2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from Thacker on the 4th Cir.?
Late reply, and I'm applying for 2019-2020, but I got a hand-signed ding shortly after applying. I get the sense she wants WV ties.
Thacker doesn't care about WV ties. She's just fairly selective.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Late reply, and I'm applying for 2019-2020, but I got a hand-signed ding shortly after applying. I get the sense she wants WV ties.
OP who reported the ding here. I'm a little skeptical this is true given that she's never interviewed or hired from my school (HYS) and a quick google search indicates that most, if not all, of her past clerks attended schools in VA or WV. But you may have more info than I do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP who reported the ding here. I'm a little skeptical this is true given that she's never interviewed or hired from my school (HYS) and a quick google search indicates that most, if not all, of her past clerks attended schools in VA or WV. But you may have more info than I do.
I have more info than you do. Your google search also yielded misleading results. You do realize she's only been on the bench five years, right? But I should've said she doesn't care about ties nearly as much as you've suggested (in both your posts)..

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I have more info than you do. Your google search also yielded misleading results. You do realize she's only been on the bench five years, right? But I should've said she doesn't care about ties nearly as much as you've suggested (in both your posts)..
Fair enough. Not worth getting Mad Online about this. All I'm trying to say is that based on the info available to me (no hires from my HYS school, when all of the other Obama appointees on CA4 have hired from my school, and a half-dozen bios of former clerks who all seem to have regional ties), it seems like she cares more about ties than, perhaps, the average circuit judge. Maybe even significantly more. That's all. She sends lovely rejection letters so it was worth applying regardless.

surrealfx

New

Post by surrealfx » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:25 pm

Does anyone know if Judge Jane Boyle in the Northern District of Texas has hired for 2018-19 yet? She has two positions listed on Oscar, and her page was last updated January 2017. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:22 pm

Anyone hear movement on Mass SJC? Apps opened a few weeks back, but I have no clue what the interview/offer timeline is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:33 pm

Anyone have any luck/hear anything for district courts in Florida? Also, does anyone know if Middlebrooks has started interviewing yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Trying to figure out how competitive I would be for a clerkship. Finished in the top 20% both semesters at Vandy. On a secondary journal and am willing to go almost anywhere to clerk for a federal judge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:56 pm

Anyone heard anything from CAAF in the last little while?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pure Applesauce

Bronze

Post by Pure Applesauce » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Trying to figure out how competitive I would be for a clerkship. Finished in the top 20% both semesters at Vandy. On a secondary journal and am willing to go almost anywhere to clerk for a federal judge.
Just apply

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:31 am

Always love that advice. Like there's no cost to it in terms of favors from recommenders, hours on perfecting shit, endless #snowflake heartache. Unless that was a really subtle good luck follow your dreams gag. I have no idea the answer to the question but know just apply is never it.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:51 am

I think just apply is pretty good advice, actually.

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:20 am

hdunlop wrote:Always love that advice. Like there's no cost to it in terms of favors from recommenders, hours on perfecting shit, endless #snowflake heartache. Unless that was a really subtle good luck follow your dreams gag. I have no idea the answer to the question but know just apply is never it.
After you prepare the first application, the marginal cost per application is nothing (OSCAR) or the cost of paper and mailing (hard copy). The recommendations are already written, the writing sample is already proofed, etc. Because you never know what in your application package might catch a judge's or clerk's eye, "just apply broadly" is excellent advice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:26 am

wwwcol wrote:
hdunlop wrote:Always love that advice. Like there's no cost to it in terms of favors from recommenders, hours on perfecting shit, endless #snowflake heartache. Unless that was a really subtle good luck follow your dreams gag. I have no idea the answer to the question but know just apply is never it.
After you prepare the first application, the marginal cost per application is nothing (OSCAR) or the cost of paper and mailing (hard copy). The recommendations are already written, the writing sample is already proofed, etc. Because you never know what in your application package might catch a judge's or clerk's eye, "just apply broadly" is excellent advice.
Agree - if you're truly willing to go anywhere to clerk consistent with your goals (can be a big if), applying anywhere you might conceivably have a chance is a fine thing to do. In any event, it's pretty hard to chance people outside of very broad categories (e.g. someone might be outside the realm where it makes sense to apply to most feeders, or SDNY judges, or COA judges), so once someone's within the ballpark applying usually makes more sense than spending time debating whether they should.

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:57 am

I took the question to be about clerkships generally not one more additional specific clerkship. The marginal cost of another is low but the cost of the first one is huge.

Sacred Cow

New

Post by Sacred Cow » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:17 am

For real advice, ask Vandy's clerkship office. Clerkships aren't like law school admissions where there is a wealth of publicly available data and predictable indicators of success. There are factors that make it more likely someone will get a clerkship, but no one here can tell you for sure whether it will work out. My instinct is that your chances aren't great, but as others have said, you never know what's going to a catch a judge's eye. If you really want to clerk, the only way to find out is to apply. It's up to you whether that time investment is worth it.
Last edited by Sacred Cow on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:34 am

hdunlop wrote:I took the question to be about clerkships generally not one more additional specific clerkship. The marginal cost of another is low but the cost of the first one is huge.
It's really not. It's part of profs' jobs to write LORs. Cover letters are not THAT hard. So you work up a writing sample. It's not a huge emotional drain or something - it's a job application. Like if the application process is that difficult how will you ever get jobs not through OCI?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:52 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
hdunlop wrote:I took the question to be about clerkships generally not one more additional specific clerkship. The marginal cost of another is low but the cost of the first one is huge.
It's really not. It's part of profs' jobs to write LORs. Cover letters are not THAT hard. So you work up a writing sample. It's not a huge emotional drain or something - it's a job application. Like if the application process is that difficult how will you ever get jobs not through OCI?
+1. In the grand scheme of law school/being a lawyer, proofing a ~10 page document, drafting a three-paragraph cover letter, and asking a few profs for help (that they should expect students to ask for) is not "huge." Depending on how stale your writing sample, cover letter, and resume are you might be more than halfway there already.

Pure Applesauce

Bronze

Post by Pure Applesauce » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:12 pm

It's .... huge? Really? I don't think so. Writing a cover letter is easy. Writing sample is done. Resume should already be done. Transcript easy. LORs can be a pain but a "huge" cost lol.

It's not hard at all. Just apply is the best advice because anyone telling you otherwise for "top 20% at vandy" is basically guessing

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:09 pm

Guess I'm just a snowflake

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has Pallmeyer (ND-IL) made her calls yet?

I know someone who accepted an offer with J Pallmeyer about two weeks ago.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:19 pm

surrealfx wrote:Does anyone know if Judge Jane Boyle in the Northern District of Texas has hired for 2018-19 yet? She has two positions listed on Oscar, and her page was last updated January 2017. Thanks.
I know someone who accepted an offer about a week or two ago.

surrealfx

New

Post by surrealfx » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:15 pm

HillandHollow wrote:
surrealfx wrote:Does anyone know if Judge Jane Boyle in the Northern District of Texas has hired for 2018-19 yet? She has two positions listed on Oscar, and her page was last updated January 2017. Thanks.
I know someone who accepted an offer about a week or two ago.
Thanks for the update.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:55 pm

Terrence Boyle sent me a follow up questionairre after my application. Is that something he sends to everyone or is that a sign that I'm being seriously considered for an interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Terrence Boyle sent me a follow up questionairre after my application. Is that something he sends to everyone or is that a sign that I'm being seriously considered for an interview?
Same anon. I got invited to interview. Just posting for posterity I guess

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”