Offered an interview, now what? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Offered an interview, now what?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:40 pm

Dumb question but I was offered two interviews with two dist. ct. judges earlier this week. Got phone calls, scheduled dates/time for the interview for 1 and 2 weeks from now(ish).

Am I just supposed to show up at the courthouse at the date/time agreed on? Or should I be expecting some sort of written confirmation?

Maybe I'm just used to firms where they have dedicated HR people...

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Offered an interview, now what?

Post by rpupkin » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dumb question but I was offered two interviews with two dist. ct. judges earlier this week. Got phone calls, scheduled dates/time for the interview for 1 and 2 weeks from now(ish).

Am I just supposed to show up at the courthouse at the date/time agreed on? Or should I be expecting some sort of written confirmation?
You might receive some form of written confirmation. You might not. Either way, just show up at the date/time agreed on.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:56 pm

I wouldn't bother showing up unless you get a notarized letter with a wet-ink signature.

But yeah, just show up at chambers at the scheduled time. You might get written confirmation - if you do, it might tell you where to park, where public entrance/security/elevators are, etc. If not, you may want to research those things yourself to ensure that you leave enough time. Either way, you should arrive at chambers at the scheduled interview time (mine has a buzzer, and candidates buzz in at or around the interview time).

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:04 pm

mjb447 wrote:I wouldn't bother showing up unless you get a notarized letter with a wet-ink signature.
:lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dumb question but I was offered two interviews with two dist. ct. judges earlier this week. Got phone calls, scheduled dates/time for the interview for 1 and 2 weeks from now(ish).

If you have questions, you should call the judge's JA. That person will likely be happy to help.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

If you have questions, you should call the judge's JA. That person will likely be happy to help.
I'd add that not every judge has a JA (but they will likely have at least someone who works on administrative matters).

lanieh05406

New

Post by lanieh05406 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:02 am

What I did was call the JA 1-2 days before and confirmed the time and asked if there was anything I needed to know about getting into the courthouse, parking, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:29 pm

Thanks, everyone. I think I'm just wary because I have to book the flight out there and find a hotel and all that. So I'm concerned about booking a flight/hotel and then having the clerk call later and tell me that the agreed-upon time was only tentative and that I should come in the week after or something...

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks, everyone. I think I'm just wary because I have to book the flight out there and find a hotel and all that. So I'm concerned about booking a flight/hotel and then having the clerk call later and tell me that the agreed-upon time was only tentative and that I should come in the week after or something...
If you're that concerned, there's nothing wrong with sending the JA a follow-up email confirming the date and time you agreed to on the phone.

ETA: Oh, and I recommend getting refundable tickets for the flight and the hotel. It's not uncommon for a judge to hire another candidate on the spot and then cancel subsequent interviews.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”