Clerkship AFTER BigFed Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
JMCSpartan08

New

Clerkship AFTER BigFed

Post by JMCSpartan08 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:19 pm

I'll be starting with one of the non-DOJ Honors Programs this Summer/Fall. Before I accepted this offer I was focused mainly on trying to find a clerkship, although I was late for 2017 so I was looking mostly at 2018. I've since withdrawn those applications. But, I still have interest in clerking, what do federal clerkship prospects (probably D.Ct) look like for people coming from a stint in the federal gov't? Better or worse than right out of law school? BigLaw? Other Clerkships?

Sorry if this has been discussed in another thread I didn't see anything on the first couple pages.

blahblewblah

New

Re: Clerkship AFTER BigFed

Post by blahblewblah » Tue May 09, 2017 1:02 pm

Going to be extremely dependent on the judge and your agency/experience, but I would assume it would be viewed generally favorably. Impossible to provide any more specific feedback given the details provided.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 1:05 pm

It will depend on the judge, but mine would view it favorably, probably moreso than a stint in biglaw. If your program has a set end-date, I would update the resume to include your expected honors program dates and start applying now for a clerkship for the term immediately following your honors program. (2019 d.ct. hiring is just starting in my district, and some judges are still hiring for 2018)

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue May 09, 2017 1:17 pm

Is your honors program actually a term position? Many are intended to be pipelines into federal service so it looks a little weird to leave to clerk (imho), but I guess it would depend on the program. Many judges like experience so it would set you apart on that basis, especially if your agency had cases in that court.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Thu May 11, 2017 6:00 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Is your honors program actually a term position? Many are intended to be pipelines into federal service so it looks a little weird to leave to clerk (imho), but I guess it would depend on the program. Many judges like experience so it would set you apart on that basis, especially if your agency had cases in that court.

Agree that it'd probably be viewed favorably, and clerking is a pretty great gig, but I'm still not sure why someone would do this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”