2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody have thoughts as to what you'd wear to a post-screener meeting with an associate that the Firm arranged because you happen to be in town?
Is it at the firm? Then absolutely a suit. You never know when one meeting turns into more meetings with people who happen to be around.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:05 pm

Have any of you had your 2L SA midlaw/biglaw firm tell you that they don't have space for you to come back after telling you that you'd be able to return (prior to clerking)? I hope my question makes sense.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody have thoughts as to what you'd wear to a post-screener meeting with an associate that the Firm arranged because you happen to be in town?
Is it at the firm? Then absolutely a suit. You never know when one meeting turns into more meetings with people who happen to be around.
Coffee shop.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've gotten nothing but quick rejections so far but I'm also a mid level D Ct clerk with unexceptional grades aka apparently unemployable or applying too early.
Mind sharing anymore? I'm a mid-level clerk as well, v50, now secondary d Ct, but secondary circuit next year. Still, getting a bit worried and our statistics are not as common. Top 1/3 or so at t10

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:42 am

AIII clerk here in a region adjacent to a semi-major market. We received a Covington solicitation letter recently for SF/Silicon Valley. Also got one from WTO in Denver. FWIW, it seems that at least some spots are potentially open.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've gotten nothing but quick rejections so far but I'm also a mid level D Ct clerk with unexceptional grades aka apparently unemployable or applying too early.
Mind sharing anymore? I'm a mid-level clerk as well, v50, now secondary d Ct, but secondary circuit next year. Still, getting a bit worried and our statistics are not as common. Top 1/3 or so at t10
[quoted poster here]

Your creds are better than mine. I'm sort of a unique case, I really only clerked to get a shot at fed gov and am now getting hiring freeze owned.

I think I'll probably still find something in my [small, insular] district.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
[quoted poster here]

Your creds are better than mine. I'm sort of a unique case, I really only clerked to get a shot at fed gov and am now getting hiring freeze owned.

I think I'll probably still find something in my [small, insular] district.
Good to hear (that you'll find something). I'm actually only clerking for the exact same reason. Could've either made non equity partner, or gone at least 5 more years before getting pushed (barring something crazy) and am now thinking the freeze might own me too, even a year from now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:28 am

I'm in the exact same boat.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:23 pm

Hogan DC ding.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:50 pm

DC firms already interviewing clerks for lit: W&C, MoloLamken, Kellogg (probably done hiring), BSF, MTO

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm vaguely terrified that this is such a struggle for everyone. Why is it so hard? Did everyone have stats that were competitive for biglaw before clerking?
I struck out at OCI, had mediocre grades, and am now 4 years out (2-year DJ clerk after working a meaningless gov't job before).

This thread has been simultaneously relieving and stressful. No one seems to be hiring for entry/junior level people based on my anecdotal research. So many friends at big law firms and not a single one has an office that is hiring anyone for this fall. At this point I'm just starting to be glad I'm not biglawcuzofdebt or bust.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:01 pm

Judge put me in touch with the managing partner of a big law office nearby. They are close friends, so I thought maybe it'd be useful. It was a talk that he started off with saying "We're not hiring, but I'd be glad to answer any questions you have" and just ended up with us shooting the shit. Really nice of the guy to take the time, but god damn it was a let down and kind of a waste of both our time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:07 am

DC Boies rejection in the mail. I would much rather have had an email. Whatever.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:DC Boies rejection in the mail. I would much rather have had an email. Whatever.
This x1000. What's the point of sending rejections through a slower and less reliable medium? Just so the recipient knows your firm can afford 25lb bond?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:DC Boies rejection in the mail. I would much rather have had an email. Whatever.
This x1000. What's the point of sending rejections through a slower and less reliable medium? Just so the recipient knows your firm can afford 25lb bond?
I mean, it's super elite paper and they cared enough about me to spend the postage and the partner took .3 seconds to sign the rejection. Must be a rich and wealthy firm and I am soooo dazzled now.

I just roll my eyes when they send these. I think this is the third paper rejection I've gotten. :x

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:16 am

Is this post-callback?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Is this post-callback?
No, just a cold application.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DC firms already interviewing clerks for lit: W&C, MoloLamken, Kellogg (probably done hiring), BSF, MTO
Kellogg isn't done hiring (or they just like interviewing several people for the fun of it).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:DC firms already interviewing clerks for lit: W&C, MoloLamken, Kellogg (probably done hiring), BSF, MTO
Kellogg isn't done hiring (or they just like interviewing several people for the fun of it).
Does anyone know KVN's clerkship bonus?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Does anyone know KVN's clerkship bonus?
I heard it was $175k. :shock:

(Edit: OOPS. My apologies. I heard this about Kellogg. Sorry!)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm vaguely terrified that this is such a struggle for everyone. Why is it so hard? Did everyone have stats that were competitive for biglaw before clerking?
I struck out at OCI, had mediocre grades, and am now 4 years out (2-year DJ clerk after working a meaningless gov't job before).

This thread has been simultaneously relieving and stressful. No one seems to be hiring for entry/junior level people based on my anecdotal research. So many friends at big law firms and not a single one has an office that is hiring anyone for this fall. At this point I'm just starting to be glad I'm not biglawcuzofdebt or bust.
biglawcuzofdebt right here, and very worried.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Is this post-callback?
No, just a cold application.
Williams & Connolly did this too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:44 pm

Any more DC movement? I'm reaching the deadline of having to accept an offer in a market I'd rather not be in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:56 pm

I received an offer last December from my SA firm to go back. They didn't give me a deadline to respond but out of courtesy, I do want to let them know soon. The problem is, I interviewed at another firm about 3 weeks ago and still have not heard a peep. Should I reach out and ask this second firm if they've reached a decision? I don't want to prod them into rejecting me, as they are my first choice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I received an offer last December from my SA firm to go back. They didn't give me a deadline to respond but out of courtesy, I do want to let them know soon. The problem is, I interviewed at another firm about 3 weeks ago and still have not heard a peep. Should I reach out and ask this second firm if they've reached a decision? I don't want to prod them into rejecting me, as they are my first choice.
I would say ask, but every time I've pressed and indicated that a firm is my first preference, I've gotten a rejection. I don't know if it is because I pressed or if that's just what was planned anyway? That's not very helpful, I know.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”