
There's no way to be completely safe from crazy litigants. They think the guy who blew up John Vance did it because Judge Vance was on the court (but not the panel) who refused to expunge the bomber's conviction.

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:24 am

mjb447 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Barrred wrote:
CurvedSurface wrote:
Why?

There's no way to be completely safe from crazy litigants. They think the guy who blew up John Vance did it because Judge Vance was on the court (but not the panel) who refused to expunge the bomber's conviction.
Everything that's been said here is exactly right. There really is no edge you get by listing this information on social media or linkedin. Sure, someone might see it and get jealous or think it's cool. But any firm you are interested in would see it on your resume. Any professional contact, co-worker, or even just a friend would be able to see this information on your firm's bio when you go to a firm after.

It's best to distance yourself for appearances sake, as well as your safety. LinkedIn has employer options that simply read "US District Court" or "US Court of Appeals." You can just select one of these and you even get a nice court logo - to keep it looking official. There's no reason you have to go into any further detail than that.

On top of all this - I believe the law clerk handbook has a number of social media restrictions on what you are allowed to post and even what you are allowed to "like."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:29 am

clerk1251 wrote: Everything that's been said here is exactly right. There really is no edge you get by listing this information on social media or linkedin. Sure, someone might see it and get jealous or think it's cool. But any firm you are interested in would see it on your resume. Any professional contact, co-worker, or even just a friend would be able to see this information on your firm's bio when you go to a firm after.

It's best to distance yourself for appearances sake, as well as your safety. LinkedIn has employer options that simply read "US District Court" or "US Court of Appeals." You can just select one of these and you even get a nice court logo - to keep it looking official. There's no reason you have to go into any further detail than that.

On top of all this - I believe the law clerk handbook has a number of social media restrictions on what you are allowed to post and even what you are allowed to "like."
https://oscar.uscourts.gov/assets/Maint ... s_2011.pdf at 15 to 17

Barrred

Bronze

Post by Barrred » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:44 am

clerk1251 wrote: It's best to distance yourself for appearances sake, as well as your safety. LinkedIn has employer options that simply read "US District Court" or "US Court of Appeals." You can just select one of these and you even get a nice court logo - to keep it looking official. There's no reason you have to go into any further detail than that.
Agreed. But I don't see a problem listing "U.S. District Court for the X District of X," or "U.S. Court of Appeals for the Xth Circuit," as your listed location will give this away anyway (unless you clerk in the D.C. area, I guess).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”