Government Shutdown Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
TEIAM

Bronze

Government Shutdown

Post by TEIAM » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:16 pm

Anyone have any ideas what the implications would be for clerks? I know it happened back in 2013.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... 1bdeb0114b

Anonymous User

Re: Government Shutdown

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:43 pm

Judiciary has the funds to stay open another 3 weeks and change. After that clerks and judges alike will presumably be shut down like the rest of the country. Guidance to current clerks thus far has not gone beyond that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Judiciary has the funds to stay open another 3 weeks and change. After that clerks and judges alike will presumably be shut down like the rest of the country. Guidance to current clerks thus far has not gone beyond that.
Depends on the court.
Last time there was a shutdown, for example, the Eleventh Circuit declared all of its employees (including clerks) necessary, so they kept working.
(But no government employee--even an essential one--gets paid after appropriations run out. At least not until they inevitably get paid retroactively later on.)

http://www.ca11.uscourts.gov/sites/defa ... rder40.pdf

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Judiciary has the funds to stay open another 3 weeks and change. After that clerks and judges alike will presumably be shut down like the rest of the country. Guidance to current clerks thus far has not gone beyond that.
Depends on the court.
Last time there was a shutdown, for example, the Eleventh Circuit declared all of its employees (including clerks) necessary, so they kept working.
(But no government employee--even an essential one--gets paid after appropriations run out. At least not until they inevitably get paid retroactively later on.)

Ah. Didn't realize. Well the above still applies to at least majority of ninth circuit.

http://www.ca11.uscourts.gov/sites/defa ... rder40.pdf

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:09 pm

Anyone gotten any guidance if it actually comes to pass this time? Would paychecks get delayed, or is the judiciary's reserve (or whatever you want to call it) good for about three weeks like someone alluded to? Current chambers law clerk if it matters.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:54 pm

I haven't heard anything. I don't expect a shutdown to happen this time.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone gotten any guidance if it actually comes to pass this time? Would paychecks get delayed, or is the judiciary's reserve (or whatever you want to call it) good for about three weeks like someone alluded to? Current chambers law clerk if it matters.
Like the posters above said, it's a court-by-court question. I'd ask around your courthouse about what happened in the last shutdown.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:40 pm

BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone gotten any guidance if it actually comes to pass this time? Would paychecks get delayed, or is the judiciary's reserve (or whatever you want to call it) good for about three weeks like someone alluded to? Current chambers law clerk if it matters.
Like the posters above said, it's a court-by-court question. I'd ask around your courthouse about what happened in the last shutdown.
Yeah - even if “the judiciary” has some funds, a lot of budgeting decisions are made locally and I wouldn’t be surprised if different courts handle things differently. What happened last time is probably as good a guide as you’re going to get.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:06 pm

CA9 clerk, here. We were forwarded an email today from the AO. Basically there is enough money from filing fees and what not to keep the judiciary running for about three weeks (paying all employees, paying jurors for service, etc.). Other decisions would have to be made from there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:46 am

2d Cir says clerks are essential by virtue of the judge, so we keep working and earning a salary. Whether we actually get paid on time during a shutdown, no one can say for sure, but there will be backpay.

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:58 am

lavarman84 wrote:I haven't heard anything. I don't expect a shutdown to happen this time.
what do you think now

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:04 am

blueapple wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:I haven't heard anything. I don't expect a shutdown to happen this time.
what do you think now
Nope, no shutdown is happening.

Yea, I was dead wrong. I didn't think the Democrats had the balls to follow through on their threats.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”