Taking Fed Courts Pass/Fail? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Taking Fed Courts Pass/Fail?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:33 pm

I'm currently a 3L in my last semester and taking Fed Courts. T6, above Median, heading to a V10. I'm not sure if I will Clerk, but if I do, it will likely be after a couple years of working.

I have an option to take Fed Courts Pass/Fail this semester. If I do that, would it hurt my chances once I start applying to clerkships? I'm a little checked out and wonder if the Pass is better than getting a B or vice versa. What do you all think?

Thanks!

mjb447

Silver

Re: Taking Fed Courts Pass/Fail?

Post by mjb447 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:47 pm

I took Fed Courts pass/fail and I don't think it hurt me much. A small number of judges might care, but I suspect most won't, particularly if you're applying after working for a few years. (Getting a B in a single class also isn't as significant a few years out, but I think more judges have a GPA cutoff that you could risk falling below with a bad grade than have a "take Fed Courts for a letter grade" requirement.)

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently a 3L in my last semester and taking Fed Courts. T6, above Median, heading to a V10. I'm not sure if I will Clerk, but if I do, it will likely be after a couple years of working.

I have an option to take Fed Courts Pass/Fail this semester. If I do that, would it hurt my chances once I start applying to clerkships? I'm a little checked out and wonder if the Pass is better than getting a B or vice versa. What do you all think?
The sorts of judges who care about your Fed Courts grade are generally not going to hire a student who is just somewhat above median anyway. So I think pass/fail is fine in your case. (If you had, say, top 5% grades and were shooting for competitive COA judges, then I'd recommend taking the class for a grade.)

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:06 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently a 3L in my last semester and taking Fed Courts. T6, above Median, heading to a V10. I'm not sure if I will Clerk, but if I do, it will likely be after a couple years of working.

The sorts of judges who care about your Fed Courts grade are generally not going to hire a student who is just somewhat above median anyway. So I think pass/fail is fine in your case. (If you had, say, top 5% grades and were shooting for competitive COA judges, then I'd recommend taking the class for a grade.)
Agreed. Also, if you want to clerk after 2 years at a firm, you should be looking/applying now.

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:54 pm

Thanks!
Why do you randomly capitalize words?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:07 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:

Thanks!
She/he has a great deal of respect for nouns obviously

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:07 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:

Thanks!
OP is intending to target German-born judges.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”