... Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
OutCold

Bronze

Re: Mixed Emotions on Clerking/Future

Post by OutCold » Tue May 16, 2017 11:48 pm

I actually did precisely what you are slated to do. I clerked in the district court straight out of law school, then did a year at NYC biglaw, and am now a COA clerk. As everyone has already said, you are dramatically overestimating how exciting a year at the firm will be. Junior associate work is mostly terrible, especially having come from a clerkship. You will go from drafting opinions at your clerkship to doc review at the low end and perhaps taking a first pass at a section of a brief on the high end. It can actually be pretty discouraging taking a major hit in responsibility. Chances are you won't even want to go back to the same firm you were at pre-COA, but even if you do, you will have skipped over the most miserable years at the firm. Hell, I lined my clerkship up while I was at the firm because I was stuck on a case that had me billing 250+ for about four months and it was killing me. I get the money concern though--that was a big decision for me in deciding to clerk a second time. If you do it right, you'll collect a second clerkship bonus.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 23, 2017 3:20 pm

OutCold wrote: If you do it right, you'll collect a second clerkship bonus.
Can you expound on this? How likely is it that one can get a second full clerkship bonus by simply going to a different firm after the second clerkship?

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Tue May 30, 2017 10:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
OutCold wrote: If you do it right, you'll collect a second clerkship bonus.
Can you expound on this? How likely is it that one can get a second full clerkship bonus by simply going to a different firm after the second clerkship?
All of the offers I received included the clerkship bonus without any negotiating on my part, but I know that there are some firms that are less willing. My previous firm was reluctant to pay a second bonus if I returned, but was willing to consider it. I was changing markets so I didn't pursue the issue. For what it is worth, another friend with the same clerkship sequence is returning and successfully negotiated a second bonus. It's an opaque process so I can't say for sure what your chances are, but it definitely happens. I received another single year bonus, not a two year bonus.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”