Application Went to Wrong Chambers? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
GoneSouth

Bronze

Application Went to Wrong Chambers?

Post by GoneSouth » Sat May 20, 2017 10:40 am

I sent paper applications to two judges in the same courthouse. I got an email from a third judge in that courthouse (who I did not apply to), saying that he had received my application but was not currently hiring. So it seems pretty clear that one of my applications got sent to the wrong place, and that whoever received it in the third judge's chambers didn't realize it.

What's the most tactful way to figure out which of the two judges that I wanted to apply to did not receive my application? Contacting the third judge's chambers and saying "Ummm, yeah, I actually didn't want to apply to you so can you tell me which judge's name was on the application you have" doesn't seem like a great option. But I also don't want to annoy the other two chambers by calling and asking if they received my application.

Thoughts?

mjb447

Silver

Re: Application Went to Wrong Chambers?

Post by mjb447 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:00 am

Any reason you can't just send a new app to both? The chambers that gets two probably won't hold it against you (may not even notice).

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Sat May 20, 2017 11:23 am

mjb447 wrote:Any reason you can't just send a new app to both? The chambers that gets two probably won't hold it against you (may not even notice).
That's actually not a bad idea. I'm going to update with spring grades soon anyway. Maybe I'll just resend full packets rather than just a transcript.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:30 am

GoneSouth wrote:
mjb447 wrote:Any reason you can't just send a new app to both? The chambers that gets two probably won't hold it against you (may not even notice).
That's actually not a bad idea. I'm going to update with spring grades soon anyway. Maybe I'll just resend full packets rather than just a transcript.
I almost suggested trying to find an excuse to call it an "updated application" (chambers will almost certainly just take your word for it) - even better if there's actually a good reason to update.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 23, 2017 1:20 pm

There is always the possibility that Judge 1 passed along your application to Judge 3, perhaps thinking for some reason you were a better fit for Judge 3. I have seen this happen in my courthouse.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu May 25, 2017 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:There is always the possibility that Judge 1 passed along your application to Judge 3, perhaps thinking for some reason you were a better fit for Judge 3. I have seen this happen in my courthouse.
I had a similar thought. OP: You might just want to call the chambers of Judge 3 and ask.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2017 3:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:There is always the possibility that Judge 1 passed along your application to Judge 3, perhaps thinking for some reason you were a better fit for Judge 3. I have seen this happen in my courthouse.
Clerk here. This is my guess. Judges/clerks often pass along applications to one another in our court.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”