Clerkship Interview - What to expect? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Clerkship Interview - What to expect?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:18 pm

A judge reached out to me this week to schedule an interview for a clerkship. He said he is inviting 3 applicants in to interview. What can I expect him to ask me?

Is he going to quiz me on various legal standards or just get to know me and see if he likes me. Could anyone share their experiences in a clerkship interview and what you did to prepare? I understand that every judge is different but very excited and nervous because my stats are little below average. Thank you very much.

Anonymous User

Re: Clerkship Interview - What to expect?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A judge reached out to me this week to schedule an interview for a clerkship. He said he is inviting 3 applicants in to interview. What can I expect him to ask me?

Is he going to quiz me on various legal standards or just get to know me and see if he likes me. Could anyone share their experiences in a clerkship interview and what you did to prepare? I understand that every judge is different but very excited and nervous because my stats are little below average. Thank you very much.
Unlikely you'll be asked anything substantive unless it's a specialty court. And even then, it's usually just an attempt to gauge your interest in the field.

Generally, it's going to be more about fit than anything else. You will likely meet with his or her current clerks and they may ask about how you research or approach a problem. A judge is going to ask more about your experiences than anything else. Also, in my experience, the "interest/activities" section of your resume will come up more than anything else.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:57 pm

TLS's search feature may be your friend here.

Anyway, agreed that it's *likely* to be a fit interview, although there are certainly judges who like you to know what's going on in the legal world or to have read recent decisions etc. Best advice I can give is:

(1) Know yourself. Make sure you know and can talk about everything on your resume, some of the classes you took in law school, the drafting process for your writing sample, why you want to clerk, and what you hope to do with your career.

(2) Know the judge. Read a few of his opinions to see what the caseload and his writing style are like. Learn about where you'll be clerking, particularly if it's not a major market.

Also, if you can find any of his former clerks on the internet and you have anything in common with them (alumni of your law school are often particularly helpful), you may want to reach out to see what the judge values and what the interview process is like.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:31 pm

mjb447 wrote:Also, if you can find any of his former clerks on the internet and you have anything in common with them (alumni of your law school are often particularly helpful), you may want to should reach out to see what the judge values and what the interview process is like.
OP: This is not like interviewing at law firms; it's very hard to provide general guidance. Some judges absolutely will quiz you on the law; others will ask only about your family and hobbies. Some judges will talk to you for 1 - 2 hours; others will check in with you for 5 minutes and leave the main interviewing to the clerks. Some judges like interviewees who are combative and argumentative; others value docility and submissiveness.

For many questions related to legal employment, the TLS hive can be very helpful. This isn't one of them. Find someone who clerked for the judge and ask about the judge's approach to interviews.

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:40 pm

rpupkin wrote:
mjb447 wrote:Also, if you can find any of his former clerks on the internet and you have anything in common with them (alumni of your law school are often particularly helpful), you may want to should reach out to see what the judge values and what the interview process is like.
OP: This is not like interviewing at law firms; it's very hard to provide general guidance. Some judges absolutely will quiz you on the law; others will ask only about your family and hobbies. Some judges will talk to you for 1 - 2 hours; others will check in with you for 5 minutes and leave the main interviewing to the clerks. Some judges like interviewees who are combative and argumentative; others value docility and submissiveness.

For many questions related to legal employment, the TLS hive can be very helpful. This isn't one of them. Find someone who clerked for the judge and ask about the judge's approach to interviews.
I agree with this completely. You will find much variance between judges, but also between types of judges. Fit is probably the most important at the D. Court level. COA might be slightly more law focused, or judicial philosophy related. But again, every judge is different.

As was previously said, that the best thing you can do is reach out to previous clerks for that judge and get specific guidance for the judge you are interviewing with.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:02 pm

Heh, guess I buried the lede a little. I think the advice I gave will help you prepare for some of the questions that lots of judges ask (pretty sure my initial bad answer to "why do you want to clerk" torpedoed my chances with more than one), but you should definitely try to find someone who's interviewed with this judge if it's at all possible. A former clerk who's particularly open and who has a good memory might even be able to tell you particular questions to think about in advance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:25 am

How should I prepare for the interview?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How should I prepare for the interview?
Uhhh....can you not see the responses in this thread? That's what all the posts are about.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:23 pm

Good night's sleep, healthy breakfast, "power poses" if you like pseudo-science ...

I'm also a little confused about what else you're asking for.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:26 pm

mjb447 wrote:
Good night's sleep, healthy breakfast, "power poses" if you like pseudo-science ...

I'm also a little confused about what else you're asking for.

Memorize AIII and prepare to recite. Obviously.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A judge reached out to me this week to schedule an interview for a clerkship. He said he is inviting 3 applicants in to interview. What can I expect him to ask me?

1. go onto linkdin. 2. find someone who clerked for the judge. 3. write a very brief (but warm) email to the former clerks (obviously it's best if you can find clerks you share something with, like undergrad, affinity groups, interests etc., but this is not critical), 4. set up a time to chat with them and ask them about what to expect in the interview.

Phys1calk1ller

New

Post by Phys1calk1ller » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:34 am

The best interview tip I have for judges (or really any interview) is to be active and involved in the conversation. My first few clerkship interviews went poorly because I just sat and waited for them to ask the next question. As nervous as you may be, you need to take control over the interview.

Also, if the judge asks you something substantive and you don't know the answer, just admit it. People sometimes try to wing it or find an excuse for not knowing, and that never turns out well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”