D.ct --> two years' biglaw --> COA? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

D.ct --> two years' biglaw --> COA?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:35 pm

Currently clerking on a district court. I missed the boat on 17-18 COA's given that my current clerkship ends after 99% of 17-18 COA clerkships begin. I also haven't heavily targeted 18-19 COA's because I need to be at my firm a year for my clerkship bonus to vest and would start an 18-19 clerkship before that happens.

So. Is it worth it to try and go d.ct. --> two years biglaw --> 19-20 COA? Whether it's worth it obviously depends on my goals. After the hypothetical COA clerkship I would ideally transition to DOJ/USAO/State AG. I see the COA as 1) being a great experience and 2) being a way to transition from biglaw to government. The only issue is that a government gig is not guaranteed, so it may be that I end up looking at firms post-COA. In that case, would it be tough for me to land something at a firm given that I would be coming in as essentially a 5th year (I think? come in as 2nd year after d.ct., two years big law, class year credit for COA)?

Would like some input before I put the effort into crafting 19-20 term apps.

Anonymous User

Re: D.ct --> two years' biglaw --> COA?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:02 am

Bump

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:46 pm

z
Last edited by JusticeJackson on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JakeTappers

Bronze

Post by JakeTappers » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:14 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:I sorta did this, but in reverse order (fed coa -> firm -> fed d Ct.) It worked for me. There are definitely fewer openings for people that.
Sort of off-topic but I posted elsewhere about this and will be in a similar situation. Did the firms just materialize too quickly? Any thought of reneging? I really only want to be an AUSA but prefer biglaw over unemployment, obviously.
Last edited by JakeTappers on Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:24 pm

c
Last edited by JusticeJackson on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JakeTappers

Bronze

Post by JakeTappers » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:41 pm

Sure, I totally get it after you start, I just fear I will be forced to accept long before any AUSA will figure stuff out. I actually appreciate the 8 months. Ideally I'd just as well apply right when my COA clerkship starts in September and get it figured out as soon as possible. But Who knows what will happen with hiring freeze and when I will even have the opportunity to apply.

Any advice as far as applying/getting interviews even though you ultimately went another direction? (Just trying to acquire as much data as possible).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”