Two D. Ct. Clerkships worth it? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Two D. Ct. Clerkships worth it?

Post by rpupkin » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Thanks, this is all helpful advice. I'm leaning towards doing SSC, but if I do that, would it then make little sense to try for fed COA after the Dist. Ct.? That seems like a whole lot of clerking.
Yeah, it does. I don't think there would be much point in doing a COA clerkship after SSC and district-court clerkships.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Mon May 01, 2017 1:51 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Thanks, this is all helpful advice. I'm leaning towards doing SSC, but if I do that, would it then make little sense to try for fed COA after the Dist. Ct.? That seems like a whole lot of clerking.
Yeah, it does. I don't think there would be much point in doing a COA clerkship after SSC and district-court clerkships.
Agreed. And in some ways, SSC clerkship would be better than COA clerkship. But probably not in the job-seeking sense if you're not looking to practice in the same state as your SSC clerkship.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Mon May 01, 2017 1:54 pm

Though what happens if you're aiming to land at say Kellogg Huber or Robbins Russell post clerkship. Will they decide that the SSC + D.Ct. is fine for their purposes?

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Mon May 01, 2017 6:43 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:Though what happens if you're aiming to land at say Kellogg Huber or Robbins Russell post clerkship. Will they decide that the SSC + D.Ct. is fine for their purposes?
Much more likely to hire a COA+ D CT than a SSC +. D CT. In fact, I don't recall seeing a single state-court clerk at either.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue May 02, 2017 11:54 am

FascinatedWanderer wrote:Though what happens if you're aiming to land at say Kellogg Huber or Robbins Russell post clerkship. Will they decide that the SSC + D.Ct. is fine for their purposes?
Probably not. But we know that OP wants to practice (possibly at a lit boutique) in the state in which they would clerk, so we know that DC isn't in the picture.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 02, 2017 5:57 pm

What if it's DDC and DC Court of Appeals (so DC's SSC).

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue May 02, 2017 9:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What if it's DDC and DC Court of Appeals (so DC's SSC).
No one thinks of CADC as "DC's state supreme court."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 02, 2017 10:14 pm

rpupkin wrote:
It is DC's court of last resort though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 02, 2017 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:The District of Columbia Court of Appeals is the highest court of the District of Columbia. Established in 1970, it is equivalent to a state supreme court, except that its authority is derived from the United States Congress rather than from the inherent sovereignty of the states

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue May 02, 2017 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
No, the U.S. Supreme Court is. Is SCOTUS "the nation's state supreme court?"

As for your wikipedia quote, no one in the legal community thinks of the DC Circuit as the equivalent to a state supreme court.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 02, 2017 10:28 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
No, the U.S. Supreme Court is. Is SCOTUS "the nation's state supreme court?"

As for your wikipedia quote, no one in the legal community thinks of the DC Circuit as the equivalent to a state supreme court.
I'm talking about the District of Columbia Court of Appeals, not the DC Circuit Court of Appeals. And by "SSC" I meant that to the extent that DC is treated as a state with its own laws for which its "state" supreme court (or here, its court of appeals since it does not have an intermediate appellate court) is the court of last resort on questions of DC law.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue May 02, 2017 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm talking about the District of Columbia Court of Appeals, not the DC Circuit Court of Appeals. And by "SSC" I meant that to the extent that DC is treated as a state with its own laws for which its "state" supreme court (or here, its court of appeals since it does not have an intermediate appellate court) is the court of last resort on questions of DC law.
I misunderstood you; I apologize. I don't know much about the DC Court of Appeals.

When folks talk about the benefits of clerking for a State Supreme Court in relation to practicing law in that State, they're generally not thinking about the DC Court of Appeals, which is a different animal. If you're thinking about the District of Columbia as your "state," you probably should throw much of the advice in this thread (including my advice) out the window.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”