2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:59 am

I targeted DC firms last year and had a lot of success. All of my apps were sent by the second week of January. By early Feb, I had an offer from the firm I ultimately accepted. This is all obviously anecdotal, but my advice would be to apply early-mid January.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I targeted DC firms last year and had a lot of success. All of my apps were sent by the second week of January. By early Feb, I had an offer from the firm I ultimately accepted. This is all obviously anecdotal, but my advice would be to apply early-mid January.

Did you send in your applications to the firms' recruiters via email/apply through websites, or did you go about it differently?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:16 am

Applying for clerkships is giving me a terrible frame of reference for applying for firms--I applied for at least 40 during 2L. I have no idea how many firms to apply to. I didn't do a 2L SA. I'm middle of the road (maybe slightly below median but they don't tell us) YHS doing a District Clerkship. I've applied for half a dozen so far, but is this the kind of thing where I should be thinking about applying for 20+?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Applying for clerkships is giving me a terrible frame of reference for applying for firms--I applied for at least 40 during 2L. I have no idea how many firms to apply to. I didn't do a 2L SA. I'm middle of the road (maybe slightly below median but they don't tell us) YHS doing a District Clerkship. I've applied for half a dozen so far, but is this the kind of thing where I should be thinking about applying for 20+?
I think the best way to do it, and the way I am planning on doing it, is in waves. I'm ranking the firms I'd want to work at most, on a three tier system. Then I'm going to apply to the firms I'd most want to work at first (my own tier one ranking), then wait a few weeks and move on to my second tiered ranking, and then third. Might be a silly approach, but in my mind, I don't want to get myself into a position where I "settle" for a firm, simply because they moved faster, when I could have gone to a firm that would have been a better fit for me.

I approached applying for my clerkship in a similar manner, and it seemed to work out well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Applying for clerkships is giving me a terrible frame of reference for applying for firms--I applied for at least 40 during 2L. I have no idea how many firms to apply to. I didn't do a 2L SA. I'm middle of the road (maybe slightly below median but they don't tell us) YHS doing a District Clerkship. I've applied for half a dozen so far, but is this the kind of thing where I should be thinking about applying for 20+?
I think the best way to do it, and the way I am planning on doing it, is in waves. I'm ranking the firms I'd want to work at most, on a three tier system. Then I'm going to apply to the firms I'd most want to work at first (my own tier one ranking), then wait a few weeks and move on to my second tiered ranking, and then third. Might be a silly approach, but in my mind, I don't want to get myself into a position where I "settle" for a firm, simply because they moved faster, when I could have gone to a firm that would have been a better fit for me.

I approached applying for my clerkship in a similar manner, and it seemed to work out well.
That sounds reasonable. I'm planning to do something similar, but with geographical preferences. About how big are your waves?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That sounds reasonable. I'm planning to do something similar, but with geographical preferences. About how big are your waves?
Still compiling the list. First two waves are only a handful each (probably about 3-4 each). Third wave is when I start to get desperate and apply to an additional 20 or so, if it comes to that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Still compiling the list. First two waves are only a handful each (probably about 3-4 each). Third wave is when I start to get desperate and apply to an additional 20 or so, if it comes to that.
Glad to know you're on a similar page. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:55 pm

I did 25 screeners for EIW alone. 20-30 total sounds low to me but admittedly I haven't completed post-clerkship hiring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:43 am

"EIW"?

I will also be sending out applications in waves. Is the consensus that now is the time to apply in DC? Anyone in the DC courthouse want to share what firms have sent solicitation letters? We just got one from WheelerTriggO'Donell in Denver.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:"EIW"?

I will also be sending out applications in waves. Is the consensus that now is the time to apply in DC? Anyone in the DC courthouse want to share what firms have sent solicitation letters? We just got one from WheelerTriggO'Donell in Denver.
8th Circuit also just got those. I'm sure they sent them to all of us. We also got one from a New York firm, Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:"EIW"?

8th Circuit also just got those. I'm sure they sent them to all of us. We also got one from a New York firm, Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:59 am

FWIW- A friend said Covington hiring may be low this year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:48 pm

I will be starting a one-year Federal Circuit clerkship in February. When should I start applying to firms? I'm worried I'll be overlooked because of the weird timing of my clerkship. I assume some patent lit group would pick me up somewhere, but I have a few firms at the top of my list that seem to be moving now. Is there a rolling hiring process to some extent at biglaw firms?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FWIW- A friend said Covington hiring may be low this year.
DJ clerk here. I actually applied to Covington DC last week (via cold email to the recruiter) and got a rejection email this week.

Our chambers got a Wheeler solicitation letter as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
DJ clerk here. I actually applied to Covington DC last week (via cold email to the recruiter) and got a rejection email this week.

Did it seem like a generic rejection, as in they're not hiring? Or just didn't have space in a particular practice group?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did it seem like a generic rejection, as in they're not hiring? Or just didn't have space in a particular practice group?
Different anon. I have an interview set up with Covington DC in the next few weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It was definitely a generic rejection.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:42 pm

District court clerk here. Recently received a generic email ding from Skadden DC. Applied a few days before Christmas.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:District court clerk here. Recently received a generic email ding from Skadden DC. Applied a few days before Christmas.
Dang. I wonder if everyone hired way earlier this year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:41 pm

District court clerk. Generic Latham ding just now. Applied two days ago. Swift and brutal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:43 pm

This is actually useful. Might be worthwhile to know who isnt hiring.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is actually useful. Might be worthwhile to know who isnt hiring.
I'll keep posting my rejections, and will greedily read any info.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:District court clerk. Generic Latham ding just now. Applied two days ago. Swift and brutal.
Did you apply for one of the open positions listed on the site, or did you email your stuff to the recruiter? I was planning on applying, but I don't really meet any of the listed open positions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:District court clerk. Generic Latham ding just now. Applied two days ago. Swift and brutal.
Did you apply for one of the open positions listed on the site, or did you email your stuff to the recruiter? I was planning on applying, but I don't really meet any of the listed open positions.
I cold emailed the recruiter. The response was a "Upon careful review" blah blah kind.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:08 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From what I can gather, most of the top-flight lit boutiques are moving at this point.
What's the basis for this? And what do you mean by "moving?" Interviews?
Scheduling interviews, making offers.
FYI, I know people who have interviewed at: Kellogg Huber, Munger Tolles, Williams and Connolly, Quinn, and Susman Godfrey. And all of those, I think, were well before Christmas and most before Thanksgiving. (So basically, if you applied to those firms a while ago and haven't heard back that's probably bad news.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”