green card at the time off application? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
sanzgo

New

green card at the time off application?

Post by sanzgo » Mon May 22, 2017 5:02 am

So I'm currently waiting in line for my green card which should become available within the next 3 years.

Just wondering but what happens when you get your green card in the middle of a clerkship?

I know that technically, you can be a federal judicial clerk within the continental US even without a greencard or citizenship. You just can't get paid. (Btw, can you still list your title as "judicial clerk" if you aren't getting paid?)

So assuming I get my greencard around 2020, I was thinking of applying for clerkships this coming fall and possibly asking the judge if he/she could push back the start date to 2020 or 2021 (btw, is this even possible?). Then if all goes well and I have my GC before clerkship start date, then no problems there.

But if I don't get my GC until after the clerkship starts, what happens logistically? Can they shift me onto the payroll mid-clerkship? Seems like a logistical nightmare...

I know I could just wait until after graduation to apply but I'd like to apply when I'm still in school and have institutional backing.

heythatslife

Silver

Re: green card at the time off application?

Post by heythatslife » Mon May 22, 2017 8:15 am

Well you actually need to be a full-fledged citizen to be a paid federal employee in "competitive service" (i.e. for which there is a formalized hiring process and there are competent US-citizen applicants) so getting a green card isn't going to do much for you in this instance.

sanzgo

New

Post by sanzgo » Mon May 22, 2017 8:20 am

heythatslife wrote:Well you actually need to be a full-fledged citizen to be a paid federal employee in "competitive service" (i.e. for which there is a formalized hiring process and there are competent US-citizen applicants) so getting a green card isn't going to do much for you in this instance.
doesn't apply to judicial clerks.

http://www.uscourts.gov/careers/search- ... -judiciary

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Mon May 22, 2017 8:23 am

sanzgo wrote:
heythatslife wrote:Well you actually need to be a full-fledged citizen to be a paid federal employee in "competitive service" (i.e. for which there is a formalized hiring process and there are competent US-citizen applicants) so getting a green card isn't going to do much for you in this instance.

Did you miss this part, then? (assuming you're not a refugee/asylee)

"To comply with requirement No. 4 above, an individual must be a lawful permanent resident (have a green card) and apply for citizenship within a short time of first becoming eligible to do so. An individual is not eligible to apply for citizenship until he or she has been a permanent resident for at least five years (three years if seeking naturalization as a spouse of a citizen)."
Last edited by heythatslife on Mon May 22, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon May 22, 2017 8:26 am

heythatslife wrote:
sanzgo wrote:

Did you miss this part, then? (assuming you're not a refugee/asylee)

"To comply with requirement No. 4 above, an individual must be a lawful permanent resident (have a green card) and apply for citizenship within a short time of first becoming eligible to do so. An individual is not eligible to apply for citizenship until he or she has been a permanent resident for at least five years"
did you miss this part?
NOTE: A lawful permanent resident who is not yet eligible to apply for citizenship at the start of judicial employment may lawfully be employed by the judiciary, provided that he or she submits an affidavit indicating the intent to apply for citizenship when eligible to do so.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Mon May 22, 2017 8:28 am

lol my bad too early in the morning for me

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:03 am

In general, I think you're not supposed to use any variation on the term "law clerk" if you're not getting paid. That said, unpaid positions are also supposed to focus on "providing an educational experience for the volunteer." If you're performing the same work as a law clerk that may be a guideline worth breaking.

http://www.uscourts.gov/sites/default/f ... 4-09_0.pdf starting at 22.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon May 22, 2017 10:13 am

How do you clerk without a visa? I'm confused here as to how you will be in the country legally after you graduate.

Also: don't make plans like clerking depending on your green card being processed in a timely manner. Just my opinion.

sanzgo

New

Post by sanzgo » Mon May 22, 2017 11:28 am

mjb447 wrote:In general, I think you're not supposed to use any variation on the term "law clerk" if you're not getting paid. That said, unpaid positions are also supposed to focus on "providing an educational experience for the volunteer." If you're performing the same work as a law clerk that may be a guideline worth breaking.

http://www.uscourts.gov/sites/default/f ... 4-09_0.pdf starting at 22.
huh; never seen that before. thanks for the tip.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Mon May 22, 2017 11:32 am

Npret wrote:How do you clerk without a visa? I'm confused here as to how you will be in the country legally after you graduate.

Also: don't make plans like clerking depending on your green card being processed in a timely manner. Just my opinion.
You can use OPT time for a year. Why question the OP about such an obvious (and resolvable) issue?
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sanzgo

New

Post by sanzgo » Mon May 22, 2017 11:33 am

Npret wrote:How do you clerk without a visa? I'm confused here as to how you will be in the country legally after you graduate.

there're a couple options.

most likely, my priority date will become current before graduation so i can just file i-485 and legally stay/work here. (will still take a year-ish from this point to receive GC)

if priority date doesn't become current before graduation but it's pretty close, i can rely on opt in the beginning then file i-485 during clerkship.

it is a pretty messy situation though. really wanna clerk though : (

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:29 pm

OP, how did you bring up the topic of your immigration status and desire for a non-paid clerkship with the judge? Did it give you any advantage/disadvantage over other applications because you are not being paid?

thr

New

Post by thr » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:08 pm

Would having the EAD/AP give me eligibility to clerk? It's like a mini green card that they give to people born in countries with a long wait. With it, you have gc privileges like employment and re-entry to the country. Getting it via husband's employer, actual green card may be an additional two year wait. Also very curious which step in the application do they check for eligibility.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:32 pm

God, people on this forum are such assholes when it comes to immigration / visa issues - as is the rest of the US I guess.
thr wrote:Would having the EAD/AP give me eligibility to clerk? It's like a mini green card that they give to people born in countries with a long wait. With it, you have gc privileges like employment and re-entry to the country. Getting it via husband's employer, actual green card may be an additional two year wait. Also very curious which step in the application do they check for eligibility.
My understanding is that you won't be able to get paid for a clerkship if you start while on EAD/AP. You have to be an LPR on the day your clerkship starts. Keep in mind that 1) judges are on the whole pretty reluctant about volunteer clerkships, and 2) at least from my experience, judges are also fairly reluctant about trusting you, the applicant, when you say that you will be regularized on X date. Getting a clerkship with an uncertain immigration status sucks :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”