JSP locality rates in Nashville, etc. Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

JSP locality rates in Nashville, etc.

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:49 am

I'll be clerking in Nashville soon, and I'm a bit baffled by the locality rate table on the US Courts' website. I don't see any table for the Nashville region, which would presumably mean that its locality adjustment falls under Rest of US, but can that really be correct? Nashville is one of the ~25 most expensive cities in America to live in. What sense does it make that, for example, Davenport, IA and Huntsville, AL would have their own tables, each with a locality adjustment greater than Nashville's (assuming Nashville is in RUS)? Am I missing something?

mjb447

Silver

Re: JSP locality rates in Nashville, etc.

Post by mjb447 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:56 am

Sounds totally plausible. Fed HR stuff often doesn't make a lot of intuitive sense.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:11 pm

It doesn't make sense, or if it makes sense, the system is beyond the comprehension of mortals. Consider locality pay for Raleigh NC, and Richmond VA, which get a bigger locality bump than Hawaii. I've lived in all three of these, and lol, just lol.
Last edited by anon sequitur on Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:25 pm

You're not missing anything: Nashville JSP rates are definitely RUS. Really, really dumb.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:58 pm

anon sequitur wrote:It doesn't make sense, or if it makes sense, the system is beyond the comprehension of mortals. Consider locality pay for Raleigh NC, and Richmond VA, which get a bigger locality bump than Hawaii. I've lived in all three of these, and lol, just lol.
I wonder if the rates reflect some combination of COL + desirability of location? As in, the COL in Davenport, IA is much lower than in Nashville, but you need to offer that much more $$$ in order to convince people to move to Davenport (nothing against Davenport). Might also explain why you don't get that much of a bump for living in Hawaii.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:18 pm

Perhaps state income tax (or lack thereof, in Nashville) is a factor.

spud3000

New

Post by spud3000 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:21 pm

Downtown is relatively expensive for the south, but drive ~10 miles in the "right" direction and you can find a two bedroom for $700/mo. I still think it should have its own locality rate though

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:28 pm

Yeah, imagine that when they calculate cost of living, a big part of it is the availability of lower cost housing within a reasonable commute of the job site. A thirty minute commute from almost any southern or midwestern city gets you a pretty cheap place to live. Thirty minutes from Manhattan or SF is still expensive as heck. Would be very interested to know if state tax rates are explicitly factored in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”