2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lavarman84

Platinum

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:21 am

itsalmostover wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is a pretty anxiety-inducing read while waiting on 1L spring grades to be posted.
You'll be fine. The vast majority of judges haven't posted yet. Many recently posted, and many will open up in the next month or two. We're at the beginning of the 2019 hiring except for the feeders.
And including a good number of the feeders. Apparently there have been a few hires on 1L fall grades alone, but the vast majority of Class of 2019 graduates who will go directly to feeders will be hired in the next 8 weeks.
I'm a little confused because it seems CO 2019 can't even access OSCAR yet.
You can mail or email applications to the judge or have connected recommenders send your information to the judge.
How can we find out which judges have openings in order to mail or email the applications?
I'm assuming your clerkship office would have this information. If not, talk to someone who has access.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:42 pm

How late can one realistically wait to apply to a DC Cir, 2nd Cir, or 3rd Cir clerkship for the 19-20 cycle? No concern about feeder judges.

This summer? Fall? Spring 18? Summer 18?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:54 pm

That's a hard question to answer in the abstract. I can tell you that my perception is that over half of the DC Circuit judges have posted already (and a few have hired). There are also quite a few 2nd Circuit judges out there already (with some having already hired). I'd say there are quite a bit less 3rd Circuit judges than the other two who have posted or hired at this point.

Basically, if you want the DC Circuit, I'd start applying now. However, that doesn't mean that there won't be judges hiring between the fall and next summer from the DC Circuit. The pool is just shrinking dramatically.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Krause, Chagares, Ambro, Schwartz and Jordan have all made moves on 2019, so CA3 is filling up.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Krause, Chagares, Ambro, Schwartz and Jordan have all made moves on 2019, so CA3 is filling up.
You sure about Jordan? He hasn't opened on OSCAR yet. Did he hire one or more persons for 2019 that he interviewed for the 2018 term?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:58 am

Anyone know if Reinhardt is moving?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:16 am

Yes, Jordan has hired at least 1 for 2019. Probably not more than that though. So he has 2 spots left (plus his patent clerk).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:02 pm

Reinhardt hired 1 YLS for 2020 last week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Reinhardt is interviewing next week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:15 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Krause, Chagares, Ambro, Schwartz and Jordan have all made moves on 2019, so CA3 is filling up.
You sure about Jordan? He hasn't opened on OSCAR yet. Did he hire one or more persons for 2019 that he interviewed for the 2018 term?
Add McKee to this list - Oscar posting says he isn't anticipating accepting any more apps for 19-20.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:41 pm

Rising 2L @ MVP school w/grades that likely put me around top 8-10%. If I'm interested in a feeder clerkship but don't care what year (or would be happy doing it after doing a random district court judge in 2019), what's the move? My career services office told me not to do anything other than be ready when OSCAR opens but it seems like (as with so much career services advice) this is off.

Help. Please?

ETA: let me know if this deserves own thread.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rising 2L @ MVP school w/grades that likely put me around top 8-10%. If I'm interested in a feeder clerkship but don't care what year (or would be happy doing it after doing a random district court judge in 2019), what's the move? My career services office told me not to do anything other than be ready when OSCAR opens but it seems like (as with so much career services advice) this is off.

Help. Please?

This advice is not off if this is what your office told you to do. You could, however, go and ask for clerkship letters of recs from professors + talk to them about their experience clerking. If they clerked for a feeder judge, maybe they'd be willing to give you a shout-out.

Realistically, your clerkship office may just think you're not a 'prime' candidate for the kind of feeder judges that move this early (i.e., that move based on phone calls and personal connections). Just chill
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:49 pm

Ambro is hired through 2020-21

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:53 pm

OP here.

That makes sense, there are definitely people who had more consistent years than I did. I already have professors lined up to write for me. Appropriate to broach the topic of "off-line" applications?

Thanks! TLS you da best.
runinthefront wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rising 2L @ MVP school w/grades that likely put me around top 8-10%. If I'm interested in a feeder clerkship but don't care what year (or would be happy doing it after doing a random district court judge in 2019), what's the move? My career services office told me not to do anything other than be ready when OSCAR opens but it seems like (as with so much career services advice) this is off.

Help. Please?

This advice is not off if this is what your office told you to do. You could, however, go and ask for clerkship letters of recs from professors + talk to them about their experience clerking. If they clerked for a feeder judge, maybe they'd be willing to give you a shout-out.

Realistically, your clerkship office may just think you're a 'prime' candidate for the kind of feeder judges that move this early (i.e., that move based on phone calls and personal connections). Just chill

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Reinhardt is interviewing next week.
Is there anyone else on the 9th Circuit that's moving?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:42 pm

Watford and Friedland

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:35 pm

Fletcher apparently has his interviews lined up too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:11 pm

In a world full of unreliable clerkship gossip, the information in this thread is amazingly and even a little shockingly accurate. Respect, TLS.

(And if you're wondering whether you can trust the above Ninth Circuit intel, you can. It's all on the money.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:56 pm

Any updates on CA5 and CA11?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Fletcher apparently has his interviews lined up too.
I'm almost certain this isn't right.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:58 pm

could use some advice:

I'm competitive (~3.9 GPA, good recommenders at a T14) for the competitive CoA clerkships. My application is ready but have 2 (out of 4) letters from recommenders in. Not expecting the fourth for a while, just emailed the third today and they said if I *really* needed it they could get it done this week, otherwise it would be next week.

Reading that Watford, etc. are scheduling interviews got me spooked so I was hoping to apply this week. Best option?

a.) leaning on the recommender to get the letter in so I can send complete applications in this week.
b.) wait and send complete applications in next week.
c.) send applications in with 2 letters this week

Thanks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:could use some advice:

I'm competitive (~3.9 GPA, good recommenders at a T14) for the competitive CoA clerkships. My application is ready but have 2 (out of 4) letters from recommenders in. Not expecting the fourth for a while, just emailed the third today and they said if I *really* needed it they could get it done this week, otherwise it would be next week.

Reading that Watford, etc. are scheduling interviews got me spooked so I was hoping to apply this week. Best option?

a.) leaning on the recommender to get the letter in so I can send complete applications in this week.

Thanks.
B.

Don't let this Board fool you/stress you out. You're not behind the 8 ball whatsoever.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:30 pm

runinthefront wrote:

Thanks.
B.

Don't let this Board fool you/stress you out. You're not behind the 8 ball whatsoever.
I think this depends on what judges the OP is targeting and whether it's confirmed that they've started interviewing. I'm currently clerking for a CoA judge who's probably not considered "competitive" and even we're interviewing people and possibly making hiring decisions this week for 19-20. If I were advising someone interested in applying to my judge, I would say to send in the application ASAP so that they're on our radar and just say that the third letter will arrive in the next few weeks. On OSCAR, we get plenty of applications without any letters attached yet, let alone all of them, and paper apps will always have the letters come later anyway. If we really like an applicant, we won't wait for all of the letters before offering an interview. In a few weeks, most or all of the spots would be gone and the applicant likely wouldn't have a chance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any updates on CA5 ?
Smith is interviewing.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
runinthefront wrote:

Thanks.
B.

I think this depends on what judges the OP is targeting and whether it's confirmed that they've started interviewing. I'm currently clerking for a CoA judge who's probably not considered "competitive" and even we're interviewing people and possibly making hiring decisions this week for 19-20. If I were advising someone interested in applying to my judge, I would say to send in the application ASAP so that they're on our radar and just say that the third letter will arrive in the next few weeks. On OSCAR, we get plenty of applications without any letters attached yet, let alone all of them, and paper apps will always have the letters come later anyway. If we really like an applicant, we won't wait for all of the letters before offering an interview. In a few weeks, most or all of the spots would be gone and the applicant likely wouldn't have a chance.
Regardless of who I was targeting, I'd probably send without the third letter and say in the cover letter that a letter from Prof. Whoever will arrive separately. I have no opinion on whether OP is behind the 8 ball generally, but submitting with letters to arrive later is completely normal and it's almost always better to be on the judge's radar earlier. With your other materials, the judge will probably be able to decide whether you're in the "to interview" pile, and he can always wait until the letter from Prof. Whoever arrives if that's going to be a deciding factor.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”