2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:30 pm

Is the struggle to find post-clerkship position after district court clerkship applicable to competitive clerkships like SDNY/EDNY/DDC as well? Or are clerks from those districts not having much problem at all?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:27 pm

Is the struggle to find post-clerkship position after district court clerkship applicable to competitive clerkships like SDNY/EDNY/DDC as well? Or are clerks from those districts not having much problem at all?
This applies to competitive districts as well, such as the one I'm in. I've had 2 interviews at litigation shops (albeit elite ones) and gotten dinged at both places. I did pretty well at OCI, so I have to think it's not some fatal personality flaw that explains why getting an actual offer has been more difficult.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This applies to competitive districts as well, such as the one I'm in. I've had 2 interviews at litigation shops (albeit elite ones) and gotten dinged at both places. I did pretty well at OCI, so I have to think it's not some fatal personality flaw that explains why getting an actual offer has been more difficult.
What are your stats, if you don't mind my asking? Are you applying in the same location as your clerkship?

blahblewblah

New

Post by blahblewblah » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Getting dinged from 2 elite litigation shops coming out of a D ct clerkship is not struggling to find a job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What are your stats, if you don't mind my asking? Are you applying in the same location as your clerkship?
I'd also like to know stats. I'm clerking on one of the aforementioned districts and all of the people I know also clerking there did not have any trouble landing jobs this past year. Granted, they had the usual SDNY/EDNY/DDC stats.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:08 pm

blahblewblah wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Getting dinged from 2 elite litigation shops coming out of a D ct clerkship is not struggling to find a job.
He's still equally without a job as if he got dinged at two shitlaw firms though (saying this as a clerk dinged at two V-10 firms).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:22 pm

From what I can tell, I think there's truth to the rumblings about a tightened job market this year. I know a handful of people who are clerking on SDNY/DDC/ND Cal-level D. Ct.'s. They all had the credentials for biglaw, but each thought they'd be able to trade up to a better firm/lit boutique. Most struck out, so they're all returning to their former firms. That's not a total defeat--they've all got jobs, obviously--but most of the older clerks from their chambers were surprised that they didn't have better luck.

I think it's just the way the hiring market is right now. If people with legit credentials can't trade up from the top-shelf clerkships, it makes sense that people who were borderline for biglaw in the first place aren't getting the bump they'd expected from a D. Ct. clerkship.

But assuming that's true, it doesn't really help people going into clerkships/thinking about clerking. There's still a question of whether it's a temporary thing, or if it's how the post-clerkship job hunt is going to be from now on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From what I can tell, I think there's truth to the rumblings about a tightened job market this year. I know a handful of people who are clerking on SDNY/DDC/ND Cal-level D. Ct.'s. They all had the credentials for biglaw, but each thought they'd be able to trade up to a better firm/lit boutique. Most struck out, so they're all returning to their former firms. That's not a total defeat--they've all got jobs, obviously--but most of the older clerks from their chambers were surprised that they didn't have better luck.

I think it's just the way the hiring market is right now. If people with legit credentials can't trade up from the top-shelf clerkships, it makes sense that people who were borderline for biglaw in the first place aren't getting the bump they'd expected from a D. Ct. clerkship.

But assuming that's true, it doesn't really help people going into clerkships/thinking about clerking. There's still a question of whether it's a temporary thing, or if it's how the post-clerkship job hunt is going to be from now on.
The state of gov't hiring/gov't generally right now probably contributes -- fewer people going into top gov't jobs means more people competing for biglaw. For instance, all but one of the 30 some-odd SCOTUS clerks finishing up this term are going to firms, which as far as I understand is unusual.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
blahblewblah wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
He's still equally without a job as if he got dinged at two shitlaw firms though (saying this as a clerk dinged at two V-10 firms).
Eh, it's too early to say that, if this person has been focusing exclusively on elite litigation shops.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From what I can tell, I think there's truth to the rumblings about a tightened job market this year. I know a handful of people who are clerking on SDNY/DDC/ND Cal-level D. Ct.'s. They all had the credentials for biglaw, but each thought they'd be able to trade up to a better firm/lit boutique. Most struck out, so they're all returning to their former firms. That's not a total defeat--they've all got jobs, obviously--but most of the older clerks from their chambers were surprised that they didn't have better luck.

The state of gov't hiring/gov't generally right now probably contributes -- fewer people going into top gov't jobs means more people competing for biglaw. For instance, all but one of the 30 some-odd SCOTUS clerks finishing up this term are going to firms, which as far as I understand is unusual.
I think this is exactly right. I think this year is a bit more atypical than usual.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:11 am

What are your stats, if you don't mind my asking?
I'd also like to know stats.
I have to be careful not to out myself, so I'll be somewhat vague. District court clerk in competitive district (think D.Mass., N.D. Cal., etc.) applying to clerkship home market. Top 10-20% at CCN, Exec. board of secondary journal, multiple publications, worked in Biglaw for a year before clerking.

elizathornberry

New

Post by elizathornberry » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:28 pm

I've been applying to private practice jobs (mostly big law) in D.C. since January and thus far have had two in-office interviews and one phone interview with no offers. Decided last week it was time to broaden the search and applied in my home district (West Coast) and already have two interview scheduled with national firms. Just another data point for those looking in the District--it's tough out there, but other markets are willing to hire.

elizathornberry

New

Post by elizathornberry » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:41 pm

elizathornberry wrote:I've been applying to private practice jobs (mostly big law) in D.C. since January and thus far have had two in-office interviews and one phone interview with no offers. Decided last week it was time to broaden the search and applied in my home district (West Coast) and already have two interview scheduled with national firms. Just another data point for those looking in the District--it's tough out there, but other markets are willing to hire.
To clarify--when I said "home market," I meant the city in which I'm currently clerking.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:23 pm

How is the hiring market for those coming off COA? Just as tight as District courts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How is the hiring market for those coming off COA? Just as tight as District courts?
Just to give a datapoint: flyover district court clerkship and non-feeder 2/9/DC COA clerkship, recently accepted "elite" litigation boutique.

gchatbrah

Bronze

Post by gchatbrah » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:56 pm

Met a hiring partner from Covington at an LA-area networking event. He let slip after a couple martinis that Covington LA was prepared to pony up for talent to the tune of $200K for non-2/9/DC clerkships. Something about adding to the diversity of the brochure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How is the hiring market for those coming off COA? Just as tight as District courts?
Just to give a datapoint: flyover district court clerkship and non-feeder 2/9/DC COA clerkship, recently accepted "elite" litigation boutique.
Helpful, thanks! And congrats!

Other data points welcome.

Is the LA anecdote below true or a joke, can't tell.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is the LA anecdote below true or a joke, can't tell.
They're trolling, you can ignore.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:28 pm

At what point should I just accept a shitlaw position until a biglaw position opens up? I still have a lot of irons in the fire but I doubt an offer is going to come to fruition until September or October and I will be done clerking in a month. I have a shitlaw offer right now. Considering working it for a few months, not putting it on my resume, and taking a better offer when it comes. Dick move but times are tough.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:08 pm

There's hope after all! I just received an offer from a niche boutique firm that is right up my alley, and I believe I may be about to receive another offer from a big law firm in the Chicago market. My clerkship ended last month. If you haven't gotten anything, hang in there. Things are moving at a glacial pace, but they are moving.

sethhockey

New

Post by sethhockey » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:12 pm

chipperjones wrote:
Did a first round interview with them this hiring cycle, and was not asked to continue with the process, but have since accepted at a major DC firm. Compensation was market, as were bonuses, although someone mentioned there was something about bonuses being paid in two portions and some predetermined amount going into a 401k (but I could be misremembering here). The interview process requires you to meet with every attorney who works at the firm across all three offices. They do this usually via video conference from the office where you are applying to work. To accommodate the sheer volume of interviewing this requires, most of my interviews were 2-on-1. If you clear the interview request hurdle, it's pretty clear that your credentials are fine; you just have to get along with 40 people and mesh with them and their culture. Otherwise it's a bad fit for you and for them.

If it turns into more than a promising contact, I can PM with more details.
Thanks for the info. Could you PM me?
Can you PM me as well? Looking for any info possible - really appreciate it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:12 pm

sethhockey wrote:
chipperjones wrote:
Did a first round interview with them this hiring cycle, and was not asked to continue with the process, but have since accepted at a major DC firm. Compensation was market, as were bonuses, although someone mentioned there was something about bonuses being paid in two portions and some predetermined amount going into a 401k (but I could be misremembering here). The interview process requires you to meet with every attorney who works at the firm across all three offices. They do this usually via video conference from the office where you are applying to work. To accommodate the sheer volume of interviewing this requires, most of my interviews were 2-on-1. If you clear the interview request hurdle, it's pretty clear that your credentials are fine; you just have to get along with 40 people and mesh with them and their culture. Otherwise it's a bad fit for you and for them.

If it turns into more than a promising contact, I can PM with more details.
Thanks for the info. Could you PM me?
Can you PM me as well? Looking for any info possible - really appreciate it.
The above is roughly accurate. Will add that last couple of years total compensation has been slightly above Cravath (by 10-15k, nothing huge), but always backloaded (lower base, higher bonus).

shantideva

New

Post by shantideva » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:51 pm

I'm currently clerking until August. I got an offer, but it's for a one year (renewable for two more terms) position in a state across the country that I have no interest in staying long term. I'm also under consideration for positions in the state I really want to be in. Should I take the offer and run or hold out for what I really want?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”