Srinivasan Clerkship? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
candidlatke

Bronze

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Post by candidlatke » Tue May 09, 2017 9:34 pm

WinterComing wrote:OP has disappeared, but appears to go to Texas, FWIW. No idea how their clerkship advising compares to GULC or the other schools being discussed in this thread.
Still here. Wasn't really asking for the purposes of personal clerking interests, given the credentials of his past clerks, but more out of curiosity on the matter. He seems like a pretty interesting guy so I was just seeing if anyone had any personal experience with him/could speak to how he is as a person.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 9:39 pm

rpupkin wrote:
cheaptilts wrote: Today I realized that there are anywhere from 30-40 people in the top 5% at Georgetown in any given year. That's a lot of students
Yeah. I wonder how much of this is due to "the GULC administration won't help its students gets clerkships" versus "GULC has too many students so its placement percentages are going to be relatively low no matter what."

Also, for what its worth, I just checked with a GULC grad who was #2 in his class several years ago and he said that--at least back then--the school definitely worked to get its very top students into competitive clerkships. I bet that still happens.
Again, not gonna give specifics here, but I can tell you 100% that it did not happen my year. And it wasn't that long ago. I guess it depends what you consider "the school definitely worked:" are professors open to helping and making calls? Sure. Is the school going to help you prepare your stuff and whatnot if you're proactive? Sure. But is the school going to contact the top students to tell them to apply? In my experience, no.

It's funny that you guys shit on Georgetown for stuff that's pretty arguable, like our employment numbers being crap when many of our students self-select into PI, but then you won't believe that the school can be actually crap in some ways. There is a reason we have abysmal clerkship placement, and the fault lies mainly with career services. It just isn't a priority for them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
cheaptilts wrote: Today I realized that there are anywhere from 30-40 people in the top 5% at Georgetown in any given year. That's a lot of students
Yeah. I wonder how much of this is due to "the GULC administration won't help its students gets clerkships" versus "GULC has too many students so its placement percentages are going to be relatively low no matter what."

Also, for what its worth, I just checked with a GULC grad who was #2 in his class several years ago and he said that--at least back then--the school definitely worked to get its very top students into competitive clerkships. I bet that still happens.
Again, not gonna give specifics here, but I can tell you 100% that it did not happen my year. And it wasn't that long ago. I guess it depends what you consider "the school definitely worked:" are professors open to helping and making calls? Sure. Is the school going to help you prepare your stuff and whatnot if you're proactive? Sure. But is the school going to contact the top students to tell them to apply? In my experience, no.

It's funny that you guys shit on Georgetown for stuff that's pretty arguable, like our employment numbers being crap when many of our students self-select into PI, but then you won't believe that the school can be actually crap in some ways. There is a reason we have abysmal clerkship placement, and the fault lies mainly with career services. It just isn't a priority for them.
I can see them doing this for the top 5-10 students (not 5-10% of students) but yes, basically everyone else is on their own. I think they only have one part-time person doing clerkship stuff in the OCS for the entire school.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue May 09, 2017 9:48 pm

This thread encapsulates many things that are awful about this profession.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue May 09, 2017 10:05 pm

los blancos wrote:This thread encapsulates many things that are awful about this profession.
What are some of those things?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue May 09, 2017 10:05 pm

los blancos wrote:This thread encapsulates many things that are awful about this profession.
And law centers.

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Tue May 09, 2017 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
polareagle wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
Mullens wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:I'm just curious - when someone is one of the top 5-10 students after 1L, and they talk to their professors, isn't there some conversation like:

"So how'd finals go?"
Oh, much better than I could have asked for!
"How'd you do in your other classes?"

The Professor hears you're almost all A+'s or whatever, then they tell you "You can clerk for almost any judge you want."

Does that not happen?
Probably varies by school but I know at my T14 that professors have access to our grades and so does the clerkship advisor. If you're among that group of students (I was) then the clerkship office will reach out shortly after second semester grades (or before if you were at the very top after first semester) and will tell you to start reaching out to professors for letters of recommendation so you can apply for feeders before OCI and can get all your app materials set asap. When you reach out to professors for letters of rec, they will offer to call on your behalf if they like you.
WTF aren't academic records private? They'd know the names of everyone within the top X%, but they can't possibly have access to your actual file.
What? No. Not from the school itself.
FERPA doesn't prevent schools from disclosing information internally for "legitimate educational interests."
(34 CFR 99.31)
You're both wrong--or at least you would be at my T14. The only people with access to your academic file/grades would be career services, the clerkship advisor, Dean of Students, and the Dean. No random professor would have access; you have to sign a consent form for a prof to even have access to your file for letter-of-rec purposes

I'd be shocked if any school construed that reg to allow all professors to have access to your file
That's how your school construed it. Maybe there was a state law or maybe they were being cautious. I know at my undergrad, professors (and even random administrators) could pull up literally any student's transcript on demand. Granted, the IT there was ancient.

WinterComing

Silver

Post by WinterComing » Tue May 09, 2017 10:55 pm

candidlatke wrote:
WinterComing wrote:OP has disappeared, but appears to go to Texas, FWIW. No idea how their clerkship advising compares to GULC or the other schools being discussed in this thread.
Still here. Wasn't really asking for the purposes of personal clerking interests, given the credentials of his past clerks, but more out of curiosity on the matter. He seems like a pretty interesting guy so I was just seeing if anyone had any personal experience with him/could speak to how he is as a person.
Well, maybe after we finish arguing about GULC for no reason, someone can fill you in on that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2017 3:41 am

candidlatke wrote:Anyone have knowledge/experience with how he is as a boss and the credentials of his past clerks?
Requisite credentials: Top 1–2% grades at HYS after 1L and strong professor recommendations. On occasion he dips out of HYS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed May 10, 2017 4:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
candidlatke wrote:Anyone have knowledge/experience with how he is as a boss and the credentials of his past clerks?
Requisite credentials: Top 1–2% grades at HYS after 1L and strong professor recommendations. On occasion he dips out of HYS.
There's no such thing as top 1-2% grades at YLS after 1L.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2017 4:53 am

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
There's no such thing as top 1-2% grades at YLS after 1L.
It's flatly wrong to suggest that judges can't distinguish among the top tenth or so of the YLS 1L class. Professors informally keep track of which students write top-scoring exams — even during 1L fall — and professors can and do relay that information to inquiring feeder judges like Srinivasan. (If you doubt this, ask top performing students at YLS.) So yes, there is such thing as top 1–2% grades at YLS after 1L.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed May 10, 2017 4:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:It's flatly wrong to suggest that judges can't distinguish among the top tenth or so of the YLS 1L class. Professors informally keep track of which students write top-scoring exams — even during 1L fall — and professors can and do relay that information to inquiring feeder judges like Srinivasan. (If you doubt this, ask top performing students at YLS.) So yes, there is such thing as top 1–2% grades at YLS after 1L.
(math wizard)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2017 5:01 am

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's flatly wrong to suggest that judges can't distinguish among the top tenth or so of the YLS 1L class. Professors informally keep track of which students write top-scoring exams — even during 1L fall — and professors can and do relay that information to inquiring feeder judges like Srinivasan. (If you doubt this, ask top performing students at YLS.) So yes, there is such thing as top 1–2% grades at YLS after 1L.
(math wizard)
(Your reading comprehension = Low Pass)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed May 10, 2017 5:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
(math wizard)
Your writing skills = V50 SA.

Also, you're full of shit about the top 1-2% thing. Yes, professors play a huge role in recommending YLS students to feeder judges. And, yes, a YLS professor may comment on the relative quality of a YLS student's final exam in a LOR or on a phone call. But the notion that the school informally makes available—or that the judges can figure out—who has "top 1–2% grades" after YLS 1L is ridiculous. That's not how it works.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2017 5:18 am

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
(math wizard)
Your writing skills = V50 SA.

Also, you're full of shit about the top 1-2% thing. Yes, professors play a huge role in recommending YLS students to feeder judges. And, yes, a YLS professor may comment on the relative quality of a YLS student's final exam in a LOR or on a phone call. But the notion that the school informally makes available—or that the judges can figure out—who has "top 1–2% grades" after YLS 1L is ridiculous. That's not how it works.
I wouldn't respond but for the possibility that you're actively misleading YLS 1Ls reading this thread. Do you go to YLS? Have you personally spoken to YLS students who have secured clerkships with Judge Srinivasan? Obviously not.

It's ridiculous to suggest that Judge Srinivasan has no way to distinguish between two YLS applicants with straight Hs. He calls their professors. They will tell him whether or not that applicant wrote a top-scoring exam. That's precisely how it works.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed May 10, 2017 5:20 am

Anonymous User wrote: It's ridiculous to suggest that Judge Srinivasan has no way to distinguish between two YLS applicants with straight Hs. He calls their professors. They will tell him whether or not that applicant wrote a top-scoring exam. That's precisely how it works.
Yes, that is often how it works. Now explain to me like I'm five how this proves that Sri knows who has top 1–2% grades at YLS.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2017 5:47 am

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: It's ridiculous to suggest that Judge Srinivasan has no way to distinguish between two YLS applicants with straight Hs. He calls their professors. They will tell him whether or not that applicant wrote a top-scoring exam. That's precisely how it works.
Yes, that is often how it works. Now explain to me like I'm five how this proves that Sri knows who has top 1–2% grades at YLS?
A top 1–2% applicant from YLS will have written at least 3 top-scoring or model exam answers in her ~7 graded 1L classes, assuming straight Hs. Judge Srinivasan can know this because YLS professors are generally willing to disclose to him whether the applicant wrote a top-scoring or model exam answer. He often uses the telephone to uncover this information. But sometimes he uses electronic mail.

(Your counterargument from personal incredulity is, I hope, totally unconvincing to YLS 1Ls reading this thread.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed May 10, 2017 7:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Yes, that is often how it works. Now explain to me like I'm five how this proves that Sri knows who has top 1–2% grades at YLS?
A top 1–2% applicant from YLS will have written at least 3 top-scoring or model exam answers in her ~7 graded 1L classes, assuming straight Hs. Judge Srinivasan can know this because YLS professors are generally willing to disclose to him whether the applicant wrote a top-scoring or model exam answer. He often uses the telephone to uncover this information. But sometimes he uses electronic mail.

(Your counterargument from personal incredulity is, I hope, totally unconvincing to YLS 1Ls reading this thread.)
Why would YLS 1Ls want it to be true? More of them have a chance if it's harder for him to know with certainty whom the top two or three students are.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2017 8:19 am

lawman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Why would YLS 1Ls want it to be true? More of them have a chance if it's harder for him to know with certainty whom the top two or three students are.
All I'm saying is YLS applicants shouldn't be mislead about their chances.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2017 9:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Based on my experience, your overall point is exactly right. But how would a YLS 1L have 7 graded classes? Are you included blind grades from fall semester?

(Different anon, obviously.)

LurkerTurnedMember

Bronze

Post by LurkerTurnedMember » Wed May 10, 2017 10:16 am

This thread reminds me of How To Get Away With Murder. It's overly exaggerated based on inaccurate info to begin with. If I had a penny for every time someone on this site said "I heard from someone" or makes a bold assertion without having any personal knowledge of its truth, I would retire today.

Anyway, my school takes the top 3.72 students (not percent of class.. students) and gives them one free year of illuminati membership, subject of course to continued good grades, law review, and their tongue deep anus massages for the professors who clerked for SCOTUS before. Turns out it's a great way to meet feeder judges and walk into one of their clerkship positions. I just feel bad for the 0.28 of the fourth student that didn't make it.

P.S. On a serious note, stop saying stupid stuff like, "If you have to ask you aren't qualified." There are many students/people out there who are perfect for a clerkship, including feeder clerkships, but given their background aren't familiar with the process or even aware of it enough to know right now they'd like to clerk. Saying stupid stuff like that discourages a lot of deserving, potential applicants.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2017 10:45 am

LurkerTurnedMember wrote:This thread reminds me of How To Get Away With Murder. It's overly exaggerated based on inaccurate info to begin with. If I had a penny for every time someone on this site said "I heard from someone" or makes a bold assertion without having any personal knowledge of its truth, I would retire today.

Anyway, my school takes the top 3.72 students (not percent of class.. students) and gives them one free year of illuminati membership, subject of course to continued good grades, law review, and their tongue deep anus massages for the professors who clerked for SCOTUS before. Turns out it's a great way to meet feeder judges and walk into one of their clerkship positions. I just feel bad for the 0.28 of the fourth student that didn't make it.

P.S. On a serious note, stop saying stupid stuff like, "If you have to ask you aren't qualified." There are many students/people out there who are perfect for a clerkship, including feeder clerkships, but given their background aren't familiar with the process or even aware of it enough to know right now they'd like to clerk. Saying stupid stuff like that discourages a lot of deserving, potential applicants.
This. TLS is like a giant echo chamber for a small number of anecdotal experiences. God forbid your own experience differed from the expected norm.

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Wed May 10, 2017 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
LurkerTurnedMember wrote:This thread reminds me of How To Get Away With Murder. It's overly exaggerated based on inaccurate info to begin with. If I had a penny for every time someone on this site said "I heard from someone" or makes a bold assertion without having any personal knowledge of its truth, I would retire today.

This. TLS is like a giant echo chamber for a small number of anecdotal experiences. God forbid your own experience differed from the expected norm.
"Hey everyone, I finished top third at MVP and am now clerking on the district of New Mexico. I'm just wondering how I go through the SCOTUS clerk application process. I know my chances aren't good, but it's worth a shot!"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2017 11:34 am

I give up. I'm sure you have first hand knowledge of how the clerkship process works at every school, and that you're top 10 (people) in your class at all of the T14. Congrats.

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Wed May 10, 2017 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:I give up. Everyone who doesn't go to YHS is an idiot.
This is a thread about clerking for Sri Srinivasan.
eta:
So it's also for people who were top 1 or 2 or 3 students at a t14

e.g. this dude:
https://content.law.virginia.edu/news/2 ... /tyson.htm
"Tyson, who is originally from Mequon, Wisconsin, is the recipient of the Carl M. Franklin Prize, which honors the student with the highest grade point average after the first year of law school, and served on the editorial board of the Virginia Law Review. At graduation, he received the Traynor Prize and Law School Alumni Association Best Note Award for his law review publication. He also received the Faculty Award for Academic Excellence, given to the student with the most outstanding academic record at graduation."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”