Constitutional Court of South Africa Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Constitutional Court of South Africa

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:54 am

I got an offer to clerk for the constitutional court of South Africa and am thinking about whether to take it. Has anyone on here done this clerkship?

Anonymous User

Re: Constitutional Court of South Africa

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got an offer to clerk for the constitutional court of South Africa and am thinking about whether to take it. Has anyone on here done this clerkship?
Congrats! I haven't, but a classmate is currently clerking there now and seems to enjoy it. Started a couple months ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got an offer to clerk for the constitutional court of South Africa and am thinking about whether to take it. Has anyone on here done this clerkship?
Did you decide to take the clerkship? Also, if you don't mind what is your background/stats? I am graduating right now and took a gov job. Thinking I might want to apply to the constitutional court in a couple years from now. Any tips for the application/interview process? Thanks in advance!

kellyfrost

Platinum

Removed

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:19 pm

Removed post...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:09 am

It’s been a while since I saw this thread, but yes, I did end up taking the clerkship and it was the most fulfilling legal work I’ve ever done. Your experience will depend a lot on who you clerk for, but even in a bad scenario, you’ll have opportunities to shape the clerkship in a way that is interesting to you.

All clerks participate in the process for hiring the next batch of clerks. Foreign clerks are hired based on need/interest by judge and availability of the person wanting to clerk. It was surprisingly common for foreign clerks to accept a clerkship and then drop out before coming (or occasionally drop out after arriving). Foreign clerks aren’t paid so lack of access to funding trips a lot of people up. This means that the best strategy for getting a foreign clerkship is to (1) make sure you have funding (I funded it myself based on my savings from biglaw) and (2) apply often and be flexible about when you start.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”