2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, can we all hope that hiring is just *now* beginning to amp up? It's later than other years, but still maybe?
Not in DC. Almost all Big Law has already interviewed or rejected clerk candidates.
What about NY? Or secondary markets?
NYC clerk hiring seems to turn most on your prior relationship with the firm in terms of summer, connection, etc. There just are not many firms looking to hire litigators in NYC right now.
Perhaps this is true on a broad level but as an SDNY/EDNY/COA 2 clerk, my chambers (as well as the chambers of other clerks in my courthouse) have been flooded with firm reception invites since January. This is just a sampling of the firms that have reached out:

Patterson Belknap
Jenner & Block
Gibson Dunn
Cleary
Morvillo
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer
Goodwin Procter
Kirkland
Quinn Emmanuel
Kramer Levin

Now whether you actually want to work at some of these firms is one thing but I don't think it's completely accurate to say that NYC firms just aren't looking for litigators or that post-clerkship hiring turns exclusively on prior connections.
Right, there have been those recruitment events. But I know a couple places on that list who will not be hiring any post-clerkship lit associates in NYC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:47 pm

Chambers just got a letter from Susman, which is looking for post clerks in Houston, LA, NY, and Seattle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Chambers just got a letter from Susman, which is looking for post clerks in Houston, LA, NY, and Seattle.
That's great, but Susman will probably hire 1 person in NYC and that person will be HYS magna with Rakoff/Katzmann

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, can we all hope that hiring is just *now* beginning to amp up? It's later than other years, but still maybe?
Not in DC. Almost all Big Law has already interviewed or rejected clerk candidates.
What about NY? Or secondary markets?
NYC clerk hiring seems to turn most on your prior relationship with the firm in terms of summer, connection, etc. There just are not many firms looking to hire litigators in NYC right now.
Perhaps this is true on a broad level but as an SDNY/EDNY/COA 2 clerk, my chambers (as well as the chambers of other clerks in my courthouse) have been flooded with firm reception invites since January. This is just a sampling of the firms that have reached out:

Patterson Belknap
Jenner & Block
Gibson Dunn
Cleary
Morvillo
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer
Goodwin Procter
Kirkland
Quinn Emmanuel
Kramer Levin

Now whether you actually want to work at some of these firms is one thing but I don't think it's completely accurate to say that NYC firms just aren't looking for litigators or that post-clerkship hiring turns exclusively on prior connections.
Right, there have been those recruitment events. But I know a couple places on that list who will not be hiring any post-clerkship lit associates in NYC.
Fair point. I'm not really in the loop enough - which of these firms aren't doing any post-clerkship hiring? It seems weird to hold a clerkship reception and then not hire even one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word from Sidley or Quinn DC?
Silence for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any word from Sidley or Quinn DC?
Silence for me.
Quinn mailed me a quasi rejection (invited me to apply later) letter in January, and silence from Sidley.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:25 pm

I am applying to everything my ego will let me apply to at this point (reputable firms) in the one major city I'm forced to target for because personal reasons. I'm having no luck. Starting to feel like shit. God damn I hate job searching.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am applying to everything my ego will let me apply to at this point (reputable firms) in the one major city I'm forced to target for because personal reasons. I'm having no luck. Starting to feel like shit. God damn I hate job searching.
Right there with you. I KNOW I shouldn't feel embarrassed about the process, but sheesh.

Not sure when I need to beg the judge for help.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I looked through the thread and didn't see anything about this, so how are clerks in flyover districts doing with finding work in a major market? Specifically places like NYC/DC/Chi/LA. Seems as though hiring is down this year for DC firms.
I am in a flyover district with excellent (though not HYS magna excellent) credentials. I got two interviews from major markets.
Thanks. Have a clerkship lined up next year in a flyover and have top grades at a T2, but I plan on going for another clerkship in 2018. Wanted to know what my prospects at major market firms were in case I can't get another clerkship or strike out in fed government

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:12 pm

Based on this thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=272312

It seems like the advice in here that Hueston Hennigan wasn't hiring is wrong

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am applying to everything my ego will let me apply to at this point (reputable firms) in the one major city I'm forced to target for because personal reasons. I'm having no luck. Starting to feel like shit. God damn I hate job searching.
Right there with you. I KNOW I shouldn't feel embarrassed about the process, but sheesh.

I haven't had a serious job search in 4 years, but this is bringing back those feelings of complete dread I felt as I began 3L year without a job lined up. I'm mostly just frustrated because of the (apparently bogus) common wisdom that "clerking opens up 100000000 doors! Everyone will want to hire you!"

I'm giving myself at least a month before I beg the judge, who's already been really helpful and offered to help as much as possible.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I haven't had a serious job search in 4 years, but this is bringing back those feelings of complete dread I felt as I began 3L year without a job lined up. I'm mostly just frustrated because of the (apparently bogus) common wisdom that "clerking opens up 100000000 doors! Everyone will want to hire you!"

I'm giving myself at least a month before I beg the judge, who's already been really helpful and offered to help as much as possible.
You've been clerking for 3-4 years?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Based on this thread:

The conversation in that thread predates the advice that they aren't hiring given here. Plus, if you scroll down that thread, you'll see someone commented that they are no longer hiring, as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:21 am

This is the story of my life, except I've started applying to all the major markets out of desperation. I really hope I don't have to take another bar, but I guess, I'd rather take another bar than not have a job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody have experience negotiating clerkship bonuses as an alum clerk?
Yup. Major DC firm and was basically told "Yeah...it's a standard offer we do and we don't negotiate. But, good try and we like your attitude of trying it to see if it would work."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:35 pm

CA2/9/DC clerk dinged at each of Wilmer, A&P, Covington DC

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CA2/9/DC clerk dinged at each of Wilmer, A&P, Covington DC
Mind providing your general stats (that is, school rank and class rank)? Current D. Ct. clerk here, clerking on 2/9/DC next year and looking at similar firms.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:06 pm

Flyover district clerk dinged after interview at A&P.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:46 pm

Not much movement this week, I'm guessing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not much movement this week, I'm guessing.
Actually, things are picking up in DC. Interviews or invites with 4 big law firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

The conversation in that thread predates the advice that they aren't hiring given here. Plus, if you scroll down that thread, you'll see someone commented that they are no longer hiring, as well.
I hate to keep repeating this, but HH is hiring. If someone here told an applicant we weren't, then they were wrong.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I hate to keep repeating this, but HH is hiring. If someone here told an applicant we weren't, then they were wrong.
Any idea what the HH clerkship bonus is?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not much movement this week, I'm guessing.
Actually, things are picking up in DC. Interviews or invites with 4 big law firms.
Good to know! Are the emails from them recent?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Any idea what the HH clerkship bonus is?
50K. End of year bonus for first years was 54-90k; second years between 75-95k.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
50K. End of year bonus for first years was 54-90k; second years between 75-95k.
And post-clerks count as second years, right?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”