Bankruptcy Clerkships Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Bankruptcy Clerkships

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement on the hiring front?

I'm dropping out of the big law hunt so there's an open spot for one of y'all. I realized the other day that I don't actually want to bill 2200+ hours a year. There's quality work to be done, money to be made, and a life to be had while working for a mid market firm.
which district are you in?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any movement on the hiring front?

I'm dropping out of the big law hunt so there's an open spot for one of y'all. I realized the other day that I don't actually want to bill 2200+ hours a year. There's quality work to be done, money to be made, and a life to be had while working for a mid market firm.
which district are you in?
Won't say District but I'm in Texas.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:43 pm

Thanks - best of luck

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:10 pm

And since I'm no longer pursuing big law bankruptcy in Texas, I will share the information I've gathered through networking if anyone is interested:

- Thompson & Knight in Houston is supposedly looking to add someone
- Dykema in Dallas may be looking to add someone
- Locke Lord in Dallas is looking for someone
- Gardere in Dallas will probably be adding someone soon but they're on a hiring freeze until the merger is complete
- Reed Smith in Houston may be adding another associate but probably not until the summer if they do at all
- Norton Rose in Dallas may be adding someone soon but it may be a mid level associate but they seem to have a strong preference for prior clerks

On the flip side, don't waste your time because these firms are not hiring:
- Baker Botts Dallas
- DLA Piper Dallas
- Munsch Hardt Dallas

I hope this post doesn't out me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:11 am

When is a good time to apply to SDNY/DDel for 2019? Also how is E.D. PA for getting into a local big law firm? I'm right at the top 15% at a inside the top 30 school on a secondary journal for what its worth.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When is a good time to apply to SDNY/DDel for 2019? Also how is E.D. PA for getting into a local big law firm? I'm right at the top 15% at a inside the top 30 school on a secondary journal for what its worth.
As early as this coming May. Bankruptcy judges tend to hire "later" than other circuit and district judges. No earlier than April, I've noticed, but even then that's early.

A good shot for PA especially with ties. Clerks in smaller bankruptcy districts find jobs much easier within their districts.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When is a good time to apply to SDNY/DDel for 2019? Also how is E.D. PA for getting into a local big law firm? I'm right at the top 15% at a inside the top 30 school on a secondary journal for what its worth.
In addition to OSCAR, make sure you check individual court websites for job postings. Sometimes there are positions listed on those sites that don't make it to OSCAR. Good luck!

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:54 pm

minnbills wrote:
In addition to OSCAR, make sure you check individual court websites for job postings. Sometimes there are positions listed on those sites that don't make it to OSCAR. Good luck!
Also, get in good with your bankruptcy professor. That’s how I got my clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:04 pm

Has anyone outside of SDNY/DE actually received an offer? It seems that outside of those jurisdictions, nobody has had much/if any luck, and any potential hits are not with high paying firms. This is really concerning.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone outside of SDNY/DE actually received an offer? It seems that outside of those jurisdictions, nobody has had much/if any luck, and any potential hits are not with high paying firms. This is really concerning.
There hasn’t been any movement in Texas. From what I can tell, most aren’t hiring period and the few considering it aren’t ready to pull the trigger. I get the feeling that there isn’t going to be any movement here for another 2-3 months at least.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:27 pm

My guess is that the Houston bankruptcy clerks (especially those working for prestigious judges) might have some luck in Texas, but outside of Houston will probably struggle. SDNY/DE is what the firms are looking for

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone outside of SDNY/DE actually received an offer? It seems that outside of those jurisdictions, nobody has had much/if any luck, and any potential hits are not with high paying firms. This is really concerning.
No offers from big firms despite several interviews for me. It seems like it’s more a problem of workload than anything else.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
No offers from big firms despite several interviews for me. It seems like it’s more a problem of workload than anything else.
This

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:40 pm

CD CA having luck in CA and NY.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:00 pm

I'm the guy looking for a E.D PA position, it is a killer if I missed out at OCI? MY bankruptcy professor recommended that I try and work for a BK judge this summer to put me over the top. For clerking is that better than say a small law firm? I'm working on bankruptcy stuff at an externship currently if that makes a difference.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm the guy looking for a E.D PA position, it is a killer if I missed out at OCI? MY bankruptcy professor recommended that I try and work for a BK judge this summer to put me over the top. For clerking is that better than say a small law firm? I'm working on bankruptcy stuff at an externship currently if that makes a difference.
Do OCI and try to get biglaw with a BK group that's active in PA. If not, do a bankruptcy externship over a small law firm. I was a BK extern and that helped me get my BK clerkship. Same with a lot of BK clerks I know.

Your current externship adds into your BK interest. BK interest goes a long way for a BK clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm the guy looking for a E.D PA position, it is a killer if I missed out at OCI? MY bankruptcy professor recommended that I try and work for a BK judge this summer to put me over the top. For clerking is that better than say a small law firm? I'm working on bankruptcy stuff at an externship currently if that makes a difference.
Do OCI and try to get biglaw with a BK group that's active in PA. If not, do a bankruptcy externship over a small law firm. I was a BK extern and that helped me get my BK clerkship. Same with a lot of BK clerks I know.

Your current externship adds into your BK interest. BK interest goes a long way for a BK clerkship.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:39 pm

I'm a bankruptcy clerk and I agree with the two posts above. I was involved in choosing my replacement clerk. Anyone with a BK court externship immediately caught my eye when sifting through resumes. BK experience in a small firm would also be good, but I think a candidate with a BK externship would be stronger. Experience with and an understanding of how chambers works is invaluable. Depending on your relationship with the judge during the externship, you may also mention an interest in doing a BK clerkship. The judge may offer help/have insight on who is hiring, etc. Obviously do not expect for the judge to help, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to *casually* drop into conversation that you are interested in clerking after you graduate.

But the above advice is only good if you want to clerk in BK after you graduate. If you want to go directly into a BK firm, I don't know the answer.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm a bankruptcy clerk and I agree with the two posts above. I was involved in choosing my replacement clerk. Anyone with a BK court externship immediately caught my eye when sifting through resumes. BK experience in a small firm would also be good, but I think a candidate with a BK externship would be stronger. Experience with and an understanding of how chambers works is invaluable. Depending on your relationship with the judge during the externship, you may also mention an interest in doing a BK clerkship. The judge may offer help/have insight on who is hiring, etc. Obviously do not expect for the judge to help, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to *casually* drop into conversation that you are interested in clerking after you graduate.

But the above advice is only good if you want to clerk in BK after you graduate. If you want to go directly into a BK firm, I don't know the answer.
Agreed. BK judicial externship would be ideal. I got my clerkship because I externed for a BK Judge and my creditors right prof (also a BK Judge) told me about a Judge hiring and recommended me for it. I don’t know what judges do or don’t use OSCAR but I know the two in my division don’t so you may find out about judges you wouldn’t otherwise know are looking.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I’d also say that getting into complex chapter 11 work would be extremely difficult if you don’t either get a job through OCI or Clerk. I ended up clerking after striking out at OCI and I don’t think the firm that hired me after my clerkship would’ve given my resume a second look without the clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:07 am

Received and accepted an offer with a V100 this week. Non-SDNY/Del. Top 1/3 at T25. Good luck everyone!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Received and accepted an offer with a V100 this week. Non-SDNY/Del. Top 1/3 at T25. Good luck everyone!
What city?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:22 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Received and accepted an offer with a V100 this week. Non-SDNY/Del. Top 1/3 at T25. Good luck everyone!
What city?
NYC/PHI/DC.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:
What city?
NYC/PHI/DC.
Congrats. I’m sure it feels great to have that stress off your shoulders.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:22 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:
What city?
NYC/PHI/DC.
Congrats. I’m sure it feels great to have that stress off your shoulders.
Very much so. I was starting to worry I’d have to settle.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”