Post-clerkship DOJ/firm timeline Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Post-clerkship DOJ/firm timeline

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:30 am

In the first of two years of clerkships, left biglaw to try to go AUSA. From what I have heard from my judge is that the normal timeline for applying to DOJ is around January of the year your clerkship would end. I can see from this board that firm hiring is all over the board but would be around the same time or earlier and moves much faster, generally.

My question/concern is, if I am gunning for AUSA but would obviously take firms as a backup, is that even feasible? Wouldn't you be forced to accept with a firm before any possibility of AUSA opportunities are parsed out? I can't imagine I'm the only one to have used this strategy. I think I could return to my old firman shorter notice but likely without a clerkship bonus which is less than idea but still palatable.

mjb447

Silver

Re: Post-clerkship DOJ/firm timeline

Post by mjb447 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:34 am

I'd heard that most firms moved later (say March - May). Definitely know people who've been trapped in gov hiring limbo and ultimately took a firm job rather than wait longer, though.

newlawgrad

New

Re: Post-clerkship DOJ/firm timeline

Post by newlawgrad » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:57 pm

mjb447 wrote:I'd heard that most firms moved later (say March - May). Definitely know people who've been trapped in gov hiring limbo and ultimately took a firm job rather than wait longer, though.
Also interested in this. Any thought to accepting a firm and reneging if it came to that?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”