Bonus When Clerking After Biglaw Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Bonus When Clerking After Biglaw

Post by lawschooliseasy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:14 pm

Does anybody know if it is typical to obtain a clerkship bonus when spending a year in biglaw, clerking and then returning to biglaw?

Lincoln

Silver

Re: Bonus When Clerking After Biglaw

Post by Lincoln » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:51 pm

Yes, AFAIK all firms (at least in NYC, which is what I'm familiar with) which do award a clerkship bonus do so even for people who did not clerk straight out of law school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:10 pm

what if you do law school --> clerkship --> big law (and receive clerkship bonus) --> second clerkship --> big law part II ? Is there a second bonus? Are you more likely to get a second bonus if you switch firms?

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what if you do law school --> clerkship --> big law (and receive clerkship bonus) --> second clerkship --> big law part II ? Is there a second bonus? Are you more likely to get a second bonus if you switch firms?
And what if you do clerkship --> law school --> big law?

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:43 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:what if you do law school --> clerkship --> big law (and receive clerkship bonus) --> second clerkship --> big law part II ? Is there a second bonus? Are you more likely to get a second bonus if you switch firms?
And what if you do clerkship --> law school --> big law?
Chiming in to note that going clerkship --> big law --> law school (aka "Benjamin Buttoning it") is not recommended, as it significantly raises the risk of ultimately being resorbed by your mother. HTH.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

newlawgrad

New

Post by newlawgrad » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:53 pm

How lon do you have to stay to retain bonus? 1 year?

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:57 pm

newlawgrad wrote:How lon do you have to stay to retain bonus? 1 year?
Seems like it may vary by firm, although a year is pretty normal. Cf. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=256128.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:01 pm

I did this and got one. I had to ask and the guy I asked had to go ask some higher power in the firm. If I hadn't asked I wouldn't have gotten the second one. It wasn't automatic.

I'll also note that the firm I'm at tries to be in the scotus clerk market so they end up trying to hire a lot of clerk -> firm -> clerk -> here. I'm no scotus clerk but I get the sense that that helped me.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I did this and got one. I had to ask and the guy I asked had to go ask some higher power in the firm. If I hadn't asked I wouldn't have gotten the second one. It wasn't automatic
I'll derail momentarily - why did you choose to do another clerkship after doing one pre-biglaw? PM if easier.

ETA - accidental anon.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:20 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:51 am

Lincoln wrote:Yes, AFAIK all firms (at least in NYC, which is what I'm familiar with) which do award a clerkship bonus do so even for people who did not clerk straight out of law school.
Is this true for all clerkships or is there a certain level (i.e. federal, or more specifically SCOTUS) that those firms are looking for?

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:00 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:03 pm

Random question:

Since the bonus thing doesn't seem to make all that much sense if you stack a district into a COA, does it make more sense to split them if you know you want to change markets? For example, I'm starting at a NYC firm but have a d.ct. clerkship right out. If I know I want to change markets, do you think I should hold off on the COA application to transition? In addition to the time to change markets, it seems to me I get the 50K bump for the d.ct. for firm 1, and then can get a 70k bonus at firm 2? Whereas if I stack them I just get a one-off 70. Clerking is a financial loser, but isn't this a better move to atleast ensure you get 50k more? The only other question is, do you get the government bump for a year-two clerk if you go back to the firm. Does a year two clerk who goes back to the firm for two years still go to 80k or whatever it is? Thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:26 pm

I did law school --> D.Ct. clerkship --> V20 firm in NY for <2 years --> now COA clerkship. I'm debating whether or not to go back to my NY firm after this clerkship. Any idea whether I would be able to get another bonus? It's a huge reason for me to go back to the firm. Thanks.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I did law school --> D.Ct. clerkship --> V20 firm in NY for <2 years --> now COA clerkship. I'm debating whether or not to go back to my NY firm after this clerkship. Any idea whether I would be able to get another bonus? It's a huge reason for me to go back to the firm. Thanks.
Depends on firm. This kind of thing is usually negotiable. If you want to maximize your chances of getting a second clerkship bonus from your old firm, apply to other firms and get offers with bonuses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:41 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I did law school --> D.Ct. clerkship --> V20 firm in NY for <2 years --> now COA clerkship. I'm debating whether or not to go back to my NY firm after this clerkship. Any idea whether I would be able to get another bonus? It's a huge reason for me to go back to the firm. Thanks.
Depends on firm. This kind of thing is usually negotiable. If you want to maximize your chances of getting a second clerkship bonus from your old firm, apply to other firms and get offers with bonuses.
Thanks for that info. Do you think those offers need to be from firms in the same market? I have put out apps to firms in LA because I am alternatively contemplating moving back there. If I get an offer from one of those firms with a clerkship bonus, do you think that would provide the necessary leverage against my former NY firm?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Thanks for that info. Do you think those offers need to be from firms in the same market? I have put out apps to firms in LA because I am alternatively contemplating moving back there. If I get an offer from one of those firms with a clerkship bonus, do you think that would provide the necessary leverage against my former NY firm?
I don't think the offers need to be from firms in the same market. If your old firm likes you, and if their litigation practice is strong right now, they'll want to match an offer from another firm. If the firm is lukewarm about you and/or if their lit work is slowing down, they're not going to mind if you go to another firm.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:50 pm

I've got a slight variation on this theme. I clerked at district court and then chose to do DOJ Honors instead of go to the firm I summered at after clerking. Do firms only give clerkship bonuses to people who come on straight from the clerkship or can I try for it if I head to Biglaw soon?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've got a slight variation on this theme. I clerked at district court and then chose to do DOJ Honors instead of go to the firm I summered at after clerking. Do firms only give clerkship bonuses to people who come on straight from the clerkship or can I try for it if I head to Biglaw soon?
Most firms won't have a set policy concerning your situation. Try to negotiate.

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've got a slight variation on this theme. I clerked at district court and then chose to do DOJ Honors instead of go to the firm I summered at after clerking. Do firms only give clerkship bonuses to people who come on straight from the clerkship or can I try for it if I head to Biglaw soon?
A clerkship bonus is only for candidates coming directly from a clerkship, for as far as every biglaw firm that I am aware of. That being said, you might be able to negotiate some sort of signing bonus if and when you decide to go into private practice.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:41 pm

clerk1251 wrote:
A clerkship bonus is only for candidates coming directly from a clerkship, for as far as every biglaw firm that I am aware of. That being said, you might be able to negotiate some sort of signing bonus if and when you decide to go into private practice.
I don't think that's true. If you do a clerkship followed by, say, one year of DOJ honors, I suspect that many firms would be open to giving you the standard clerkship bonus. If you work at DOJ for several years after your clerkship, then, no, you're not going to see a clerkship bonus. Then again, such a person wouldn't be an appealing big-law associate candidate anyway.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:45 pm

rpupkin wrote:
clerk1251 wrote:
I don't think that's true. If you do a clerkship followed by, say, one year of DOJ honors, I suspect that many firms would be open to giving you the standard clerkship bonus. If you work at DOJ for several years after your clerkship, then, no, you're not going to see a clerkship bonus. Then again, such a person wouldn't be an appealing big-law associate candidate anyway.
Take a look at most firms websites that discuss their clerkship bonus. They usually say something to the effect of "coming directly from a clerkship."

Moreover, I've never heard of anyone going to biglaw after one year of DOJ honors. I'd question why you want to go to the DOJ if it is only for one year? If it's for longer, than the focus should just be on finding the right firm at the right time, not on a bonus. Your exponentially larger salary will be the bonus.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:50 pm

clerk1251 wrote:Moreover, I've never heard of anyone going to biglaw after one year of DOJ honors. I'd question why you want to go to the DOJ if it is only for one year? If it's for longer, than the focus should just be on finding the right firm at the right time, not on a bonus. Your exponentially larger salary will be the bonus.
Maybe you went to DOJ and then D.J.T. became president and you'd kind of like to egress the federal government for a bit?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:53 pm

clerk1251 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
clerk1251 wrote:
Take a look at most firms websites that discuss their clerkship bonus. They usually say something to the effect of "coming directly from a clerkship."
LOL. Yeah, I'm sure many firms' websites say that. In fact, my firm's web site says that, but we just gave a clerkship bonus to a clerk/DOJ honors hire last year.

As for your second point, many DOJ honors programs have terms of 12 to 24 months. It's not uncommon for the participants in those programs to apply to private law firms when their terms are up.

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:54 pm

rpupkin wrote:
clerk1251 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
clerk1251 wrote:
LOL. Yeah, I'm sure many firms' websites say that. In fact, my firm's web site says that, but we just gave a clerkship bonus to a clerk/DOJ honors hire last year.

As for your second point, many DOJ honors programs have terms of 12 to 24 months. It's not uncommon for the participants in those programs to apply to private law firms when their terms are up.
Well then, I stand corrected. I was just going off what most firms put on their site.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”