Transfer Student -- Any shot at Art III Clerkship? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Transfer Student -- Any shot at Art III Clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:37 pm

Hey guys. I transferred from a TT to a T20 (USC/UCLA). I just got my grades back at my new school, and I got a 3.74 (median is likely 3.2-3.3ish). We don't rank, so I'm not sure exactly where my grades fall. I finished top 14% at my TT.

I just started thinking about clerking over Christmas break. Do I have any shot at this?

Other possibly relevant information:

-I have an SA with a V50 lined up for this summer
-I was a judicial extern for a federal judge during 1L summer
-CALI award in legal writing and research

If anyone can tell me if it's worth going through the application process or if I'm already behind, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Re: Transfer Student -- Any shot at Art III Clerkship?

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:05 pm

Definitely apply. If your grades stay the same you will likely at least get federal district court offers.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:32 pm

Definitely worth a shot, particularly since you might already have or eventually want a good resume and writing sample for other purposes. If there's some practical limit on the number of applications you can submit (e.g. OSCAR's application limit or a maximum number of mailings that your clerkship office will prepare) you'll want to do your homework about where you'll have the best shot and where you'll actually want to live for a year, but it's worth applying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys. I transferred from a TT to a T20 (USC/UCLA). I just got my grades back at my new school, and I got a 3.74 (median is likely 3.2-3.3ish). We don't rank, so I'm not sure exactly where my grades fall. I finished top 14% at my TT.

I just started thinking about clerking over Christmas break. Do I have any shot at this?

If anyone can tell me if it's worth going through the application process or if I'm already behind, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Focus on keeping your grades up. That's the most important thing you can do at this point. I transferred to USC/UCLA and my grades weren't as good as yours. Granted, I did a stint in biglaw after I graduated, but I got an Art III clerkship with ease.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys. I transferred from a TT to a T20 (USC/UCLA). I just got my grades back at my new school, and I got a 3.74 (median is likely 3.2-3.3ish). We don't rank, so I'm not sure exactly where my grades fall. I finished top 14% at my TT.

Focus on keeping your grades up. That's the most important thing you can do at this point. I transferred to USC/UCLA and my grades weren't as good as yours. Granted, I did a stint in biglaw after I graduated, but I got an Art III clerkship with ease.
Somewhat similar, but transferred to a T10, clerked at D and CoA level (after biglaw first), but just keep the grades up and seriously try to get in with at least one professor for recommendation/calls purposes. One thing a roommate of mine did, and I wish I had as a transfer, was to be a research assistant or write a note FOR CREDIT. If that's available at your school, and you can rope in the right professor, you can get an A+ and a LOR/reference. I know some very prestigious judges look for really rigorous classes...but my transfer friend did that, took two seminars, did clinic, graduated T10 with a 4.01 which sort of negates all the rest.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Somewhat similar, but transferred to a T10, clerked at D and CoA level (after biglaw first), but just keep the grades up and seriously try to get in with at least one professor for recommendation/calls purposes. One thing a roommate of mine did, and I wish I had as a transfer, was to be a research assistant or write a note FOR CREDIT. If that's available at your school, and you can rope in the right professor, you can get an A+ and a LOR/reference. I know some very prestigious judges look for really rigorous classes...but my transfer friend did that, took two seminars, did clinic, graduated T10 with a 4.01 which sort of negates all the rest.
Previous Annon transfer from USC/UCLA who clerked. I agree with all of this. While grades are one of the most important things you focus on, that isn't to say that you should do so at the expense of all the other things you will traditionally need, to be a competitive candidate. I managed to be an editor on a secondary journal for my 2L and 3L year, as well as built a good report with a number of professors, who ultimately wrote great letters for me. I also took a few credits as an independent study, where I authored an article that I went on to use as a writing sample (didn't publish it though).

Bottom line, keep your grades up as much as possible, while also getting yourself good experience and references. Also, be geographically flexible - that will greatly increase your marketability.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:44 pm

Just to hop on board the other good advice here: Yes, those grades are good for an AIII clerkship, though you may not get to pick your location (but it won't have to be a terrible location either). Meanwhile:

- Keep focusing on the grades
- Identify a prof or two you've had in your first three semesters (either at USC/UCLA or at your TT) who might be good for a rec and reach out to them.
- Identify a couple profs you can foster a relationship with this semester for the same purpose
- Talk to the clerkship coordinator at your current school as soon as possible
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

timmyd

Bronze

Post by timmyd » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:08 pm

Transfer here from ttt who graduated from a comparable school. Secured an art III clerkship. You are probably ranked a bit higher in your class than I was at my school (grade inflation), but still comparable. You def have a shot. Apply broadly and improve your grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:26 am

Hi all,

I've been on TLS for a while though inactive for the past several years (spent a few years at big law, so things were a bit busy).

I wanted some thoughts on my prospects for securing a district court clerkship since I'm in a similar position (though now as a USC/UCLA alum with experience). I'm currently clerking for a magistrate judge and applying to district courts broadly (though not in entirely unattractive locations). ~3.7-3.75 GPA, on the board of two non-law review journals (and EIC of one of them), and, as I just stated, worked at a firm for a few years before beginning my clerkship. I have one strong recommendation from a partner I worked with at the firm as well as a couple of professors from my school. Any thoughts on how I might fare? I only just started my magistrate clerkship a couple of months ago and am wondering when a good time might be to get my judge (who does like me) to make calls (and whether that's a good idea at all). Otherwise, I have a professor willing to do so.

Thanks in advance!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

I've been on TLS for a while though inactive for the past several years (spent a few years at big law, so things were a bit busy).

I wanted some thoughts on my prospects for securing a district court clerkship since I'm in a similar position (though now as a USC/UCLA alum with experience). I'm currently clerking for a magistrate judge and applying to district courts broadly (though not in entirely unattractive locations). ~3.7-3.75 GPA, on the board of two non-law review journals (and EIC of one of them), and, as I just stated, worked at a firm for a few years before beginning my clerkship. I have one strong recommendation from a partner I worked with at the firm as well as a couple of professors from my school. Any thoughts on how I might fare? I only just started my magistrate clerkship a couple of months ago and am wondering when a good time might be to get my judge (who does like me) to make calls (and whether that's a good idea at all). Otherwise, I have a professor willing to do so.

Thanks in advance!
District Judge Clerk here - I don't think you'll have to many problems securing a second clerkship at all. There are a lot of variables to determine timing, but most of it simply has to do with when the judges in that district are hiring. Also, as far as your judge making calls, that's a very "it depends on the judge" type of thing. Some will, some wont. If you'd like some more specific advice and feedback - feel free to send me a PM.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:55 pm

USC/UCLA alum anon poster here. Thanks for this response! PM'd you.

Would appreciate others' thoughts based on their experience. Just to note, I transferred from a top 50 school to USC/UCLA, had a top 15% finish 1L.
clerk1251 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
District Judge Clerk here - I don't think you'll have to many problems securing a second clerkship at all. There are a lot of variables to determine timing, but most of it simply has to do with when the judges in that district are hiring. Also, as far as your judge making calls, that's a very "it depends on the judge" type of thing. Some will, some wont. If you'd like some more specific advice and feedback - feel free to send me a PM.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”