2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
runinthefront

Gold
Posts: 2147
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby runinthefront » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those who unsuccessfully applied to Kearse, did you recently receive a signed letter in the mail? I'm just wondering if she does this for everyone, or only those deep in the running.

What difference would/should this make to a rejected applicant? (I hope my tone doesn't come off aggressive/snarky; I'm genuinely curious)
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325924
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:14 pm

Because it indicates how competitive one is for other judges on that circuit. Thanks for taking the time to express your genuine curiosity.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325924
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Because it indicates how competitive one is for other judges on that circuit. Thanks for taking the time to express your genuine curiosity.


I received a signed Kearse rejection letter last year and came away with the impression that if she is that kind in her rejections she is probably an excellent judge to work for. I have no idea whether I was close to her hiring standard or not, but FWIW I was eventually hired on the 9th.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325924
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:20 pm

Thanks. I got the same exact impression.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325924
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:35 pm

I got a rejection letter from Kearse 2 years ago. Ended up with a different 2d circuit clerkship.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325924
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:44 pm

Has anyone heard back from Chief Judge Howell on DDC after an interview?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29312
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Because it indicates how competitive one is for other judges on that circuit. Thanks for taking the time to express your genuine curiosity.

I really don't think an individual judge's rejection practices serve as any kind of reliable indicator of your competitiveness.

User avatar
mjb447

Silver
Posts: 1280
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 am

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby mjb447 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:01 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Because it indicates how competitive one is for other judges on that circuit. Thanks for taking the time to express your genuine curiosity.

I really don't think an individual judge's rejection practices serve as any kind of reliable indicator of your competitiveness.

Yeah, I didn't think runinthefront's question was unreasonable. Clerk hiring is idosyncratic, so you can't know if something in your application that made ALK like you (not enough to hire you, though) is something that another judge is going to like. To the extent that competitive for ALK is also competitive for other judges, you probably already have a lot of information about whether you're generally competitive because you know what law school you went to, what your GPA/class rank were, what your work/extracurrics are, etc. Not sure how much additional information there is in a single written rejection. (Also, it's worth noting that some judges on the 2d [e.g. RCW, PWH] are willing to reach a lot lower than others [e.g. RAK, PNL, GEL, DAL]. )

Anonymous User
Posts: 325924
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also curious if anyone has received a Wilkins (DC Cir) interview. His OSCAR profile says interviewees will be notified no later than Monday 2/13.


Anyone get a call today? Assuming if we don't hear today then it's a ding.


He appears to be following his OSCAR post.


Apparently, Wilkins has now finished hiring up to 2019-20. (!)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
radio1nowhere

Bronze
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby radio1nowhere » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:39 pm

le tag

Anonymous User
Posts: 325924
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:03 pm

Anyone heard from Thacker on the 4th Cir.?

User avatar
anon sequitur

Silver
Posts: 658
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby anon sequitur » Wed May 10, 2017 11:58 am

People giving up on 2018-19 already?

User avatar
deuceindc

Bronze
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby deuceindc » Wed May 10, 2017 1:00 pm

anon sequitur wrote:People giving up on 2018-19 already?


Not entirely, but the numbers are simply against us at this point. Don't fight reality.

User avatar
nothingtosee

Silver
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby nothingtosee » Wed May 10, 2017 1:28 pm

deuceindc wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:People giving up on 2018-19 already?


Not entirely, but the numbers are simply against us at this point. Don't fight reality.


Numbers were always against you. There are still many good judges hiring

User avatar
mjb447

Silver
Posts: 1280
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 am

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby mjb447 » Wed May 10, 2017 1:43 pm

I think people have more of an opportunity to 'shop' and be strategic earlier in the cycle when there are more positions available and a lot of hiring is happening all at once. Most of the activity in this thread is about shopping and being strategic, so there are fewer questions now. Doesn't mean people have totally given up or that you can't still land a good position for this term.

magikarp

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:09 am

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby magikarp » Wed May 10, 2017 7:10 pm

mjb447 wrote:I think people have more of an opportunity to 'shop' and be strategic earlier in the cycle when there are more positions available and a lot of hiring is happening all at once. Most of the activity in this thread is about shopping and being strategic, so there are fewer questions now. Doesn't mean people have totally given up or that you can't still land a good position for this term.


^^^

Anonymous User
Posts: 325924
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 11, 2017 12:41 pm

I think people have more of an opportunity to 'shop' and be strategic earlier in the cycle when there are more positions available and a lot of hiring is happening all at once. Most of the activity in this thread is about shopping and being strategic, so there are fewer questions now. Doesn't mean people have totally given up or that you can't still land a good position for this term.


Is it already past this stage for the 19-20 cycle?

Anonymous User
Posts: 325924
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 11, 2017 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I think people have more of an opportunity to 'shop' and be strategic earlier in the cycle when there are more positions available and a lot of hiring is happening all at once. Most of the activity in this thread is about shopping and being strategic, so there are fewer questions now. Doesn't mean people have totally given up or that you can't still land a good position for this term.


Is it already past this stage for the 19-20 cycle?


No but it's right at that stage. The biggest rush of hiring is starting now and will run through the summer. I got my 18-19 clerkship this time last year and there was a ton of activity around that time.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325924
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 11, 2017 5:31 pm

I just got a 2018–2019 interview this week, and plenty of district judges I've applied to haven't hired yet. Bigger-name judges do tend to hire earlier, but many perfectly solid district judges are planning for interviews in summer/fall. No reason to panic yet!

Anonymous User
Posts: 325924
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 17, 2017 9:08 pm

Anyone with a bankruptcy clerkship offer? Haven't seen much movement with bk judges.

deh4

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:31 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby deh4 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:43 pm

Recommender suggestions?

So I'm a bit behind but there are still some local district court positions open that I'm looking into for 2018.

Of these possibilities, who should I approach about being recommenders:

state district judge (externship)
Well known public interest firm (SA2)

Con. law II prof (well known in the circuit, but only have had one class with him, I'm not worried about this from his point of view, but rather the judge seeing it as only a one off class.)
Judicial externship professor, who I'm currently a research assistant for.
Crim/Int. Crim professor, (professor I'm closest too and 2 of my highest grades, but he doesn't have many ties to the circuit)

As it stands I'm thinking:
Public Interest firm
Externship/RA prof.
Con law II prof.

Thanks for any help. Also, if a judge is non-participating on Oscar, what is the best way to find out their application timelines?

User avatar
nothingtosee

Silver
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby nothingtosee » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:07 pm

deh4 wrote:Recommender suggestions?

So I'm a bit behind but there are still some local district court positions open that I'm looking into for 2018.

Of these possibilities, who should I approach about being recommenders:

state district judge (externship)
Well known public interest firm (SA2)

Con. law II prof (well known in the circuit, but only have had one class with him, I'm not worried about this from his point of view, but rather the judge seeing it as only a one off class.)
Judicial externship professor, who I'm currently a research assistant for.
Crim/Int. Crim professor, (professor I'm closest too and 2 of my highest grades, but he doesn't have many ties to the circuit)

As it stands I'm thinking:
Public Interest firm
Externship/RA prof.
Con law II prof.

Thanks for any help. Also, if a judge is non-participating on Oscar, what is the best way to find out their application timelines?


I would replace Con Law prof with Crim Prof, unless Con Law Prof a) is known for making calls/reaching out and b) you think he/she would do that for you. A professor who writes a great rec > a big name prof who writes a solid but non-noteworthy rec

Anonymous User
Posts: 325924
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from Thacker on the 4th Cir.?


Late reply, and I'm applying for 2019-2020, but I got a hand-signed ding shortly after applying. I get the sense she wants WV ties.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325924
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:55 pm

nothingtosee wrote:
deh4 wrote:Recommender suggestions?

So I'm a bit behind but there are still some local district court positions open that I'm looking into for 2018.

Of these possibilities, who should I approach about being recommenders:

state district judge (externship)
Well known public interest firm (SA2)

Con. law II prof (well known in the circuit, but only have had one class with him, I'm not worried about this from his point of view, but rather the judge seeing it as only a one off class.)
Judicial externship professor, who I'm currently a research assistant for.
Crim/Int. Crim professor, (professor I'm closest too and 2 of my highest grades, but he doesn't have many ties to the circuit)

As it stands I'm thinking:
Public Interest firm
Externship/RA prof.
Con law II prof.

Thanks for any help. Also, if a judge is non-participating on Oscar, what is the best way to find out their application timelines?


I would replace Con Law prof with Crim Prof, unless Con Law Prof a) is known for making calls/reaching out and b) you think he/she would do that for you. A professor who writes a great rec > a big name prof who writes a solid but non-noteworthy rec


I would be careful about the bolded statement above. For at least some judges, it is incorrect: if judges know a particular professor or hold him/her in high esteem for whatever reason (scholarship, reputation, previous work, etc.), that prof's recommendation, even if not as glowing, can carry more weight than a professor who knows the applicant better. I've had judges (multiple) say this to me in person, during interviews, about how much they respect/value the word of particular professors. I'd advise you ask your career services office for more info on this particular question, at the least.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325924
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:02 pm

Has Pallmeyer (ND-IL) made her calls yet?



Return to “Judicial Clerkships?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.