2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:22 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've been handling the limbo pretty well, but today may be my breaking point. This was supposed to be the easy part of clerking. Welp.
Seriously. I just can't believe how bad the litigation market is. Is anybody else having better luck that doesn't have obscene credentials?
I really thought HYS + decent lit summer and clinic experience + clerkship would be a golden ticket. Newp.
I don't mean this as criticism at all, but I think there aren't a lot of consistent rules about post-clerkship hiring, and it's still much too early to worry. Timelines are all over the place - it's not like OCI. I get that it's agonizing, but try not to despair yet.
I don't see it as criticism at all. Thank you! It's just a new experience, and the rejections are tedious. Always helpful to get feedback from people who aren't currently mired in it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do firms ever call to reject? Or would that generally be done over email or letter?
Almost never.
Yes, so if a firm's number shows up on your phone, it's almost always good news!
OP. Just checked voicemail. Rejection. UGH. So awkward, and now I know to always let it go to voicemail.
I'm sorry. That is terribly awkward. I had assumed that people never like to give bad news over the phone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:58 pm

For some reason, our 10th Circuit chambers hasn't received the Wheeler Trigg solicitation that (seemingly) everyone got. Would anyone mind sharing how they suggested applying? Their online system is pretty annoying to deal with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For some reason, our 10th Circuit chambers hasn't received the Wheeler Trigg solicitation that (seemingly) everyone got. Would anyone mind sharing how they suggested applying? Their online system is pretty annoying to deal with.
I believe it was just an email to their recruiter. The interviews have already been taking place.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For some reason, our 10th Circuit chambers hasn't received the Wheeler Trigg solicitation that (seemingly) everyone got. Would anyone mind sharing how they suggested applying? Their online system is pretty annoying to deal with.
I believe it was just an email to their recruiter. The interviews have already been taking place.
Yeah, I had a screener that didn't go well. Assuming a ding is pending.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:23 pm

Barely holding it together at work. Got a rejection over lunch from my top choice firm, post-interview. I need to pull it together and revamp my strategy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry to hear that.

Approximately when was your screener, if I may ask?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Barely holding it together at work. Got a rejection over lunch from my top choice firm, post-interview. I need to pull it together and revamp my strategy.
This happened to me yesterday. I know those feels. For a few minutes, I seriously contemplated buying a house in the country and tapping out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks. Hopefully I haven't missed the boat.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:28 pm

It doesn't say exactly. It has the partner's email address at the top of the letter, but otherwise it just directs you to their website. It's a three page letter that is more or less a glorified sales pitch for the firm, talking about the benefits of going there. If you're interested, PM me with your contact info and I can send you a copy of it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:32 pm

clerk1251 wrote:
It doesn't say exactly. It has the partner's email address at the top of the letter, but otherwise it just directs you to their website. It's a three page letter that is more or less a glorified sales pitch for the firm, talking about the benefits of going there. If you're interested, PM me with your contact info and I can send you a copy of it.
Thanks. PM'd.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry to hear that.

More than a month ago. Anybody had a callback with them yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Barely holding it together at work. Got a rejection over lunch from my top choice firm, post-interview. I need to pull it together and revamp my strategy.
This happened to me yesterday. I know those feels. For a few minutes, I seriously contemplated buying a house in the country and tapping out.
+1. This thread is like a support group.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry to hear that.

More than a month ago. Anybody had a callback with them yet?
Can confirm that callbacks have happened.
(Editing to say that there may well be more coming, I have no idea.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
+1. This thread is like a support group.
I'd be losing it even more if I thought I was the only one getting these rejections. Seriously grateful for you all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:16 pm

Clerking for a circuit judge, and just checking in to say that the struggle is real. Numerous call-back rejections and a lot of silence. Makes it really hard to buckle down and focus on work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Clerking for a circuit judge, and just checking in to say that the struggle is real. Numerous call-back rejections and a lot of silence. Makes it really hard to buckle down and focus on work.
Mind sharing as many specifics as you're willing about the callbacks that you've gotten?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Clerking for a circuit judge, and just checking in to say that the struggle is real. Numerous call-back rejections and a lot of silence. Makes it really hard to buckle down and focus on work.
Mind sharing as many specifics as you're willing about the callbacks that you've gotten?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:56 pm

I'm vaguely terrified that this is such a struggle for everyone. Why is it so hard? Did everyone have stats that were competitive for biglaw before clerking?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm vaguely terrified that this is such a struggle for everyone. Why is it so hard? Did everyone have stats that were competitive for biglaw before clerking?
I had decent stats, but I didn't do a SA by choice. I was median-ish at HYS. The silence has been frustrating, but people keep saying that it's just a sluggish month, so hopefully that's it?

I've had six callbacks, three rejections, and one non-market offer.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm vaguely terrified that this is such a struggle for everyone. Why is it so hard? Did everyone have stats that were competitive for biglaw before clerking?
This is what I am most confused about. Don't most of us have offers already from 2L SAs?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This is what I am most confused about. Don't most of us have offers already from 2L SAs?
(Commenter with multiple callbacks above) I did a public interest 2L summer. I suspect that's what's holding me back from final offers. The firms seem to doubt my sincerity.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Five interviews thus far, mostly in dc. 2 boutiques and 3 biglaw. I have just about saturated that market with applications. Thus far gotten rejected from the boutiques and one of the biglaw firms. Still waiting on the other two (although it's been several weeks). I have been surprised by how few responses I have gotten--especially from what one would consider the more dc centric firms. Don't know if that means that these firms haven't started moving, don't plan on hiring, or are looking for someone with stronger credentials.

Also not sure whether my experience is indicative of poor interviewing skills (didn't exactly light the world on fire during OGI) or a less than robust litigation market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:57 pm

I've gotten nothing but quick rejections so far but I'm also a mid level D Ct clerk with unexceptional grades aka apparently unemployable or applying too early.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:30 pm

Anybody have thoughts as to what you'd wear to a post-screener meeting with an associate that the Firm arranged because you happen to be in town?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”