Upcoming federal judge nominations Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Goldie

Bronze

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Post by Goldie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:40 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Thapar nomination (or forthcoming nomination) might have messed up some scotus clerk unicorns. COA --> COA --> SC seems less likely than COA --> D.ct (Thapar) (or vice versa) --> SC.

EDIT: will only screw up those folks who have both clerkships set.
Why would this mess anything up? The clerk may not have wanted two years of appeals court clerking, but Judge Thapar's reputation and influence don't go down because he's a COA judge and not a District judge. And having Judge Thapar + any one of Sutton/Kavanaugh/Kethledge, etc (the typical other COA judges) would be a fantastic position to be in. (The justices weren't hiring just because it was a District/COA combo.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:10 pm

Goldie wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:Thapar nomination (or forthcoming nomination) might have messed up some scotus clerk unicorns. COA --> COA --> SC seems less likely than COA --> D.ct (Thapar) (or vice versa) --> SC.

Why would this mess anything up? The clerk may not have wanted two years of appeals court clerking, but Judge Thapar's reputation and influence don't go down because he's a COA judge and not a District judge. And having Judge Thapar + any one of Sutton/Kavanaugh/Kethledge, etc (the typical other COA judges) would be a fantastic position to be in. (The justices weren't hiring just because it was a District/COA combo.)
I agree with this. I do feel somewhat bad for the people who are going Thapar --> Sutton or Thapar --> Kethledge though (both of which are common combinations). While they're still going to work with two fantastic feeder judges, they'll now have back to back CA6 clerkships instead of a district and a circuit or two separate circuits.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Goldie wrote:

I agree with this. I do feel somewhat bad for the people who are going Thapar --> Sutton or Thapar --> Kethledge though (both of which are common combinations). While they're still going to work with two fantastic feeder judges, they'll now have back to back CA6 clerkships instead of a district and a circuit or two separate circuits.
Ya this was sorta my point. The experience is still incredible -- and extraordinarily well respected judges. But I feel like some folks want the well rounded experience (d. ct. + cir) rather than back to back circuit ct. clerkships.

Then again, I suppose these are first world problems.

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:01 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Goldie wrote:

Ya this was sorta my point. The experience is still incredible -- and extraordinarily well respected judges. But I feel like some folks want the well rounded experience (d. ct. + cir) rather than back to back circuit ct. clerkships.

Then again, I suppose these are first world problems.
First world problems is like running out of ketchup when you still have some french fries left. This is more like the 1%ers world problem. I actually laughed when someone said they "feel bad" for a person who finds themselves going Thapar --> Sutton or Kethledge.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”