Class Rank on Oscar Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Class Rank on Oscar

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:58 am

As far as I know, my school only alerts students in the top ten overall. The registrar's office does release the cuttoffs of the top 10% and 20% GPA lines on its website.

I have no idea where I am. I have made Dean's List each term, which indicates the top 30%, but there is no actual way of knowing precisely where I am in the class insofar as percentage since I am below (slightly) the top 20%.

My question is–––is it better to list top 25% on OSCAR (if I am confident I am numerically within), or should I indicate "My School Does not Rank" or "I am not ranked" on OSCAR. Relatedly, I am trying to figure out, especially for judges with an online filtering process, what happens to students who select "My school does not rank" v. "I do not rank" v. a "percentage ranking"

Which selection am I best off with to increase the chance my clerkship application actually gets looked at?

grand inquisitor

Gold

Re: Class Rank on Oscar

Post by grand inquisitor » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:01 am

it sounds like your school does rank so i'm not sure it's a good idea to choose the "my school does not rank" or "i have no rank" options. if you are confident you are top 25% then put that. or you could go to student affairs and probably get a more definite answer.

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:As far as I know, my school only alerts students in the top ten overall. The registrar's office does release the cuttoffs of the top 10% and 20% GPA lines on its website.

I have no idea where I am. I have made Dean's List each term, which indicates the top 30%, but there is no actual way of knowing precisely where I am in the class insofar as percentage since I am below (slightly) the top 20%.

My question is–––is it better to list top 25% on OSCAR (if I am confident I am numerically within), or should I indicate "My School Does not Rank" or "I am not ranked" on OSCAR. Relatedly, I am trying to figure out, especially for judges with an online filtering process, what happens to students who select "My school does not rank" v. "I do not rank" v. a "percentage ranking"

Which selection am I best off with to increase the chance my clerkship application actually gets looked at?

You should check out some of the responses here for some more insight: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=275964

Clerks can filter OSCAR apps according to percentage (show me only top 20% student apps). Applicants from schools that don't rank will be included in the results for any limit. Food for thought.

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:47 am

grand inquisitor wrote:it sounds like your school does rank so i'm not sure it's a good idea to choose the "my school does not rank" or "i have no rank" options. if you are confident you are top 25% then put that. or you could go to student affairs and probably get a more definite answer.
Don't do this. If your school doesn't release official percentile rankings aside from the top 20%, you definitely shouldn't try and calculate it yourself. You should set up a meeting with either (1) your clerkship office; (2) the dean; or (3) career services, in that order. They should be willing to release your ranking to you or tell you at least where you fall in the class to help you apply to clerkships. All schools ranks; however, many schools don't make the rankings generally available. If they think it'll help you land a fed. clerkship, however, they probably would.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:00 pm

Yeah, I'd start with your clerkship office to see if they can give you a more definite rank or have an official policy on what people in your situation do.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”