2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:COA, summa at T25, no biglaw experience. This week I accepted one of three pending Chicago biglaw offers. Just one data point.
Congrats dawg! Must be a relief to have something locked down.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from WLRK litigation?
I didn't even know that they did lit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:COA, summa at T25, no biglaw experience. This week I accepted one of three pending Chicago biglaw offers. Just one data point.
Congrats dawg! Must be a relief to have something locked down.
Thanks!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
According to the solicitation letter they sent to my chambers, they do in fact do lit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:52 am

ndirish2010 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
According to the solicitation letter they sent to my chambers, they do in fact do lit.
I can't tell if this is all tongue-in-cheek, but they have a pretty fantastic--albeit small and specialized--litigation group.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I can't tell if this is all tongue-in-cheek, but they have a pretty fantastic--albeit small and specialized--litigation group.
Haha, I know. It's just not what they're known for. My response was meant to be tongue and cheek.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am actively telling people not to clerk unless they already have a gig lined up.
I'd second this, though I think H/Y or T10 Coif doesn't seem to have that much of an issue looking for post-clerkship gigs. Other credentials should be very wary.
I guess my question though is if they don't already have a gig lined up, what would they be doing instead?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:49 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am actively telling people not to clerk unless they already have a gig lined up.
I'd second this, though I think H/Y or T10 Coif doesn't seem to have that much of an issue looking for post-clerkship gigs. Other credentials should be very wary.
I guess my question though is if they don't already have a gig lined up, what would they be doing instead?
I agree. I missed out on a biglaw SA from OCI, Without the clerkship I'd be hoping for a small firm after the bar. At least this way id have one extra year and another try at the pie.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Does anyone have intel on where Kirkland, Quinn, and Orrick DC are at?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:38 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That's a fair question. I skipped OCI and did public interest both summers, thinking that a clerkship would get me in the door for firms if I changed my mind.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That's a fair question. I skipped OCI and did public interest both summers, thinking that a clerkship would get me in the door for firms if I changed my mind.
This isn't meant to sound critical or blame-y, but I think having a PI-heavy resume can raise red flags for firm, which a clerkship won't really assuage.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:37 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This isn't meant to sound critical or blame-y, but I think having a PI-heavy resume can raise red flags for firm, which a clerkship won't really assuage.
That is absolutely what I have been running into. I can't even convince MYSELF that I want a firm. So, yay?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:39 pm

Sorry! :( I hope you find something you want soon.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:27 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Sorry! :( I hope you find something you want soon.
Thanks! I keep reminding myself that most places I am actually interested in don't know what they will need in September yet. Just a crazy-making process!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That is absolutely what I have been running into. I can't even convince MYSELF that I want a firm. So, yay?
I'm having the same problem. There's no positive way to spin "I did PI 2L summer because no OCI firm would take me."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm having the same problem. There's no positive way to spin "I did PI 2L summer because no OCI firm would take me."
I don't mean to be rude, but this is not true. The clerkship experience is crucial exposure to the type of complex commercial lit you'd be doing at those firms. It's not hard to tell the story about why you thought you'd only ever do PI until clerking, which expanded your horizons.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Sorry! :( I hope you find something you want soon.
Thanks! I keep reminding myself that most places I am actually interested in don't know what they will need in September yet. Just a crazy-making process!
I keep telling myself the same thing! Here's to hoping...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote: I don't mean to be rude, but this is not true. The clerkship experience is crucial exposure to the type of complex commercial lit you'd be doing at those firms. It's not hard to tell the story about why you thought you'd only ever do PI until clerking, which expanded your horizons.
This is going to sound dumb, but I had not considered using that spin in interviews. I kind of fumbled with inelegant answers when asked why I opted out before. I just got another callback invite, and you've given me a weird sense of relief, so thank you.

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:23 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
To be fair, I've seen bios of quite a few biglaw / boutique associates who opened their own solo shops after clerkship for 1-3 years then jump back to the biglaw track. Put that Ivy+clerkship credentials to use, people. Don't just give up because the traditional track of clerkship-->biglaw didn't pan out due to a bad few years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:28 pm

Jchance wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
To be fair, I've seen bios of quite a few biglaw / boutique associates who opened their own solo shops after clerkship for 1-3 years then jump back to the biglaw track. Put that Ivy+clerkship credentials to use, people. Don't just give up because the traditional track of clerkship-->biglaw didn't pan out due to a bad few years.
I am mildly terrified of malpractice issues that would come from having never practiced. Otherwise, I'd be all in!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Jchance wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I am mildly terrified of malpractice issues that would come from having never practiced. Otherwise, I'd be all in!
Seeing the attorneys that come through your courtroom should be enough to convince you that malpractice is a long shot.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I am mildly terrified of malpractice issues that would come from having never practiced. Otherwise, I'd be all in!
Seeing the attorneys that come through your courtroom should be enough to convince you that malpractice is a long shot.[/quote]

Too real as I read this motion, response, reply, surreply, and SURSURreply. NO SIR.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:34 am

Happy Monday/Last week of March! Any good news out there?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:44 pm

Just got a callback at one of a NYC firm's secondary offices! The hope endures!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:41 pm

I'm a non-trad DJ clerk (did a couple years of irrelevant stuff, then 2-year DJ clerkship, also I had terrible grades). I could only target one major market city for personal reasons and was having no luck. I gave up on big law after getting what seems like a couple dozen rejections and focused on smaller places. Got an offer a couple of weeks ago from a boutique firm that I really like. The pay is far less than I want and expected, but I think I'm going to take it because the experience seems incredible.

I'm kind of disappointed but I think my expectations were a little unrealistic.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”