Clerkships in US Territories/Commonwealths Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Garcia12aj

New

Clerkships in US Territories/Commonwealths

Post by Garcia12aj » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:28 pm

This admittedly is going to be an odd question/discussion. I am interested in clerking in one of the US territories or commonwealths for the 2018-2019 term or possibly for a 2 year term. I am not from any of the islands nor have I ever been to them. My preference is for the Mariana Islands, Guam, or the Virgin Islands, but would also be okay with Micronesia. Obviously I would prefer the higher prestige of a federal or territory/commonwealth supreme court clerkship, but I would gladly accept an appellate or trial court clerkship. Throwing another wrench in the equation is that I will be clerking for an NJ Superior Court judge during the 2017-2018 term. Hoping that would help my chances but not sure if it helps or hurts. Gaining employment afterword isn't necessarily a concern, and my reason for applying to these positions is more of a want to experience and serve in a unique part of our country. I am posting this for advice on (1) whether I'd even be an attractive candidate, (2) what people's experiences have been in any of these clerkships, and (3) if I should start applying right now or wait until I start clerking in NJ. My stats are below:

1. Currently a 3L and top 1/3 at a 3rd tier school
2. Managing editor of my law review and published
3. Fed bankruptcy externship

Thanks for the help!

Garcia12aj

New

Re: Clerkships in US Territories/Commonwealths

Post by Garcia12aj » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:47 pm

Also want to add, I don't speak Spanish, which is why I didn't add Puerto Rico to the list. I would also be open to any other non-traditional US jurisdictions that I haven't researched. I specifically put the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, the Virgin Islands, and Micronesia because I know they have established clerkships and have researched them a bit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:42 pm

I clerked in one of the places you mentioned. Just as a first note, my understanding is that FSM is an independent sovereign which is affiliated with the U.S. but is not actually part of the U.S. legal system. I cannot speak to whether that means they do or do not take U.S.-educated law clerks, but I don't think there's an Art. IV federal court there.

As to your chances, I think you have some shot at clerkships in the territories. I think, to be frank, based on your stats you will have a better shot with local superior/trial courts than you will with territorial appellate courts or Art. IV district courts. Of course, how good your chances are will really depend on what your application looks like and what your cover letter/application speaks to regarding why you want to go to these places.

mazatec

New

Post by mazatec » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:17 pm

Saw a posting on Symplicity for High Court of American Samoa. What criteria are the looking for?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:52 pm

American Samoa is fairly unique among the territories, because of their special relationship with the mainland. Constitutional law, in particular, is very unique there. That said, beyond the legal stuff, all I know about the High Court of American Samoa is what is here: http://weaver-in-samoa.blogspot.com/200 ... samoa.html.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”