D.DC Magistrate Judges Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

D.DC Magistrate Judges

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:56 pm

How are magistrate judges viewed more broadly? Are D.DC magistrates viewed more favorably? I'm looking at a few, but don't know if they would be treated comparably to an actual A3 judge.

Anonymous User

Re: D.DC Magistrate Judges

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:03 am

Bump

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How are magistrate judges viewed more broadly? Are D.DC magistrates viewed more favorably? I'm looking at a few, but don't know if they would be treated comparably to an actual A3 judge.
I am sure a magistrate judge clerkship is useful and good experience, but they are probably viewed less favorably than bankruptcy clerkships. Most biglaw firms don't, as far as I know, offer the $50K bonus for a magistrate clerkship, suggesting they don't really value it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:54 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:40 pm

It's good experience in as much as you'll learn a lot about nuts and bolts of early litigation (probably, it depends on the district). It's almost definitely not gonna help you lateral to a better biglaw firm. Not sure why you'd want to do it if you're in biglaw unless it's to try to establish yourself in a new market. It will help with government jobs some too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:14 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:23 am

No idea, but if your firm is cool with you coming back then I can understand wanting to do it for the experience. Just would not do it unless I had a pretty clear understanding that I was welcome back at my firm. Mag clerking for me was a nice job after the first month or so of a tough learning curve.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:28 am

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Anyone know how the DDC docket compares to others?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”