2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From what I can gather, most of the top-flight lit boutiques are moving at this point.
What's the basis for this? And what do you mean by "moving?" Interviews?
Scheduling interviews, making offers.
FYI, I know people who have interviewed at: Kellogg Huber, Munger Tolles, Williams and Connolly, Quinn, and Susman Godfrey. And all of those, I think, were well before Christmas and most before Thanksgiving. (So basically, if you applied to those firms a while ago and haven't heard back that's probably bad news.)
I know of someone interviewing at Kellog Huber in a couple weeks. It's likely they're still in play.

I'd love more info on Quinn though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:53 am

Since I'll be going through the DC firm post-clerkship process next year and this thread is on that topic, I wanted to see if anyone had insight on my situation.

About me: Top 1% at a 20-30 non-DC school; clerking on DC Circuit; executive editor on law review.

The reason I'm asking: I've got some opportunities in a secondary market, but I prefer DC. I'm exploring the possibility of keeping my offer open in the secondary, but if that's not possible, I'm contemplating turning down that offer and going for DC market post-clerkship. Obviously, getting a handle on the market (how robust is post-clerking hiring there?) and a rough idea of my chances would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Since I'll be going through the DC firm post-clerkship process next year and this thread is on that topic, I wanted to see if anyone had insight on my situation.

About me: Top 1% at a 20-30 non-DC school; clerking on DC Circuit; executive editor on law review.

The reason I'm asking: I've got some opportunities in a secondary market, but I prefer DC. I'm exploring the possibility of keeping my offer open in the secondary, but if that's not possible, I'm contemplating turning down that offer and going for DC market post-clerkship. Obviously, getting a handle on the market (how robust is post-clerking hiring there?) and a rough idea of my chances would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
While I am not clerking for the DC circuit, I imagine you will be just fine. Your grades are top notch, even if your school missed the T20. There is no harm that I see in holding offer your offer in the secondary market as a backup, and then shopping elsewhere in DC. You can always accept in DC and then withdraw from the secondary market (my co-clerk is actually doing something similar now). Of course you run the risk of burning that bridge, but only if things work out for you anyway, so it won't matter.

My advice would be to make sure you network during your clerkship. We have a very active chamber of the Federal Bar Association, where I am clerking. My Judge goes to most of the events, and the clerks are always invited along. It's pretty cool being introduced to all the other judges and attorneys, by your Judge. Assuming you start in the summer, you will have a solid few months of networking potential, before you even have to start thinking and applying to firms. Anyway, just my $0.02.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From what I can gather, most of the top-flight lit boutiques are moving at this point.
FYI, I know people who have interviewed at: Kellogg Huber, Munger Tolles, Williams and Connolly, Quinn, and Susman Godfrey. And all of those, I think, were well before Christmas and most before Thanksgiving. (So basically, if you applied to those firms a while ago and haven't heard back that's probably bad news.)
I know of someone interviewing at Kellog Huber in a couple weeks. It's likely they're still in play.

I emailed the recruiting contact at Quinn NY right after Thanksgiving and received an offer to interview almost immediately.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I emailed the recruiting contact at Quinn NY right after Thanksgiving and received an offer to interview almost immediately.
I have never heard of someone actually enjoying working at Quinn.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:40 pm

District Court Clerk - Generic rejection from Jones Day (LA) today, and they didn't even bother to spell my name correctly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:District court clerk here. Recently received a generic email ding from Skadden DC. Applied a few days before Christmas.
I got a Skadden DC generic rejection today as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:District Court Clerk - Generic rejection from Jones Day (LA) today, and they didn't even bother to spell my name correctly.
But I am sure they "carefully" reviewed your application. :roll:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:34 pm

Those with a "few" years of experience before clerking having any luck? If so, are you applying to firms that don't necessarily have lateral openings? Biglaw or non-biglaw experience?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Those with a "few" years of experience before clerking having any luck? If so, are you applying to firms that don't necessarily have lateral openings? Biglaw or non-biglaw experience?
I have two years of small/mid-law experience in a small market. Currently on COA, trying to move to a big market. I'm using a recruiter in that market. Just sent out my first round of apps, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:24 pm

Generic ding email from Winston & Strawn D.C. only a few days after applying

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:District Court Clerk - Generic rejection from Jones Day (LA) today, and they didn't even bother to spell my name correctly.
Oh good. Somewhere I was thinking of applying this week. How long did it take for them to get back to you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:49 pm

D. Ct. Clerk. DC Crowell & Moring rejection. Applied yesterday.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:D. Ct. Clerk. DC Crowell & Moring rejection. Applied yesterday.
Also D. Ct. Clerk. Got a rejection email from Arnold & Porter DC this morning. Applied late December.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:12 pm

D. Ct. Clerk. Generic rejections from Quinn and Irell.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:D. Ct. Clerk. DC Crowell & Moring rejection. Applied yesterday.
Don't worry - you dodged a bullet there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Don't worry - you dodged a bullet there.
That's actually a consolation!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Also D. Ct. Clerk. Got a rejection email from Arnold & Porter DC this morning. Applied late December.
Ouch. I applied last week. I assume they're rolling out rejections in order of application. I'll keep an eye out for that. Yay.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:09 pm

If a firm has rejected you, what's the standard etiquette/practice for applying to that firm's office in another city?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:15 pm

We got solicitation letters from Kellogg Huber and Eimer Stahl (of recent ATL clerkship-bonus fame) at my Seventh Circuit chambers in the last week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If a firm has rejected you, what's the standard etiquette/practice for applying to that firm's office in another city?
I think the rule of thumb would be dependent upon if the firm has centralized recruiting or just one contact. Take for example, Susman who has a few different offices but all recruiting goes through their TX office and their main recruiter. Whereas someone like Skadden has a recruiting contact for every office. If you get rejected from Skadden DC, I don't see why you couldn't try your luck at Skadden NY. Susman on the other hand, if you get rejected, regardless of the office, you're out of luck.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:32 pm

For what it's worth, I was told that DC recruiting across the board is going to be way down this year due to the mass exodus from the Obama administration. It sucks - but it might mean that we should start considering alternative markets.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For what it's worth, I was told that DC recruiting across the board is going to be way down this year due to the mass exodus from the Obama administration. It sucks - but it might mean that we should start considering alternative markets.
Do you think that's true for litigation in general, or more for the regulatory folks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For what it's worth, I was told that DC recruiting across the board is going to be way down this year due to the mass exodus from the Obama administration. It sucks - but it might mean that we should start considering alternative markets.
Do you think that's true for litigation in general, or more for the regulatory folks?
Litigation for sure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:19 am

For the post-clerkship hunt, what is the etiquette for sending thank you notes to interviewers following callbacks?

FWIW, I didn't send thank yous during the OCI process, and am now reapplying to essentially the same big firms.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”