2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:could use some advice:

I'm competitive (~3.9 GPA, good recommenders at a T14) for the competitive CoA clerkships. My application is ready but have 2 (out of 4) letters from recommenders in. Not expecting the fourth for a while, just emailed the third today and they said if I *really* needed it they could get it done this week, otherwise it would be next week.

Reading that Watford, etc. are scheduling interviews got me spooked so I was hoping to apply this week. Best option?

a.) leaning on the recommender to get the letter in so I can send complete applications in this week.
b.) wait and send complete applications in next week.
c.) send applications in with 2 letters this week

Thanks.
I'd go with C as well. I did this last year (indicating in the cover letter that recommendation letters from Profs. X, Y, and Z would arrive separately by mail) and a got an email from chambers asking specifically when Prof. X's letter would arrive. I forwarded this to Professor X, she quickly got the letter mailed out, and I ended up getting the interview and the job shortly after.

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:25 pm

Have a clerkship lined up for 2018-2019, applying for ones in 2019-20 shortly. Would it be entirely inappropriate to notify my 2018-2019 judge that I'm applying so he's not taken off guard if a judge calls asking about me? Of course I really just want to let my judge know so they might help me out somehow (even though I haven't started working for them yet), but if that's something future judges don't do or it would look so obvious as to be offputting, I won't do it.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:35 pm

OutoftheWoods wrote:Have a clerkship lined up for 2018-2019, applying for ones in 2019-20 shortly. Would it be entirely inappropriate to notify my 2018-2019 judge that I'm applying so he's not taken off guard if a judge calls asking about me? Of course I really just want to let my judge know so they might help me out somehow (even though I haven't started working for them yet), but if that's something future judges don't do or it would look so obvious as to be offputting, I won't do it.
It's fine. It also might be a good idea because doing successive clerkships may affect your end date with 2018-19 judge, and in some ways it's nice for chambers to know from the get-go where you're going afterward and, for example, that your 2018-19 judge isn't going to be caught off guard when you get an offer from a firm that wants you to start immediately. (IME, a judge that you haven't worked for yet probably isn't going to do a lot to help you, but I don't think it'll be harmful to mention that you're applying.)

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:43 pm

According to OSCAR, Watford is now full.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:53 pm

Anyone have any advice on the following:

I interviewed with Judge X (prominent SSC justice) a week or so ago. Prior to the interview Judge X asked if I was interviewing with any other judges, and I told the Judge that I was not (the truth at the time). I have not received a decision from Judge X, and I assume that I have been slow rolled because the judge knows that I don't have any other options.

I recently got an offer to interview with Judge Y (prominent CCA judge) next week.

I was planning on emailing Judge X's chambers to inform them that I will be interviewing with Judge Y, which will hopefully speed up the decision process. I would rather clerk with Judge X and would accept the offer on the spot without interviewing with Judge Y. Should I include this in the email, or is that too forceful.

Any input on how to word the email to Judge X's chambers is greatly appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LeeAllen

Bronze

Post by LeeAllen » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:47 pm

^I wouldn't include the "I'll accept on the spot if offered" bit. For better or worse, many judges already assume that the applicant will accept an offer if one is extended. Including the additional bit might come across as pandering.

Having been in a similar position, I think the best thing to do is inform Judge X that you have an interview on X date with another judge. Judge X will then expedite a decision.

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:29 pm

Is July 1st just a massive deluge of clerkship postings when 2Ls can officially "apply"? Bar study is kicking into gear and wondering what to expect...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:08 pm

Millett done per email

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:07 pm

OutoftheWoods wrote:Is July 1st just a massive deluge of clerkship postings when 2Ls can officially "apply"? Bar study is kicking into gear and wondering what to expect...
At least last year, there was no deluge. Afaik, most judges aren't waiting with bated breath for 2Ls to be able to apply through OSCAR before they update their postings. They hire when they want to hire.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WinterComing

Silver

Post by WinterComing » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:43 pm

Lavitz wrote:
OutoftheWoods wrote:Is July 1st just a massive deluge of clerkship postings when 2Ls can officially "apply"? Bar study is kicking into gear and wondering what to expect...
At least last year, there was no deluge. Afaik, most judges aren't waiting with bated breath for 2Ls to be able to apply through OSCAR before they update their postings. They hire when they want to hire.
Plus, a not entirely insignificant minority hire 2Ls before they can access OSCAR anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:43 pm

Would be grateful for any CA4 updates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:48 pm

Wardlaw has hired at least three (maybe all four?) for 2019

The_Lorax

Bronze

Post by The_Lorax » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:27 pm

Ikuta appears to be filled

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:55 pm

Wardlaw filled too (officially on OSCAR).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:24 pm

How did Wardlaw fill so fast? Seems like she just posted it on OSCAR. These Ninth Circuit judges are really moving.

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How did Wardlaw fill so fast? Seems like she just posted it on OSCAR. These Ninth Circuit judges are really moving.
I know. I couldn't even apply anyway while my letters are still being written. Wasn't too competitive for her really anyway, so I expect these are some really strong candidates for her to hire so fast! (or at least that's what I'm telling myself lol).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How did Wardlaw fill so fast? Seems like she just posted it on OSCAR. These Ninth Circuit judges are really moving.
For a lot of these judges, if you're waiting for the OSCAR posting, you're waiting too long. In general, I think it's a good idea to send paper apps to any judge you're interested in as soon as you get grades, unless you know that they're not hiring. You can always have a recommender follow up when they post the OSCAR posting.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
For a lot of these judges, if you're waiting for the OSCAR posting, you're waiting too long. In general, I think it's a good idea to send paper apps to any judge you're interested in as soon as you get grades, unless you know that they're not hiring. You can always have a recommender follow up when they post the OSCAR posting.
I believe Wardlaw always preferred paper apps anyway and required them even if you applied through OSCAR.

BulletTooth

Bronze

Post by BulletTooth » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Yes, I think the 9th Cir. is notorious for hiring early and quickly. I've heard that this may be due to the fact that some of the judges view it as a sort of competition as to who can get the most "qualified" clerks. I have a feeling that this sort of attitude isn't nearly as pronounced on other circuits.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:14 pm

It's not really "early" at all either. June has been a big clerkship hiring month the last few years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:57 pm

Any updates? Radio silence here. Applied to most circuits.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any updates? Radio silence here. Applied to most circuits.
same here

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
same here
Same boat, but I'm not expecting anything this early in the process. It feels like many of the judges who have posted this early are very selective.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:04 pm

It's a bit of an odd period. The feeders have already hired for 2019-20, as have the judges that routinely hire that far out (CA2). The more normal judges will start to go at the end of the summer and during the fall. By January or so, you can consider it late for 2019 COA clerkships.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:50 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:It's a bit of an odd period. The feeders have already hired for 2019-20, as have the judges that routinely hire that far out (CA2). The more normal judges will start to go at the end of the summer and during the fall. By January or so, you can consider it late for 2019 COA clerkships.
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
same here
Same boat, but I'm not expecting anything this early in the process. It feels like many of the judges who have posted this early are very selective.
I'm out here waiting on the feeders that haven't hired yet

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”