2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:29 pm

I'm applying to mostly non-feeders and I don't think the ones with postings already are any more competitive than other non-feeders. Maybe I am mistaken.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:13 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:The feeders have already hired for 2019-20.
This is not quite right. It's true that some feeders (e.g. Garland, Millett, Watford) are done for 2019-20. Some feeders (e.g. Kavanaugh, Srinivasan) are interviewing/have hired some clerks but are not full and are still taking apps. There are even some feeders (e.g. the Rakoff/Katzmann duo, Tatel) who still want 1.5 years of grades. If you want a feeder for 2019-20 and have the profile, apply ASAP, but a feeder for 2019-20 is still possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This is not quite right. It's true that some feeders (e.g. Garland, Millett, Watford) are done for 2019-20. Some feeders (e.g. Kavanaugh, Srinivasan) are interviewing/have hired some clerks but are not full and are still taking apps. There are even some feeders (e.g. the Rakoff/Katzmann duo, Tatel) who still want 1.5 years of grades. If you want a feeder for 2019-20 and have the profile, apply ASAP, but a feeder for 2019-20 is still possible.
Is it accurate to call Millett a feeder? She's only fed one clerk so far, to Stevens for OT 2016.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Is it accurate to call Millett a feeder? She's only fed one clerk so far, to Stevens for OT 2016.
I thought she'd fed more when I wrote that post. I probably confused her with Pillard (who is not yet done for 2019). I'm guessing that Millett will feed more in the future though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
It's true that Katzmann still wants 1.5 years of grades. I am nearly certain that it is not true that he has openings for 2019.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Garland isn't full, per OSCAR?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It's true that Katzmann still wants 1.5 years of grades. I am nearly certain that it is not true that he has openings for 2019.
No, he is full for 2019 (and I think Tatel may be too). Just using them as counterexamples to the assertion that all feeders now rush to hire rising 2Ls in June. I was a bit unclear, sorry.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I thought she'd fed more when I wrote that post. I probably confused her with Pillard (who is not yet done for 2019). I'm guessing that Millett will feed more in the future though.
I'm guessing she will too. Either way, she's a heck of a judge and would be a very cool clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:51 am

Oetken's full.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The_Lorax

Bronze

Post by The_Lorax » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:09 am

Williams (7th cir) is filled

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:15 pm

The_Lorax wrote:Williams (7th cir) is filled
I think she retired...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:28 pm

Ellison (SDTX) done, albeit with an incredibly kind email inviting unsuccessful applicants to chambers for snacks(!)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:40 am

Any movement?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:35 am

Sutton, Harris are full. Oetken, Nathan, Brinkema are full. Wood is full.

Srinivasan is not although he tends to wait and see and fill later than the other feeders. Garland not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sutton, Harris are full. Oetken, Nathan, Brinkema are full. Wood is full.

Srinivasan is not although he tends to wait and see and fill later than the other feeders. Garland not.
Is this all just based on OSCAR? My impression was that Garland filled up awhile ago but just hasn't updated his OSCAR profile yet. As for Oetken and Nathan, does anyone know if they're actively hiring for 2020-2021, or are they just preemptively updating OSCAR? Nathan claims to only take one clerk directly from law school a year, so it would make sense if she was actually looking at other rising 2Ls now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:12 am

The 9th Circuit liberal feeders (Reinhardt, Fletcher) and young semi-feeders/future feeders (Watford, Friedland, Owens) are also done.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:42 am

Rising 2L at CCN, top 10%ish with solid recs and other credentials. I sent a good number of applications out and haven't heard anything except a small handful of polite rejections from feeders (for a hot minute as spring grades were trickling out it like I could have been a contender) and judges who weren't actually hiring. I'm very much hoping that a decent number of the non-feeders who are interested in hiring on 1L grades alone are waiting for the most competitive positions to shake out and then will get more aggressive about interviewing and hiring. But I don't have a lot of facts to back that hope, only the general advice from the clerkship office and this thread that every judge does this differently and that it's hard to predict. so who knows, but I too am hearing silence and trying not to impose too much meaning on it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sutton, Harris are full. Oetken, Nathan, Brinkema are full. Wood is full.

Is this all just based on OSCAR? My impression was that Garland filled up awhile ago but just hasn't updated his OSCAR profile yet. As for Oetken and Nathan, does anyone know if they're actively hiring for 2020-2021, or are they just preemptively updating OSCAR? Nathan claims to only take one clerk directly from law school a year, so it would make sense if she was actually looking at other rising 2Ls now.
That may be true of Garland - I hadn't heard that but wouldn't be surprised. It's true of Sutton, for instance.

Oetken and Nathan had 20-21 up as early as they had 19-20 up, don't know if they're hiring but it's not like they put them up after they filled for 19-20.
Anonymous User wrote:Rising 2L at CCN, top 10%ish with solid recs and other credentials. I sent a good number of applications out and haven't heard anything except a small handful of polite rejections from feeders (for a hot minute as spring grades were trickling out it like I could have been a contender) and judges who weren't actually hiring. I'm very much hoping that a decent number of the non-feeders who are interested in hiring on 1L grades alone are waiting for the most competitive positions to shake out and then will get more aggressive about interviewing and hiring. But I don't have a lot of facts to back that hope, only the general advice from the clerkship office and this thread that every judge does this differently and that it's hard to predict. so who knows, but I too am hearing silence and trying not to impose too much meaning on it.
Yeah I'm top 5 at MVPD, great recs, just got LR, some other good softs, and I've heard jack shit other than a few polite rejections.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:56 am

How many apps have people sent out, generally?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Rising 2L at CCN, top 10%ish with solid recs and other credentials. I sent a good number of applications out and haven't heard anything except a small handful of polite rejections from feeders (for a hot minute as spring grades were trickling out it like I could have been a contender) and judges who weren't actually hiring. I'm very much hoping that a decent number of the non-feeders who are interested in hiring on 1L grades alone are waiting for the most competitive positions to shake out and then will get more aggressive about interviewing and hiring. But I don't have a lot of facts to back that hope, only the general advice from the clerkship office and this thread that every judge does this differently and that it's hard to predict. so who knows, but I too am hearing silence and trying not to impose too much meaning on it.
I have the exact same stats as you, but haven't even received polite rejections -- just radio silence. Then again, I was a little on the late end for sending out apps to feeders, so who knows (and I'm also aware that even top 5-10% at CCN is a reach for most if not all of them). Clerkship office has said not to read into it, but also that the summer cycle is such a crapshoot and random schedule that it's hard to know exactly where judges are in the hiring process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That may be true of Garland - I hadn't heard that but wouldn't be surprised. It's true of Sutton, for instance.

Oetken and Nathan had 20-21 up as early as they had 19-20 up, don't know if they're hiring but it's not like they put them up after they filled for 19-20.
Yeah I'm top 5 at MVPD, great recs, just got LR, some other good softs, and I've heard jack shit other than a few polite rejections.
Gotcha -- I didn't notice that Nathan/Oetken had posted 2020-2021 from the beginning. And while still frustrating about radio silence, it's nice to at least know that others are in the same boat.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:15 pm

Same boat as well. Top 5% at MVP, unfortunately no LR but secondary journal, solid and polished writing sample from my summer job, and strong letters of rec. I'm willing to clerk anywhere, so I've sent apps to every CoA judge (and I really mean every judge, senior or otherwise) that is currently accepting applications. I called the chambers of all the CoA judges that don't use OSCAR and sent paper apps to all the ones that said they were accepting for 2019-2020. All told I've sent probably 75 apps at this point and am continuing to apply as judges post on OSCAR.

I have had two chambers acknowledge that they've received my app and say they'd "be in further contact" whatever that means. Other than that all I've gotten is a ding email from Judge Wood on CA7.

My school provides a database with feedback from people who have interviewed with judges in the past. There is only one entry for a 2019-2020 clerkship on there so far, and the interview (and offer) were extended last week.

Based on that and based on the responses I've gotten from some chambers, it is still very early in the season. A lot of the feeders are done, but there are still plenty of CoA clerkships to go around. I wouldn't be discouraged by the radio silence. This is a long and brutal process, but I've never heard someone say it wasn't worth it in the end.

Happy Hunting!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Same boat as well. Top 5% at MVP, unfortunately no LR but secondary journal, solid and polished writing sample from my summer job, and strong letters of rec. I'm willing to clerk anywhere, so I've sent apps to every CoA judge (and I really mean every judge, senior or otherwise) that is currently accepting applications. I called the chambers of all the CoA judges that don't use OSCAR and sent paper apps to all the ones that said they were accepting for 2019-2020. All told I've sent probably 75 apps at this point and am continuing to apply as judges post on OSCAR.

I have had two chambers acknowledge that they've received my app and say they'd "be in further contact" whatever that means. Other than that all I've gotten is a ding email from Judge Wood on CA7.

My school provides a database with feedback from people who have interviewed with judges in the past. There is only one entry for a 2019-2020 clerkship on there so far, and the interview (and offer) were extended last week.

Based on that and based on the responses I've gotten from some chambers, it is still very early in the season. A lot of the feeders are done, but there are still plenty of CoA clerkships to go around. I wouldn't be discouraged by the radio silence. This is a long and brutal process, but I've never heard someone say it wasn't worth it in the end.

Happy Hunting!
Thank you for taking the time to respond! This is very reassuring to hear, and I'll just keep plugging along. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:20 pm

Any news on Hurwitz (CA9) movement?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:55 pm

Any movement at all? I feel like I'm hearing crickets.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”