Clerkship Bonus during a Gap Year between clerkships? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
clt28

New

Clerkship Bonus during a Gap Year between clerkships?

Post by clt28 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:16 pm

Currently clerking at the district court level. Heading back to a biglaw firm for a little over a year, then back to clerking on the COA. Debating asking for a clerkship bonus from my firm now (they know about the COA clerkship), but wondering if anyone has experience negotiating this sort of thing. My guess is the firm would rather wait and pay $75k if I return a second time, rather than some now, and some later. Has anyone dealt with this situation or does anyone have advice on how to negotiate a bonus?

Anonymous User

Re: Clerkship Bonus during a Gap Year between clerkships?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:20 pm

Also curious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:18 pm

Bumping this because I'm facing similar scenario. But, instead: Graduation -> year at a firm -> D. Ct. clerkship -> Return to firm OR accept offer with another firm with a more-appealing litigation practice -> COA clerkship.

Very unsure how I should fill that gap year...

ETA: I just recently accepted the second clerkship and had not yet told either firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:01 pm

From what I've heard, it's firm dependent in a few ways. If you return to the same firm after your second clerkship, I heard it's less likely (perhaps not likely?). But if you go to a different firm after your second clerkship, I heard that they'll be more likely to pay for a second bonus. This is just what I've heard from 2 friends who've gone through the process.

DerKatze

New

Post by DerKatze » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:51 pm

I think he's asking the exact opposite question. Not whether they will pay him after the CoA clerkship, but whether they will pay him before the CoA clerkship, knowing he's going to leave in a year.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to the question.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:26 pm

DerKatze wrote:I think he's asking the exact opposite question. Not whether they will pay him after the CoA clerkship, but whether they will pay him before the CoA clerkship, knowing he's going to leave in a year.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to the question.
This.

Barrred

Bronze

Post by Barrred » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:53 pm

Yes, they will pay you a clerkship bonus when you go to the firm after your first clerkship. At most firms it is an automatic thing that doesnt need any kind of special approval---they will likely just give you their standard post-clerkship employment offer that mentions the standard clerkship bonus.

Where you might get screwed is if the firm's standard post-clerkship offer letter includes a repayment term. Some firms require you to pay back a pro rata share of your clerkship bonus if you leave within a year. To be safe, you should probably keep part of the bonus in a savings account if you think you will have to leave before completing a full year at the firm, in case they ask for part of the bonus back.

If you return to that firm after your second clerkship, you will likely be offered a smaller second clerkship bonus. Many firms pay $50K for one clerkship, and $20K extra for a second clerkship.

I assume you want the bonus after your first clerkship, so you shouldnt raise the issue with them, just wait and see what their post-clerkship offer letter says. If it for some reason doesnt include a bonus (unlikely), then you should raise the issue.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”